Old player returning

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Aust

Old player returning

Post by Aust »

Hello, everyone!

I played Illarion for quite a while, ending some years back, and have decided to check the game out again.

Apparently the VBU has arrived, and with it a new fighting system. I put quite a bit of time into training my old char. Aeridor Isthil, in fighting, and don't want to make a poor decision when converting my defensive skills into light, medium or heavy armour, or in any other necessary conversions I will face.

While I realize all these specializations probably have their advantages, what would be the best one for a typical fighter?

In case it is relevant, Aeridor is a quite high strength and dexterity character, with high constitution and intelligence. His dexterity and perception are rather low, as are his essence and willpower.

I'd be grateful for any help!

Øyvind
Annabeth

Re: Old player returning

Post by Annabeth »

Velkommen tilbake.

No armor is supposed to be optimal, though heavy might possibly be the best start since it counters archers and then you'd only have to worry about using the correct weapon to counter your melee opponents armor in a close range battle.
Aust

Post by Aust »

Takk, Annabeth =)

Wouldn't my weapon be largely determined by my already high slashing skill?
Lord Arcia

Post by Lord Arcia »

Oyvind!
Aust

Post by Aust »

Hi, Walt! Still kicking?=)

Using Skype these days, I'll send you a PM with my username ;)
Ranwyln

Post by Ranwyln »

I think heavy armour will be the best choice in the beginning, from my feeling most higher level monsters in the wilderness arent to good against a high lvl heavy armour carrier. Slashing determines your weapons to Axes/Swords in the beginning and you should try to get a weapon near to your slashing skill or you will wonder why you have problems killing things with a normal non-magic serinjah (at least i did when i came back :) ) and welcome back.
Aust

Post by Aust »

Thanks, Ranwyln!

What do you mean by:
"Slashing determines your weapons to Axes/Swords in the beginning and you should try to get a weapon near to your slashing skill or you will wonder why you have problems killing things with a normal non-magic serinjah"?
That I should level another weapon skill in addition to slashing? Or are weapons themselves leveled?
Ranwyln

Post by Ranwyln »

We have Blunt/Slashing/Piercing weapons. Slashing is as i know Axes/Swords and normally its best to first max one skill and than go for another (but thats as you like ), blunt seems to be pretty good against a lot of monsters too. You only level one of the three categorys (Slash,Blunt, Piercing ) and no single weapons (but could be a nice idea too ;) )