A question on parrying

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ufedhin

A question on parrying

Post by Ufedhin »

I have been asked by a number of new players how do you learn to parry? ,obviously this is not something new characters learn with any ease.
So i put it to the test and found out they have a very valid point ,how do you learn to parry?and can parry be learnt while using a two handed weapon?

The new character i generated has fought almost non stop for three days ,learning fine on armour and slashing but not advanced one little point in parry.Despite having 5 points in this to start with,changing shields, tactics even standing and letting something pummel you for 5 min and then getting a swirly for slashing it the very next second does no good.

So i ask if an old hand at the game cant learn parry with a new character how do the new comers to the game find out how?
Mr.Oldie

Re: A question on parrying

Post by Mr.Oldie »

I hear there is a small glitch with parrying as of now.
Hopefully its only with low lvl parry. it has got something to do with low lvl shields.

As far as i know:
Best wasy you can learn parry is by holding shields.
Two handed weapons can parry, but learning is on a very low percentage when using them.

For confirmation please ask DEVs :)
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

With my new character, I have learned over 20 fighting levels between armor and weapon skills. But I haven't learned one single level of parry. I have tried with/ without a shield, the 0 level shield and a 10 level shield. Nothing lets me gain. Something is obviously wrong.
Leena

Post by Leena »

Leena has been stuck at level 37 parry for months... she has tried different shields... and has put on and off a number of times the cursed shield... so I guess it is bugged as well... she would really like to be able to use the level 40 shield but nothing works to increase that skill.. any suggestions? Leena
Caldarion

Post by Caldarion »

it is bugged indeed.
You have the chance to learn parry if you suceed to block a blow of an enemy.
What would be a more reasonable way to learn parry?
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

I would think any blow from an enemy would up parry. If you block it, WOO! If you don't block it, OW! On the other hand, the devs may be trying to figure out what the issue is right now and will explain it soon. ;)
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

I think the solution is actually pretty simple... at low level its very hard to block an actual blow so no exp is gained. BUT blocking rate greatly increases if the armor you wear is strong against the weapon being used against you. so you need to face an opponent using a weapon thats weak against your armor and you'll actually be able to block... soon enough, you'll get some parry levels. It will progress slower than the other skills but its still there at least,
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

With the new update, my character has been able to learn parry levels 0-9 at a reasonable pace. However now seems to be stuck at level 9 and unable to upgrade to the next shield level 10. I know he is not maxed on learning since he continues to learn other skills easily. I have fought him against various different monster types and difficulties. His parry level is falling far behind his other fighting skills and is stuck using a level 0 shield. Is parry still bugged? or am I doing something wrong?
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Try without a shield and try holding more than one monster at a time. My new character easily went up beyond level 10 quite quickly holding 2 - 3 slimes at a time.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

How does dropping your shield help you parry? I have gone without the shield to raise my armor skill but a shield helps parry.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

No idea, but was learning parry just fine and dandy without a shield.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

Armor... if you wear medium fight something/someone using slashing... and so on. This greatly increases the chance to parry a hit, which thus increases parry exp