Really struggling to raise armor skill...

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Really struggling to raise armor skill...

Post by Pendar »

I know this is a "tricky" topic as there are so many variables, but since I have returned I have managed to gain one point in medium armor, thats from 24 - 25. That last gain was also pretty random and over a week ago.
I would imagine that at low levels it should be relatively easy to get?
lately I have only been wearing armor below my skill being at skill level 25 my choices are limited to medium armor skill 20 and leggings skill 0. (The purple guardian armor, short wooden bracers)
Now of course having a really high parry is likely not helping but considering how often I have died and how much time I have spent sparing with characters, it just feels like I should have gained a little.

Yesterday a person I was sparing with, with a higher armor level gained and despite my low level, I did not. I have even allowed slimes to just nibble on me as an experiment and not seen any gain. I have also sparred with a mix of players, more skilled, less skilled, different weapons etc.

Any thoughts? I am not looking for easy gains or to game the system, just at this moment it feels futile. I doubt its a bug or anything as I can gain other skills easily enough just a little stumped as to what I could be doing incorrectly to not gain at such a low level.
Thanks for any insight anyone may have.
Djironnyma

Re: Really struggling to raise armor skill...

Post by Djironnyma »

Some points you have to keep in mind:
  • Your or any other char learn fast with a low number of MC-Points. You gain MC points by every action which gain skill (you gain skill by every action which need a skill not only if you have a skill up). You lose MC-Points by time - except you are idling - so if you explore or RP e.g..
  • You cant learn if your enemy is too weak / the attackers skill have to be at least: your skill -20 points.
  • If you wear a shild by training and have a high parry skill you use mostly parry for defense and not your armor skill, since its learning by doing you learn nearly no armor skill then. better use no shild if you want train your armor skill
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Thanks for you input....:)
I do not think MC-points are the issue, I idle/rp a lot but its true I may have had days where I used my MC points by mining or smelting.

In theory a slime should still potentially cause skill gain then as I only have 25 medium armor, so if they have uh unarmed of even 10, I am still within the right level? Or is it a case of I need to fight enemies with at least a skill of 70 as my slashing is in the 90s?

Have been using a two handed weapon as yes with a shield I simply parry too often.

Thanks for your time, as I say not looking to game the system just frustrating to keep training and never see a gain.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

To idle dont lower your MC-Points you have to do soemthing, Your Slashing skill have no influence on training your Armor skill the only what counts is the attack skill of your enemy.
Pendar

Post by Pendar »

Sorry idle was a really bad choice of words, if you stand around typing as such rping, that should lower the MC-points.
Thanks for the information.

Messing around a little I was able to gain a little, which is all I needed to see. This can be locked, moved, deleted, all is well in the world :)