Wearing items with no proper skill

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Fruian

Wearing items with no proper skill

Post by Fruian »

Hello, I wanted to ask what happens if somebody wears armor or weapons for which the character has no proper skill. Are there some penalties involved? For instance not gaining any skill in that field while wearing the item.
Annabeth

Re: Wearing items with no proper skill

Post by Annabeth »

You can still gain skill with weapons up to 40 levels above your skill level, though not higher than that.
Not sure about the other things.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

There is no real penalty. Just the usual effects of a low skill apply. Weapons do less damage, hit slower and hit weaker. Armors protect less and get hit more often.

Nitram
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Does it effect skill gain at all, does an armor beyond my level slow the rate at which one would gain skill?
Perhaps even more importantly if you have a skill of 60 but your wearing a level 40 armor, skill gain will still be normal? I never wish to see my character in lizard armor again? :)
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

If you wear an armour above your level, you learn nothing.

If you wear an armour below your level you can learn up to the armour level + 20. So if you wear an armour with the level 40 you can learn with that until reaching 60.
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Jupiter wrote:If you wear an armour above your level, you learn nothing.

If you wear an armour below your level you can learn up to the armour level + 20. So if you wear an armour with the level 40 you can learn with that until reaching 60.
This might be a bit of a problem... just speaking from the point of light armors... leather...
lvl 10 leather scale armour
lvl 40 half leather armour (+30 lvls over previous)
lvl 80 light hunting armour (+40 lvls over previous)

As you can see, reaching half and light hunting armour levels would be impossible, according to what Jupiter wrote, so I hope something is off somewhere. Someone please verify this.

Thanks!
PO ~Uhuru~
Leena

Post by Leena »

light breast plate is at level 20.. not sure what is in between 40 and 80..
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

You have to take all armour parts into consideration, Uhuru. Only the armour part which is hit is important.

Example: Your skill is 80. In you torso you wear an 50 armour. Every part else is protected by armour >= 61 (and <= 80). You do NOT learn when your torso is hit. But you learn whenever any other body part is hit.

We lack some armour to cover all level properly, yes, but you can still reach 100 with the current available armour.

Edit: And it is always better to wear armour than to not wear armour when it comes to protection. I saw people without shoes because they thought they wouldn't learn if they wear shoes not fitting their levels (that is true, but they wouldn't learn in both cases when their feet got hit)
Pendar
Location: Founding member of H.A.L ~home for abused lichs~http://h.a.l.istheshit.net/

Post by Pendar »

Medium armor poses the problem of having lizard armor at 60....
It looks beyond ridiculous on a human male, to the point where I think anyone would stop you and go what are you wearing!!!???

Would it not be possible or even practical to compensate for our lack of graphics by reusing the same graphics?
So one could have elven steel for skill 40 and then hardened elven steel skill 60. Thus reusing old graphics, eventually creating some variation on paper dolls when we get that back and not forcing players to wear something awkward.

I love this system it makes me strive for items, role play with smiths and keeps me acquiring new items, then it falls flat when I see my next step in armor makes me look a legend of zelda cos-play mishap :)

I also find that when I wear chain legs which are some 50 levels above my skill, skill gain simply stops, soon as I changed into armor all my level I got through ten points in no time. Which makes some sense except it seemed to just freeze my gains, not just slow them as would be the case if it there was just no gain on the legs. Thats immaterial though I think an idea like the above would keep all the good in the system of making me upgrade and get new stuff. At the same time not making one want to pg in private for days to avoid armor ;)
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

i didnt undersand what the problem is- sorry
1 ) I like the new system for armor and weapons :wink:
2 ) why should you not use an lizard armor as a human / elf / dwarf / halfling? -> there is no tail to be seen ... it looks like normal armor ... in green color (Lor Angur armor has blue color)
3 ) most of the armor for legs looks funny
4 ) shadow plate needs to be light armor -> otherwise there is a gap between lvl 60 - lvl100 (only for hand / leg / feet is lvl 70 armor)
5 ) bigest gap is for medium armor (hands) -> only lvl 90 (salkamarian steel gloves)
Pendar

Post by Pendar »

I think my concerns about lizard armor on humans is best summed up with an image...

It just...well...awkward much? lol
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Yeah, there really is no need at all for an arse poking out merrily like that :wink:

Coming back to wearing the (above your current level) chain pants - admittedly you will not gain skill as fast because you only have a 4 in 5 chance of gaining skill (assuming you wear helmet, torso armor, gloves and boots within your skill range) - but you still should gain because the parts of your characters body you wear in your range armor on will be hit and your character will be better protected. Moreover holding a shield lessens even more that chance of gaining in your desired armour category further, because it is intended for parry.

Take from that what you will. It is merely my experience!
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

@Pendar:

1) the lizard armor is fine
2) the problem are the pants (leg armor)