Smithing question

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Eratosthenes

Smithing question

Post by Eratosthenes »

Trying to be as self-sufficient as I can, I am working on smithing right now. It went rather well till level 20, but I seem stuck now. Excessive smelting of ores doesn't seem to help. Manufacturing lots of needles and other smithing tools doesn't seem to help as well. A higher level of smithing is definitely needed, as there are some useful tools I still can't make, such as the shovel, for example. So I wonder... am i doing something wrong? Going from smithing 19 to 20 was rather easy, but it seems impossible to go from 20 to 21, whatever I am doing.
Any suggestions and help will be appreciated.
Perry

Re: Smithing question

Post by Perry »

I THINK you need to always smelt the last items that you get when you level up. Those level you faster than those from lower levels.
Eratosthenes

Post by Eratosthenes »

I'll try to make it more quantitative. I managed to advance from smithing 19 to 20 by mining about 40 coal and 40 iron ores, then smelting them to make 40 iron bars. Now, at smithing 20, I mined about 200 ores of each kind and made 200 iron bars; also made about 100 smithing tools. After all that, I am still smithing 20. So either there is a huge gap once you reach level 20 (which doesn't seem to be the case with other skills, such as carpentry, woodcutting, or mining) or I am missing something here.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Lets say you learn an item at lvl 5. You can lvl up from that item for 20 levels. Meaning at lvl 25 you can not learn from that item anymore.

Smelting provides skill up to lvl 20. So previously you were getting experience from smelting AND smithing, now only from smithing. Also, how many materials you use or items you make is irrelevant. You get experience for how long your doing the action. So the ideal item to make is an item that takes a long time to make, but has simple material requirements. And of course an item you still learn from.
Leon Demelii

Post by Leon Demelii »

Goldsmithing needs to be reworked.

Why do I only learn from icebird amulets and archmage rings?

I mean.... really? The materials are more of a hassle than the work itself.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

You should be able to max out on topaz amulets.

But yes, i see your point >.<
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Leon Demelii wrote:Goldsmithing needs to be reworked.
With next patch, you will get a high number of new products for goldsmithing. Also, it is simply not true that you can master this craft with the two mentioned items, only.
Eratosthenes

Post by Eratosthenes »

The hint about how leveling skills works helped a lot, thank you. I believe such information should be sticked (in a separate thread, together with other valuable information concerning game mechanisms.)
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

I have gone over Smithing level 20, easily and I have never done more than smelting and making tools.
Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

well i started smithing with 90 so my post here is totally useless

:)