Documentation

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Eratosthenes

Documentation

Post by Eratosthenes »

Greetings, dear Illarion community,
I just joined the game, which I find very interesting. However, I have to say it's hard to start, mainly because I can't find any documentation. Something that will tell me what smithing skill is needed to make a hatchet, for example. Such a documentation is usually found in wiki pages in other games. I looked up on forums and found this post, which, unfortunately, points to dead links (if I understand well, the wiki, or "Illapedia" seems to be down.)
It is true that some players i asked about were friendly and helped me, but I don't want to bother others by asking again and again about everything I need to know.
Furthermore, I find it very frustrating that you need carving tools to make... carving tools (same with other tools, such as the plane.) This is not intuiting, and one would expect that, to make carving tools, you probably need handles and blades, but certainly not carving tools. I am afraid that this would drive many people away the game, which would be a pity, as the game is otherwise very good.
Another problem is that you need wood to make a hammer, but you can't get wood without a hatchet, and it's not possible to make a hatchet as a newbie, so you have to buy it (and in some realms merchants won't even sell a hatchet so you need to pay extra to teleport.) All those things are more frustrating because you don't know in advance what you need to make a given item, and what skill is needed.
Maybe I am not aware of a webpage that documents all those things, in which case I'll be glad if you can give me directions.

Thank you in advance :roll:
Salathe

Re: Documentation

Post by Salathe »

AFAIK there currently is no such thing.

Immediately after spending that ~45 minutes with you yesterday, i proposed making tutorial videos. Waiting to hear back before I begin on it though.
Eratosthenes

Post by Eratosthenes »

I believe some kind of wiki, often found in many games, would be the best choice (probably the "Illapedia", which I assume doesn't exist anymore). But any kind of decent documentation will help. None wants to bother others about things that should be documented. As it is now, I am afraid an otherwise very good game makes most of the newcomers to give up...
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

I"ve raised almost the same concern many times in IRC channel...
as i said there.. i would like to help in the making of illapedia too by entering.. details.. images and such... already have quite a few images with me which i used in the creation of shops and all IG..if there is such a link or anything let me know so tht i can contribute too..

as far as the beginners tools are concerned.. giving one tool of that type at the begining of the game while choosing the type items set would be enough(which is already being done i think).. another option would be to "use" the table or anvil or respective static tool... which will then show the list of basic tools needed for that particular trade.. to be made from basic items found naturally or smething..

but i suppose the above options will decrease interaction and roleplaying... as well as there would be need to write more codes for this... the time which i suppose could be used for better additions to game than this...

instead of starting out with the tools and alll the clothes and alll.. noobia could be made more interactive and roleplayable by giving more options for choosing items from each "teacher";;; this will also enable in better understnading of equiping and all.. and also to chose what craft or path one wants, the things could be given as quest rewards (with choices from various may be).. limiting it to 2-3 paths of craftmanship or warrior types would be cool if leaving noobia with too many types of tools/weapons is bad...

and the limitations of crafts in each realm could be explained in either noobia or illapedia... in forums its already discussed, but lets face it only a few new players go through the whole forum for info at the very begining itself...
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

There will be no Illapedia again. It proved not to work. If there is going to be a documentation in some way, it will probably become an own homepage section.
Eratosthenes

Post by Eratosthenes »

If Illapedia proved not to work, perhaps the best way to explain things to new players is via quests. For example, a smith NPC at Galmair could give quests teaching the player: maybe sending him to the NPC in the mines to learn about mining, then asking for a few basic tools. Similarly, a glass maker NPC at Cadomyr could tell the player that he/she needs two shovels (iron and wooden one,) then could ask for sand, then quartz, then glass ingots, then some bottles.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Eratosthenes wrote: maybe sending him to the NPC in the mines to learn about mining, then asking for a few basic tools. Similarly, a glass maker NPC at Cadomyr could tell the player that he/she needs two shovels (iron and wooden one,) then could ask for sand, then quartz, then glass ingots, then some bottles.
That sould be done by the tutorial.
Robert_Thwaite

Post by Robert_Thwaite »

Salathe wrote:AFAIK there currently is no such thing.

Immediately after spending that ~45 minutes with you yesterday, i proposed making tutorial videos. Waiting to hear back before I begin on it though.
A few months ago i did actually raise the idea of creating instructional videos and an up to date FAQ. Everyone was supportive of the ideas until i started asking for assistance.
As a non player it is hard for me to create these videos and write up the new FAQ like i did the old one (I was an active player at the time of writing that).

If i understand that as an offer of assistance then i would gladly you up on that offer as i would anyone else offering to assist.

The main things that would need to be covered are skills and common issues that aren't currently covered by the tutorial.

The devs are working hard to ensure all the bases are covered with regards to the tutorial but it is a time consuming job.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

i can help any way a new player can i guess... welll an old player actually but din play much then.. back when fish didnt have to be roasted to be eaten lol...the old trolls bane..arnd 06-07 i guess.. was asking around for an "illapedia" or FAQ or anything tht helps with a tutorial... lemme know how i can help..

i've got about 75% of all the items used in the games tagged and named as jpeg images ready to be used if thts any help..
Flux

Post by Flux »

We.. already have such a list ;) .

It's just not public.
Robert_Thwaite

Post by Robert_Thwaite »

Flux wrote:We.. already have such a list ;) .

It's just not public.
Exactly the problem
Leon Demelii

Post by Leon Demelii »

Robert_Thwaite wrote:
Flux wrote:We.. already have such a list ;) .

It's just not public.
Exactly the problem

I agree...