Armor types

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Perry

Armor types

Post by Perry »

Hello, I have seen that there are 3 types of armor in this game, each vulnerable and strong to a certain type of attack.
Problem is that there is no where to be seen which type is each armor.. while this may not be so bad for a fighter, it looks kind of bad if, as a master smith, someone goes "hey make me the best medium armor you can make, plate, boots, helmet, everything" and you go "Um, sorry but I have no idea which is which, derp!"

So I guess it would be nice if someone took the time to make a proper list that includes each armor in their specific type tree.

Thanks in advance!

Adrian :)
Ufedhin

Re: Armor types

Post by Ufedhin »

In real life that kind of knowledge would come from experience,(it comes in game too from experience).Most wore armour they could afford and what appealed to them visually.
A master smiths would differ in what they would make if you asked for the best "medium armor"
So enjoy the journey of discovery (the basic infomation is already is available ,you have it :wink: )
Perry

Post by Perry »

Actually no.. me, as a master smith, if i were to really smith a piece of armor, Id know exactly how thick/heavy/stiff that piece is compared to other similar pieces. I would know if an armor is heavy, medium or light, because... hey, I crafted that! :P
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

You misunderstand,i talk of armour style's not wether its heavy or light etc
Perry

Post by Perry »

Well and I didnt ask to know what are the best armors, I only asked to know what type is each armor (light, medium or heavy) :P
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Yes, this information should be shown or available, we lack the implementation of a method.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

How about a book on a bookshelf? The book could require a certain amount of smithing to be read. Or multiple books requiring a raising skill level. The book could give information on how much defense it provides, armor stiffness it has, any special (magic) attributes it has and of course what it is strong/weak against.

Not sure if the client supports that but the old one seemed to.

Edit: Or a temporary solution would be a quest. A smith could visit Galmair and teach everyone "Designs". He will go over a set of armor, lets say salkamaerian and give a rating on defense and stiffness and also talk about the history of the armor and any special attributes it has and what armor type it is. This would be a very fun way to get this information across, and then us smiths will be able to pass on this information to our customers and it will in general get passed on through time until a definite solution is given.

For items that require a really high level, he can only give that information to certain people maybe? Anyway, this is a really fun way to share the information.
Last edited by Salathe on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flux

Post by Flux »

We're discussing our options with armours right now, and how they fit into the fighting system.

We'll tweak some more things with the fighting system, and then once it's done tweak the armours so they're balanced better. Then we can think about having some indicator about how light/heavy an armour is.

I think the best idea would be to have it written on the armour when you hover over it, in text form.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

Just added an edit which I think is a great idea!
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

this issomethin i learned from aa experienced player... said this was given away as hints at the start of the game....

armor weight is
400, 800 and 1200
light, medium, heavy respectively
Light is good against concussion, prone to slashing,
medium is good against slashing, prone to puncture (and arrows),
heavy is good against puncture (and arrows), but prone to concussion
Flux

Post by Flux »

I hope to make those things a lot more obvious with the implementation of a new system. Hopefully the armour will SAY what type it is.
Mr.Oldie

Post by Mr.Oldie »

Flux wrote:

...cooler version now, which is built to be balanced (and has abilities like backstabs, knockbacks, doubleslashes, counters etc., takes care of quality and durability, archery knockbacks, makes all 3 armour types equally viable.). Also want to stick in associated minimum skill levels with weapons, make the individual gems have their own purpose. It'll need weapons/armours to be rebalanced too, which I'll get around to....

looking forward for this update... :D
Flux

Post by Flux »

Alright, but don't forget this one :P .
Flux wrote:Found out today my dissertation is due in like 2 weeks. I haven't started it yet. rofl