Gods of Albar

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

PurpleMonkeys

Gods of Albar

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

I've been wondering, since the Albarians don't follow female gods, or the elder/elven gods, who do they pray for for certain things? Do farmers and druids pray to Irmorim? Is Moshran the ruler of their underworld, or do they just do funerals in the name of whatever god the person followed? Who is their god of wisdom and knowledge? :?
Grokk

Re: Gods of Albar

Post by Grokk »

Illarion's pantheon is a tragic mess. You will not get very far trying to make any sense of it.
Athian

Post by Athian »

PurpleMonkeys wrote:I've been wondering, since the Albarians don't follow female gods, or the elder/elven gods, who do they pray for for certain things? Do farmers and druids pray to Irmorim? Is Moshran the ruler of their underworld, or do they just do funerals in the name of whatever god the person followed? Who is their god of wisdom and knowledge? :?
They don't follow female gods, doesn't mean they don't believe they exist them.

@Grokk
Pantheon isn't that messy, culture/racial and civilization lore could use an overhaul though :wink:
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Furthermore Albar is a big country with many regional differences, so its up to you to interpret the guidlines of the backround a bit. Maybe in the village your char come from the ppl were a bit more liberal (for albar) and spoke even about the partsof female gods (speak not pray :D) or the village was conservative and it was even a sin to speak out the names of female gods.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

It could also be the females secretly worship the female gods unknown to the rulers of Albar. :D
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Some semi official statements :-):

-The existance of the gods, the elder and the younger ones, is a fact for most people, not something you "believe in". The gods do exist.
-The albarian society is mainly represented by the noble men and landowners. What the common peasant thinks is not relevant to the society
-Exchanging Cherga by Moshran and claim that he is the lord of the underworld is nothing that is likely to done by anyone. Again, it is not a matter of faith, Cherga IS the lady of the underworld and I doubt an albarian would deny this. He won't pray to or worship Cherga, though.
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

Thanks, I was just wondering. This really clears it up.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Plus, since females are traditionally led around with a collar and leash in albar, it's kinda unlikely they're secretly worshipping anything their family isn't fond of.
If you read the albarian town descriptions, you might find that the local habits are described as more tolerant the further north the towns go, especially the most northern one where the locals are partially Norodaj. Those should be available in the english illapedia.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I think the females "traditionally lead around with collar and leash" would be up to interpretation of the roleplayer since there is no direct mention of anything similar in the wiki English version, and anything specifically mentioned tends to take away from the creative interpretation of the player. However you could also say that what the females would pray to is also up to the roleplayer's interpretation. That is the good thing about Illarion culture, gods and races and which allows creative people to add their own interpretation in the more specifics of these areas without following a strict set of guidelines related to someone else's idea that "it has to be this way". Some games have these "set in stone" guidelines so specific that they can interfere with the fun of developing a story by the player, thankfully Illarion's guidelines ARE very general. It allows the roleplayer a lot of free reign in making their char and description then continuing that story-line in game. One player can interpret one thing.. another something slightly different yet all in accord with the generalized description in the history.
GolfLima

Post by GolfLima »

Are you shure that theses gods have a gender?
-> sounds like an human point of view for me
-> I´m not sure that gods has genders as we have.
-> may be he uses a male / female body when "he / she" walks at Gobaith, but this must be not the same body all the time.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Since the Official backround of Illarion / the Hompage speaks of God and Goddess and male and female Gods- yes we are sure. Anyway a god can use a body as avatar of which gender/race/haircolor he like (or which the gm like :D). But neigther is an single avatar the same as a god, nor tells the genders body anything about the the god who use it.

Btw: This is ooc, we are all humans in rl (more or less).
Athian

Post by Athian »

Agreed with Dji, as far as Illarion If the back-story confirms a gods original gender to be male/female or otherwise then that simply is how it is. No ones saying they couldn't take on a different gender but especially in the case of the "Eleven" which were uplifted mortals, they would have an original gender they were born with.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Achae Eanstray wrote:I think the females "traditionally lead around with collar and leash" would be up to interpretation of the roleplayer since there is no direct mention of anything similar in the wiki English version..."
Untrue statement.

The mentioned leash - or chain - refers to the area around the town "Fennsworth" and the town itself, see 4.3.3 Characteristics, second text block on this site:

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Albar

Other towns may have similar traditions, others don't, much is left to the player's creativity. These little descriptions exist to inspire the creativity of the player, feed them with some ideas, give them something to think and to play around with. And they make a good framework of informations if some characters chat about people and places on the continent they may have visited or come from, so the little basic stuff that is defined make a background frame that is NOT up to creative changes for everybody just because someone is too lazy to read a bit. See it that way: your char doesn't need to know everything and you don't need to read everything. But if you want your char to seriously know facts about a place in the common world background, you better read the related little bit that exists for that part, or those characters around yours of players who know what you're talking of may (rightfully) claim your character's tale to be a hoax.
So, with all creativity, you should still be careful with the statement "nowhere mentioned" if you're too lazy to really check that before posting. :twisted: :wink:
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Damien wrote: The mentioned leash - or chain - refers to the area around the town "Fennsworth" and the town itself, see 4.3.3 Characteristics
That entire section reads like a bondage fantasy.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Dude, sometimes you're just plain weird... :lol:
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Damien wrote:
Achae Eanstray wrote:I think the females "traditionally lead around with collar and leash" would be up to interpretation of the roleplayer since there is no direct mention of anything similar in the wiki English version..."
I see, pages added to the wiki by players. A very nice synopsis of ideas of Albarian culture and I didn't check past the game's generalized site due to the preference to use my own imagination for cultures in coordination with the official content. As mentioned in another thread...some of the wiki will be gone with the VBU and perhaps new players which is what this thread hopefully will help will have other options.
Valen Tiercelion

Post by Valen Tiercelion »

Why not make it possible for characters to add to the existing mythology? After all, isn't mythos by definition the product of creativity and perhaps an over fertile mind :)
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

It is far from impossible. You can write pretty much any sort of text if you like to and get it added as a book to the libraries in game. I actually expect priest chars to be able to tell me more about their deity than what is written in the short descriptions about them.

Take the bible for example. There are countless different stories about what happens if you go against god's will. You could sum it up in 5 sentences, but that never stopped anyone in RL and shouldn't stop anyone in game from telling a million different stories with the same point about a god (or anything else).
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Some semi official statements :-):
-The existance of the gods, the elder and the younger ones, is a fact for most people, not something you "believe in". The gods do exist.
So, what's the actual creation myth?
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Valen Tiercelion wrote:Why not make it possible for characters to add to the existing mythology?
It is possible! Please feel free to write something to replace/add to the nonsense we're stuck with at the moment.
Valen Tiercelion

Post by Valen Tiercelion »

Perfect! You'll get to hear some more nonsense soon, soon, soon :)
Ufedhin

Post by Ufedhin »

By the curses o' the deep one who says it aint possible?
Just stare into the abyss and the abyss will stare back.

deep chanting follows:
(Dwa)********* ************************************** ********************** ************* ************************.
Damien

Post by Damien »

The content in the locked wikipedia section - especially town descriptions - are, or at least were official.
At the time of "publishing" i was the GM responsible for writing the background story stuff. They were to be found in an own forum part before being translated and brought to the wiki.
Since it is quite a work to put up such a world description and keep the different texts in line, and since noone else wants to do that again, i doubt that they will be removed with the vbu. On the contrary. From what i heard, the texts might even be worked into the game itself by the means of ingame books, so you might find them in a library shelf later. :lol:

It is a lot of text of course, and because of that it was never put into the illarion page itself because it was never meant that every player has to read and know them. Remember that they are thought as inspiration for the players who like that, and as a source for more detailled character ideas, for people who want to give their character a background that is linked to that of other players who want to use the same source.
Yes, that means that noone can make a chararacter with the name "Uncle Sam" and call himself the emperor of the salkamaerian empire - but i think that's a tiny thing to trade in for at least having some information.