Teaching teaching rune

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Qeewee

Teaching teaching rune

Post by Qeewee »

Legit tech. engine question, so spare me the ''FOIG''s

Anyone able to tell me what levels are required to teach someone the rune BHONA?
Estralis Seborian

Re: Teaching teaching rune

Post by Estralis Seborian »

250 skills, 50 attributes.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

As this topic fits in some way...

what is needed to teach DUN and LUK?
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Pretty sure that's level 60 decisio needed
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Estralis Seborian wrote:250 skills, 50 attributes.
:|
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

I'm assuming thats 250 total magic skills and 50 attributes between intelligence, willpower and essence.
Estralis Seborian

That's right.
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

I just came across this and had to ask. If the idea is to have a system where people don't powergame by stacking most of there free attribute points in one place, than doesn't it seem counterproductive to require people to have an average of about 17 in each of three stats in order to do an extremely necessary activity? I'm not saying that the restriction must be completely eliminated, but the numbers (at least that were quoted) are more than slightly crazy.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

its a well know fact that the magic system is unbalamced. Specially the teaching system does not work how it should. It will change as soon as someone with the needed skills have time to change it. That will happend AFAIK sometime after the VBU,
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Even so, since that is a single number within the code something like that would not take much to fix. Literally 5 minutes worth of work to at least improve the problem, even if it is not fixed. But that would be up to the developers to deal with at this point, so there is nothing more that can be said about that.
Estralis Seborian

While five minutes are underestimating the effort one has to spend to change a bunch of scripts on the server, including debugging, the upload and reload, it is indeed true that changing some numbers isn't a big deal, skill wise.

However - and here comes the usual however - development on the game server branch of development was stopped long ago. The new development branch, commonly denoted "VBU", has to be worked on with main priority in order not to delay the release more than necessary. And now comes the main point: At this moment, absolutely no developer found a single minute to work on magic. So, no one had the time to work on the development branch, so this "no one" won't have time to fix anything on the game server in addition.

It is not a joke that the developers ask for support on almost a weekly base. Lua scripting isn't hard to learn for anyone who understands this kind of code:

Code: Select all

for i = 99, 2 do
	write( i.." Bottles of beer on the wall, "..i.." bottles of beer." )
	write( "Take one down and pass it around, "..(i-1).." bottles of beer on the wall." )
end
write( "1 Bottles of beer on the wall, 1 bottles of beer." )
write( "Take one down and pass it around, no more bottles of beer on the wall." )
write( "No more bottle of beer on the wall. No more bottles of beer... " )
write( "Go to the store and buy some more...99 bottles of beer." )
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Ah, I had expected things to be both more simple and less simple than it really was. I thought that simply using a search option to find the one place in the script where the "runes known" limitation was written, replacing that number, and then uploading the changes (which is server time, not manpower time) was all that would be needed. I also didn't know that the programming language that they use was so simple, mabie I can learn to help soon. I will be looking into the "how can I contribute" page before too long then.

I guess since it is an engine question (that won't matter so much after the VBU) there is no harm in asking. Are there any other arbitrary number requirements for either learning or teaching specific runes that I should know about if I ever decide to make a mage character? I would hate to have to remake a character just because the stats were a couple points too low.