Question RE: Salkamaerians

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Deinarious

Question RE: Salkamaerians

Post by Deinarious »

I'm trying to develop the character that I will be playing, and I've decided that I want to play a Salkamaerian. While the rest of the information regarding the concept other than 'Salkamaerian' and 'peasant' are unknown to me at this time, I would like to ask some questions about the background of the Lightfolk in order to further develop my own character.

At this time I only have a few details to inquire about, so I'll make this post quick. First of all, it says in the background provided on the main site that children of poor families are provided a military education if they cannot afford regular schooling. My first impression upon reading this is that they are drafted into the military, but that is probably because I do not understand what you mean by this term. What do you mean by 'military education'?

My second question entails to what the Salkamaerians look like. From what I know just by reading the background of their culture, they are human. That seems to be a vague descriptor. I know that the general appearance of humans runs along the lines of varying heights, skin colors ranging from pale to nearly black, hair of varying shades of black, red, brown, and yellow, as well as eyes that are usually blue, green, brown, gray, or hazel. However, along these lines what do the Salkamaerians look like generally?

I kind of imagine them as being somewhat Caucasoid, with the usual variations along the lines of height, weight, hair and eyes. At least that is what the background is giving me the impression of. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

If I have any more questions regarding the Salkamaerians I'll refer back to this thread. I just would like to know more about this culture that I want to put my character in.
Djironnyma

Re: Question RE: Salkamaerians

Post by Djironnyma »

Deinarious wrote: My first impression upon reading this is that they are drafted into the military, but that is probably because I do not understand what you mean by this term. What do you mean by 'military education'?
They get education mostly like other ppl but also in tactics and fighting and so on, and they have to serve Salk as soldiers some years

Deinarious wrote:My second question entails to what the Salkamaerians look like.
Mostly as you like :D
They life in meditarain climate IMHO they look like Italian or Spain people - but there is no official rule about that.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Djironnyma wrote:
Deinarious wrote: My first impression upon reading this is that they are drafted into the military, but that is probably because I do not understand what you mean by this term. What do you mean by 'military education'?
They get education mostly like other ppl but also in tactics and fighting and so on, and they have to serve Salk as soldiers some years
So basically, a Salkamaerian would get their usual education, but would also be expected to serve and protect their people as a result. That makes sense. I don't know why I didn't realize that sooner.
Djironnyma wrote:
Deinarious wrote:My second question entails to what the Salkamaerians look like.
Mostly as you like :D
They life in meditarain climate IMHO they look like Italian or Spain people - but there is no official rule about that.
You bring up a valid point that makes me reconsider what I would envision them to look like. If I consider your opinion, as well as the rest of their background, then in my opinion they might look like Greeks or Romans. This might lead me to do some extra research to figure out what my character would look like.

Another question results from this dialogue however. If I am to play a Salkamaerian that received a military education, it would make sense to somehow let the character have some combat skills to reflect this. However, I had planned on my character's background having something to do with things related to peasantry. My first impression of peasantry would involve simple, menial labors like farming, mining, and cutting wood. Now, if I were to have my character as a peasant that received a military education, how would I reflect both the military education, as well as the peasant background?
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

From the wiki:

"All children reaching the age of four learn to read and write, calculating, philosophy, poetry and historical knowledge at schools three times a week. As from the age of twelve all children have the duty to follow lessons in using swords and shields. At the age of 14 all children are rated according to their abilities and talents, then taught on public expense for two years in a subject of their choice as they qualify therein. The best qualified of the age-groups are then educated at the academy of Salkamar, this is why many teenagers of the entire empire can be found there. Also the garrison of Salkamar instructs every year many recruits. Children from poorer families – which is quite rare in Salkamar, as the state finances many basics for living for poor inhabitants – often start a military education in the legion."

Presumably, then, military education starts at age 14. The children will continue their military training, as well as their studies, at the garrison. There will be a required number of years of service in the Salkamaerian army, for those children pursuing a military education.
Deinarious wrote:Another question results from this dialogue however. If I am to play a Salkamaerian that received a military education, it would make sense to somehow let the character have some combat skills to reflect this. However, I had planned on my character's background having something to do with things related to peasantry. My first impression of peasantry would involve simple, menial labors like farming, mining, and cutting wood. Now, if I were to have my character as a peasant that received a military education, how would I reflect both the military education, as well as the peasant background?
Do you mean from a skill-perspective? If so, don't concern yourself with it. The starting skill packages are too insignificant to have any effect on the way your character is played, or viewed. Unfortunately, (skill-wise) your character will arrive upon Gobaith completely incompetent in whatever calling that you have chosen for them. You will just have to train up the skills once your character is IG, and then pretend that you possessed them all along.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Grokk wrote:From the wiki:

"All children reaching the age of four learn to read and write, calculating, philosophy, poetry and historical knowledge at schools three times a week. As from the age of twelve all children have the duty to follow lessons in using swords and shields. At the age of 14 all children are rated according to their abilities and talents, then taught on public expense for two years in a subject of their choice as they qualify therein. The best qualified of the age-groups are then educated at the academy of Salkamar, this is why many teenagers of the entire empire can be found there. Also the garrison of Salkamar instructs every year many recruits. Children from poorer families – which is quite rare in Salkamar, as the state finances many basics for living for poor inhabitants – often start a military education in the legion."

Presumably, then, military education starts at age 14. The children will continue their military training, as well as their studies, at the garrison. There will be a required number of years of service in the Salkamaerian army, for those children pursuing a military education.
Alright, thank you for explaining that. Perhaps I should start referencing the wiki as well, in order to make better sense of this.
Grokk wrote:
Deinarious wrote:Another question results from this dialogue however. If I am to play a Salkamaerian that received a military education, it would make sense to somehow let the character have some combat skills to reflect this. However, I had planned on my character's background having something to do with things related to peasantry. My first impression of peasantry would involve simple, menial labors like farming, mining, and cutting wood. Now, if I were to have my character as a peasant that received a military education, how would I reflect both the military education, as well as the peasant background?
Do you mean from a skill-perspective? If so, don't concern yourself with it. The starting skill packages are too insignificant to have any effect on the way your character is played, or viewed. Unfortunately, (skill-wise) your character will arrive upon Gobaith completely incompetent in whatever calling that you have chosen for them. You will just have to train up the skills once your character is IG, and then pretend that you possessed them all along.
So therefore it doesn't matter which package I choose then. The question is then whether I choose one to reflect origins in peasantry, or one to reflect the military education. And that is to my discretion of course.

Well, thank you very much for clarifying this for me. I should probably get to work on finishing designing said character now. I assume that I might be able to join you in-game sometime around the beginning of next week then, as weekends aren't good for me due to the unpredictability of the network I am on.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Look up the World map.
Browse the illawiki for the town descriptions.
The Towns are supposed to be listed under "Salkamaerian towns".
Each town description contains a description of the people living around there.

That stuff had a forum thread where it would be easier to find than in the wiki, but that thread got removed for saving forum space way before all translations were done by the sparse volunteers using it. I don't know if anyone continued to translate stuff from then on - but albarian and salkamaerian towns should all have been translated, since they were the first in order. :wink:
Chirparoo

Post by Chirparoo »

I can't find these town description.
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »