Illarion Gods

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Joris X

Illarion Gods

Post by Joris X »

... Are they real (in Illarion, that is)?

... Is there someone portraying these "gods" so that you know that someone is listening, and your prayers and random searches for the things greater and longer living than elves aren't wasted?

... Do they truly mingle with Gobiathians?
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

In Illarion, the gods exist and that fact is generally well known and accepted in the background and by chars in game. On rare occasions, they send messengers or even show up personally, played by GMs.
Koboldshroud

Post by Koboldshroud »

Check the character database, there are chars named after the gods in the "other" section. *wink*
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Don't limit your roleplay, though :P There are some non-believers out there.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Alli Zelos wrote:Don't limit your roleplay, though :P There are some non-believers out there.
These should be called idiots by as good as everyone.

Non-followers are way more logical than non-believers.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

They usually *are* called idiots. That doesn't mean they don't exist, though :P Logical or not, there's always char-background to consider.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Jupiter wrote:
Alli Zelos wrote:Don't limit your roleplay, though :P There are some non-believers out there.

Not really, if a mage was to show a non mage village his power he in turn could be worshiped as a god :P For all non-believers out there they could simply think of the gods as beings more advanced and more powerful than themselves but not the pinnacle of creators
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

orgis wrote:
Jupiter wrote:

Not really, if a mage was to show a non mage village his power he in turn could be worshiped as a god :P For all non-believers out there they could simply think of the gods as beings more advanced and more powerful than themselves but not the pinnacle of creators
Don't forget that not everyone HAS personally witnessed the Gods or any direct intervention by them.

And the younger gods are not even considered creators in their own mythologies.
Coupled with the fact that the Elders are very distant from Illarion.
There is a lot of room for different interpretations of the Gods.

That said non-believers are generally those who are ignorant of the world's lore in OOC terms.
This usually changes when they have more experience with the game.

I think its also worth pointing out that there is a difference.
Between those non-followers who are actively against the Gods.
And those who are just apathetic towards them.
orgis

Post by orgis »

The easiest races I'd say for the gods to have any reflection on your Char would be elfs or orcs. The elfs take a bit of studying whilst the orcs... well... if you bump into any other orc and you don't know about moshran... I pity ya :twisted:
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

orgis wrote:The easiest races I'd say for the gods to have any reflection on your Char would be elfs or orcs. The elfs take a bit of studying whilst the orcs... well... if you bump into any other orc and you don't know about moshran... I pity ya :twisted:
And lizards of course.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Nalzaxx wrote:And lizards of course.
Shhh, don't spoil the entertainment :twisted:
Joris X

Post by Joris X »

Can you make an undedicated alter ... dedicated to god of your choice, should you find one?
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

Not too long ago there was a guild of misguided Cherga followers, who built an altar and wanted to dedicate it to their goddess. They were evil to the bone though and thought she would like human sacrifice. Sufficient to mention here, that the ceremony didn't go as they planned. :twisted:

Generally, if you have a story in mind, you can ask GMs for assistance in playing it out.
There are a few undedicated altars around too.
Koboldshroud

Post by Koboldshroud »

haha, i think theres an altar for every single god, a even found one for the Bragon! woot!
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

For most, there is one. I never found Zhambra's, Ronagan's and Nargun's for example. They may be very well hidden or not there at all.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Velisai wrote: Nargun's for example.
Now now, everyone knows his alter is the toilet just outside bane :lol:
Koboldshroud

Post by Koboldshroud »

wow.. i just realized its a toilet.. now that you said that though.. i have a sinking feeling i now know what the noobus fly trap is... I ain't going in..
Joris X

Post by Joris X »

Tolietus iseamus noobius fly-trappium.
Joris X

Post by Joris X »

Also! Another quick question!

How do you pray to the gods?
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

!gm
orgis

Post by orgis »

Joris X wrote:Also! Another quick question!

How do you pray to the gods?
At the moment there really isn't much to do with praying. You can write downa few phrases that you feel sounds pray..y? And then repeat them or whatever y'all do with your praying. :lol: Remember though at the moment no one really has anything going and the only way you might get some interaction by a gm god-wise is if Flux us stalking ya :lol:
Joris X

Post by Joris X »

Nalzaxx wrote:!gm
I hate to use that... makes me nervous I'm using it for the wrong reasons. ... I think that should only be used if your character is in deep doo-doo or for reporting a player. Not for praying. :oops:

So...

Ya.
orgis

Post by orgis »

He was pulling your leg mate :wink: :lol:
Joris X

Post by Joris X »

... Oh.
Koboldshroud

Post by Koboldshroud »

yeah dude, praying is just RPed i believe. But if your lucky theres a gm nearby laughing there ass off at yo- ehem, listening to your prayers, yes, they CAN turn invisible . mwuahahahaha. But seriously, you don't pray in this game because you as a player want something, you pray because it is good RP... in my opinion.
Damien

Post by Damien »

To limit orcs just to moshran is to abandon a lot of possibilities, and a very good proof that the players have not even read the description of the orcish race nor the creeds description for the orcs. :P
For orcs, there are a lot "cooler" options around than just to make them moshran cultists. The tribal ones usually have a whole pantheon which is being kinda "rotated" through the year, and i've never ever seen a Fire orc ingame. Now THAT could cause a shitload of action just amongst orcs.
wilf

Post by wilf »

Joris X wrote:
Nalzaxx wrote:!gm
I hate to use that... makes me nervous I'm using it for the wrong reasons. ... I think that should only be used if your character is in deep doo-doo or for reporting a player. Not for praying. :oops:

So...

Ya.
here a place for a proposal:
"!god" for praying?
the pray goes to the gms and because of the "!god" they know quickly that it is an prayer. So they can choose if they reakt on it or not.

I don´t know if its necessary but it is an spontaneous idea from me^^
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

No, we want to get rid of all !#/*-like commands sooner or later. If you do a big ritual or mass, contacting a GM beforehand is a good idea. Other than that, always keep in mind that the gods, erm, GMs see everything you do. Prayers won't faint unheard, but also keep in mind that gods are no wishing wells or wonder slot machines.
Magdha Tiefenerz

Post by Magdha Tiefenerz »

wilf wrote:
"!god" for praying?
the pray goes to the gms and because of the "!god" they know quickly that it is an prayer. So they can choose if they reakt on it or not.

I have proposed a special praying command quite a while ago...and what shall I say...it was declined. You can find the appropriate discussion here. Unfortunately it is in German only.
David Turner

Post by David Turner »

Magdha Tiefenerz wrote:
wilf wrote:
"!god" for praying?

I have proposed a special praying command quite a while ago...and what shall I say...it was declined. You can find the appropriate discussion here. Unfortunately it is in German only.
And you can only reply if you are a member. They got tired of new players trying to improve the game with constant ideas that were no good (seriously, look back and you will see how bad some of them were). Not that the good ideas got much apparent notice by the GMs either (in terms of change), they just wanted fewer of them.