Look Momma! No Hands!

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Joris X

Look Momma! No Hands!

Post by Joris X »

Sorry, I've been posting newbie threads like crazy. Please forgive me, I am truly curious about these things. :(

Slaves.

I've been reading some of the laws, and it would seem to correspond with Illarion's time in comparison to real medieval times. Serfs and Slaves. How do you obtain these people - or who the hell would agree to become your serf or slave?

Just a wonder if anyone could shed some light on this, it would be appreciated. 8)

-QUICK EDIT- Or anything relating to slaves would work too - that relates back to Illarion, of course.
Flux

Post by Flux »

You don't often see slaves being played, and they're usually goblin slaves for "evil" characters. (Goblins used to be a playable race that you could apply for but they're not supported in the VBU so you can't apply for one anymore).

If another player plays a character who is your slave, that's up to them.
Koboldshroud

Post by Koboldshroud »

Owkay mr joris ((or what ever, i forget names)) I have a suggestion, Next time you have a noob question, all you have to do is make a post called Joris's Newbie question, or something like that, then everytime you have a new one, post it in there, im not saying everyne should do that, just frequent noob quesion posters, also, i suppose if you want a slave i have been wanting a secon character for a whie now, and would be willing to play one for a while to see how it goes, ((i have a feeling some people have different ideas for slaves))

E.G. In my mind a slave is NOT someone who does work for you for free, in ther words, provides you with smithing stuff for free, my idea of a slave is a sort of Greeks slave, 'y know what i mean?
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

In illarions backround we have two kinds of "slaves" the albarien/orcish slaves/villeins which are belong to their Lords - they do mostly dirty hard work like in mines or on farms

the slaves of gynks in opposition are more like a status-symbol which also can earn money and buy them self free - if they work they work more as servants or butlers

To have IG a slave - no care which style of slave - you need first a PO which agree to play one - you can force no one that his char do what your char want - even than you need to respect the rules of illarion - so no brutal force or other things which are forbidden by rules in roleplay with the slaves
Joris X

Post by Joris X »

Interesting. Thanks so much.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Djironnyma wrote:in roleplay with the slaves
:)

--

Yeah being a slave is a player's decision. And don't worry about all the newbie threads. Just give them clear titles so the next person to come along can read them - your questions might be his/her questions
Sir Gnar

Post by Sir Gnar »

Djironnyma wrote: you can force no one that his char do what your char want - even than you need to respect the rules of illarion - so no brutal force or other things which are forbidden by rules in roleplay with the slaves
~ You can't bully someone into being your slave or doing work for you? <--- Serious question...
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

No...because that is forced rp.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Well technically you can do it in the same way you can throw someone in prison or threaten to beat him up or something.

But its not very fun for the player, so its only polite if you ask him if he wants to play in the same manner.
Joris X

Post by Joris X »

I think the whole question of:

"Do you wanna be my slave?"

Doesn't really sound very appealing...

But'cha never know. There are some weird folk out there. :wink:
Llama

Post by Llama »

I meant in OOC, like sending him a PM and asking him whether he wants to RP a slave or something.

Not in In Character, it'll be silly :P
Koboldshroud

Post by Koboldshroud »

Father- So son, have you decided what you want to be when you grow up?
Son- yes daddy!
Father- So... what is it?
Son- I wanna grow up to be a slave!
Sir Gnar

Post by Sir Gnar »

Arvemor wrote:No...because that is forced rp.

~ If my char is stronger than your char and I want you to do something, you can either do as your told, run like hell, or get your head smashed in. So you have 3 choices at least. How is that forced RP?

I'd be delighted to hear your response on this, as I once laughed for a half hour when you wrote in the Vanima guild forum that whoever cut their trees (the first time) was forced RPing...

Also, just a thought, do we perhaps force RP when fishing? It just seems the fish wouldn't want to be caught either. Let me know, I might have to throw them all back...
:P
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Yes, do it now! 8)
Blay

Post by Blay »

Sir Gnar wrote: as I once laughed for a half hour when you wrote in the Vanima guild forum that whoever cut their trees (the first time) was forced RPing...
Estralis Seborian wrote:So, lighting a fire is not a rule violation. Waiting for everone of a certain guild logging off, walking to their guild hut, lighting hundreds of campfires at the very same spot and logging off as soon as the wildfire starts - that is not such a good idea...
Not forced rping, but still not allowed ;)
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Lighting fires in the manner described is forced RP.

You are forcing other characters to act in a specific way. In this case you make them ignore an arsonist attacking their home, and take no actions to deal with the fires that threaten or destroy their property. It is exactly the same situation as when the Seahorse is burned down, people commit crimes in front of NPC guards, and the great majority of prison escapes.

As Sir Gnar said, one character pressuring another into becoming a slave is not forced RP; they have alternative options.
Blay

Post by Blay »

I was referring to the Vanima-tree-part of his post:

cutting trees/lightning flames exactly when the members of the guild / town are offline: evil
forcing someone to do something (but still give him a chance to react and to get out of the thing): fine
Joris X

Post by Joris X »

Grokk wrote:... as when the Seahorse is burned down, people commit crimes in front of NPC guards, and the great majority of prison escapes.
People can escape from prison? How? With like the help of a GM, the superheroes of Illarion or with fellow guard members that have been bribed? ... Secret passage? How?

Tell me??? :D
Last edited by Joris X on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

Joris X wrote:With like the help of a GM...or with fellow guard members that have been bribed
Both would be possible, and good ways of escaping from prison. I'm sure there would be a GM willing to run an escape quest once in a while if it was planned out properly. And guards have been bribed before and shall be bribed again.

There are, unfortunately, ways of exploiting the game mechanics to escape from prison. There is no need for you to be told how that is done, though :wink: It is against the rules, and is always reported to a GM.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Alex might want to chip in at this point :lol:
Estelwen

Post by Estelwen »

Hm? *Runs away before a GM catches him* (From Alex)

And I think Alex has a key to most prisons or he makes up a stupid escape plan, which usually works for some reason (From estelwen)
Last edited by Estelwen on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I escaped bribing a guard and leaving when dark once. Though the guards may have been more "bribable" (if that is a word) at that time. :wink:
Gildon

Post by Gildon »

I remember whenever Rankor would get jailed with a sentence like three months, he'd just leave the next day. Lol. I'm not quite sure how though.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Gildon wrote:I remember whenever Rankor would get jailed with a sentence like three months, he'd just leave the next day. Lol. I'm not quite sure how though.
Is that when everyone had keys to the jail?
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

somehow my characters have never been jailed... although on my main one he'd be out in about 5 minutes flat. :shock: