A handful of questions

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Kadana

A handful of questions

Post by Kadana »

1. Does your birthday matter? Other then the associated astrological sign, is there any significance to what day/month you choose for your characters birthday?

2. I've read that stats don't change from what you made them. Is this referring just to attributes, or to the age, weight as well? For example, if I make my character start out being 35 years old, and weighing 300 pounds, will I be 35 years old and 300 pounds forever? Or will my character age, and will it be able to gain/lose weight according to how it is played?

If characters do grow older, do they age when you are offline as well, or does only logged in time count?

3. I read it suggested that we know what our parents names are. Are first names for them okay, or should I do last names as well? If they need last names, do they share a last name (one spouse taking on the surname of the other)? Does my character share a last name with one/both of them? Also, should I know what the parents did (professions) before I start playing as well? Or can that one wait a bit?

4. Is there a way to log (record) interactions/rp's?

5. For this game/time period, what age would be considered legal/adult for the various races?

That's all (I think..) for now.
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

If you haven't found it yet, the wiki is a good resource: http://illarion.org/community/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

1. More to some then others, Mas can be a typical birthday for a char wanting to be on the "shady" side. Reading up on the gods can help you decide dates also, depending on what your character is like. http://illarion.org/illarion/goetter/us_bck_10.php

2.Only the age changes, not the weight or attributes though in special circumstances the attributes can be requested to be changed by a GM no more then two. Chars grow older in the online description. Some players follow this guideline exactly, some don't and don't show the age of the char. When you use "examine" in game it will say whether your char is young, old etc but not the exact age.

3. All this depends on the background of your char and can be placed in the online description/story if you want to show it.

4. Check your Illarion folder, the log (a text file called Illarion) is there under the char's name and can be opened with notepad. Usually the Illarion folder is in documents.

5. Reading up on the races will give you a general idea of "adult" for each. Remember the game is set in medieval times. http://illarion.org/illarion/races/us_story.php

Welcome to the forum and game. :D
Rincewind

Re: A handful of questions

Post by Rincewind »

Kadana wrote:1. Does your birthday matter? Other then the associated astrological sign, is there any significance to what day/month you choose for your characters birthday?

It have no tecnical effect.

2. I've read that stats don't change from what you made them. Is this referring just to attributes, or to the age, weight as well? For example, if I make my character start out being 35 years old, and weighing 300 pounds, will I be 35 years old and 300 pounds forever? Or will my character age, and will it be able to gain/lose weight according to how it is played?

Your Char will be 300 pounds forever. But he/she will grow up and became old. A Gamemaster is able to change the weight for you.

If characters do grow older, do they age when you are offline as well, or does only logged in time count?

They age wehn you are offline. The time InGame is 3 times faster than RealLife.

3. I read it suggested that we know what our parents names are. Are first names for them okay, or should I do last names as well? If they need last names, do they share a last name (one spouse taking on the surname of the other)? Does my character share a last name with one/both of them? Also, should I know what the parents did (professions) before I start playing as well? Or can that one wait a bit?

To chose a fitting name for your Character you can read this link. Not every character needs a last name. I would say it depends on the background, you choose. A noble will know his lastname very well. On the other side, a thieves kid, maybee just don't know about. As much you know about the your char's life before "entering the island", as much better it is. But if you don't like to think about each detail, it shoul'd be also Ok. Because you won't talk about it to each stranger, you meet. Eh? :wink:

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... arch=names

4. Is there a way to log (record) interactions/rp's?
Yes. There will be a folder named Illarion, somwhere on your computer. Inside there a folder with your characters log. (and several datas you should save backup :))

5. For this game/time period, what age would be considered legal/adult for the various races?
Elves about 180 to become adult. the others are equal to RL. You will get messages for very young(16), young(~20), middle aged, old, very old and so on.

That's all (I think..) for now.
Best wishes, have fun!
Last edited by Rincewind on Tue May 25, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kadana

Post by Kadana »

Thank you, that helps!
Flux

Post by Flux »

Illarion time is THREE times faster than RL, not four, Rincewind.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

Flux wrote:Illarion time is THREE times faster than RL, not four, Rincewind.
:wink: I edited. 8)
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Good on the newbie for asking questions like this, too! :D
Llama

Post by Llama »

Flux wrote:Illarion time is THREE times faster than RL, not four, Rincewind.
He write three, and I told him four.

Can we confirm this... somehow?

We can easily solve this by throwing a character from the top of the lighthouse, assume a gravity of 10m/s^2 and count the seconds.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Very easily.

Go on the time converter, and look.

Look at the number of day cycles in an rl day.

Look how quickly your character ages in the database.

People said 4 in 2005 but since the new client the standard has been 3.
Sir Gnar

Post by Sir Gnar »

Is there a chance then that your char will grow old and die?
Blay

Post by Blay »

Sir Gnar wrote:Is there a chance then that your char will grow old and die?
He won't die if you don't let him die, but he will grow older.
I don't know how it's handled exactly, but I guess there is a maximum age - when it's reached, the char just does not become older anymore.
But seriously: I really doubt that there will be a char which exists long enough to grow "too old" :P
Flux

Post by Flux »

My char has been on Gobaith more than half his life now :|
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

It is perfectly possible now to play a 'native' gobaithian.

Infact up to 30 years old could viably be a native.

Not everyone came over on the boats.
Koboldshroud

Post by Koboldshroud »

Just remember, "dwarven" time, is exactly the same as RL time...
Flux

Post by Flux »

Nalzaxx wrote:It is perfectly possible now to play a 'native' gobaithian.

Infact up to 30 years old could viably be a native.

Not everyone came over on the boats.
But Gobaith is such a small island people would've seen them.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

And then you always get that annoying question, by all the old players. "Who were your parents?"
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

Alli Zelos wrote:And then you always get that annoying question, by all the old players. "Who were your parents?"
Liles.
Flux

Post by Flux »

And Fooser.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

"Rothman"

...Instantly believable. :O
Flux

Post by Flux »

I was created in a ritual and now I've been living in Ephraim's hut locked in the basement for all these years.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

That, or you're the bastard child of Turny and Deinarious, noone will ask questions there.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Now that would be frightening.