Trouble with potion brewing.

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alex Heartnet

Trouble with potion brewing.

Post by Alex Heartnet »

So far I am training to be a druid on my own. I pretty much got everything figured out (including a theory on making the magic brew you need to become a druid). Except for one thing - actually making the brew itself.
Estralis Seborian wrote:You can learn druidism on your own. To brew a potion, you need a cauldron?, a bottle and some herbs. Use the cauldron while having the herbs you want to add to the brew in the hands of your character. This brew is not really a potion; you need to add gem powder, this can be bought from a NPC. However, for this last step, you need to drink a magical druid brew before, you can either try to mix it yourself (took me one minute to figure it out, without background knowledge) or try to contact other friendly druids:
The bolded part is what I am having trouble with. Is this cauldron an actual ingame inventory item? If so, I can't find it for sale in Green Briar, which sells a lot of other things a druid might require. The books in the druid house say to use a 'copper kettle'. But I click 'use' with said kettle and nothing happens. Not even a message saying 'you need this and that' like when you try to use the nearby cooking oven without the proper supplies.

My character should fully know how to make a brew - the books describe the method, and on top of that say that anyone can mix together a herb brew using random herbs (Actually making an effective brew is another story). But as a player I am struggling with this.
Last edited by Alex Heartnet on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

There is a merchant in the harbor that sells a cauldron.(also called a copper kettle)
Alex Heartnet

Post by Alex Heartnet »

Alrighty, thanks. Unfortunately, I can't afford said copper kettle, and therefore must find a way to make money (running errands for other people).

Once I got the cauldron, I should be all set.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

I hear there's a certain lizard who is rather loose with his pocket change*wink wink, nudge nudge* maybe you'll have to run an errand or two for him.
Netsirk

Post by Netsirk »

Loose? yeah right...down right greedy if ya ask me.... :P
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

A druid has the potential to be one of the richest chars in the game actually, you just need to use your imagination. to get money for my druid, I used to either sell my herbs to other druids or simply promise people a healthy stack of potions when I start producing.. thats called making people invest in you :P
Alex Heartnet

Post by Alex Heartnet »

Okay, now I have a new problem. I got one cauldron, one meadow rhubarb (not making anything special yet), and one empty bottle. When I use the cauldron, I get a 'You need one bottle if you want to brew a potion' message. But I DO have an empty bottle in my belt, and the herb in my hand! Holding the bottle or kettle in my hand doesn't help either
Shandariel el Lysanthrai

Post by Shandariel el Lysanthrai »

bottle must be in hand too

bottle one hand, herb in other hand, cauldron in belt, use cauldron, tadaah ;)
Darkshade

Post by Darkshade »

if you continue having problems send me a pm. I aint a master druid yet but i DO understand all the mechanics. We will easily find a rp reason for me to help you, as my druid apprentice lizard zytion likes helping lots of people, just say that you heard there was a lizard who likes helping other as an excuse for knowing me. I am almost always at or near the druid house, studeing,
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Netsirk wrote:Loose? yeah right...down right greedy if ya ask me.... :P
We'll see who's greedy rather soon then..won't we...*laughs maniacly*

He's actualy going to be using a large amount of the money shortly, he has big plans for...certain organisations.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It can be a bit of a struggle getting the money at first, but once you know a few things the money just starts rolling in.
Alex Heartnet

Post by Alex Heartnet »

Problem solved. You need a LARGE bottle, not a small one.

It is counterintuitive stuff like this that makes the game's learning curve higher then necessary. For common mistakes like this, it would be nice if the game messages were more helpful ("you need a LARGE bottle to brew a potion") ("You cannot bake bread in a smoke oven, try a baking house instead"). The various books around Gobaith are great for explaining the ingame lore and telling how to do things - it's the actual process of doing stuff that needs to be more intuitive.
pharse

Post by pharse »

And we need people who notice such things and report it on Mantis, so the game can be actually improved: http://illarion.org/mantis/my_view_page.php
So please, if you encounter such stuff, report it there! That really helps a lot.
Darkshade

Post by Darkshade »

ehm *brushes collar superiorly* do i get browny points?