meaning of attributes

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ceridaelathian Elathyn

meaning of attributes

Post by Ceridaelathian Elathyn »

It appears from the various posts about the subject that the effect of attributes on the variety of activities in-game is still somewhat mysterious from when I last played over a year ago. The wiki attribute page doesn't look like it's been touched since I left.

I'm thinking of making a new character and would like some clearer, consolidated information about the real effect of attributes.

Here are some specific questions:
- For example, for each weapon type, what affects damage and hit-rate?
- Does agility affect attack speed (attack frequency) as I have seen mentioned?
- How critical is agility for dodging and parrying attacks?
- What does the perception attribute affect in combat? Chance to hit in ranged combat only?
- Does dexterity affect crafting quality and success, or just the speed of crafting (following the wiki)?
- What attribute(s) comprise magic resistance? I've seen willpower and essence both mentioned; do they both work? Only one?

I could string together more questions, but perhaps an answer like the attribute page in the wiki would be best, with the affected actions listed after each attribute.

I have seen a large, new update being mentioned as in the works, so I realize that there are likely to be some changes. Some information on how things work now would be helpful in crafting a new character. I realize that RP is the point of the game in the end, but having an effective character for the intended role is helpful and ultimately more fun (in my opinion). I'm not planning on min/maxing, I just want some information to help me balance the new character in my mind.

Thanks in advance
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

I believe the reason it's not on the wki page is that you're not really supposed to know. As per the creation rules, it says to make your attributes according to what your character should have, not what makes the best use of the system.
Tanistian_Kanea

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

ok seriously guys, i imagine that the attributes have been super stickied somewhere but can they included a little more text to make it easier to help decipher how our characters act.
Llama

Post by Llama »

"- For example, for each weapon type, what affects damage and hit-rate?"

Strenght. But there are caps on the amount of useful strenght for each weapon. Like concussion weapons can take far more strenght than daggers.

"- Does agility affect attack speed (attack frequency) as I have seen mentioned?"

Agility regenerates your action points quicker, so they make you do everything faster. So yes.

"- How critical is agility for dodging and parrying attacks?"

Very

"- What does the perception attribute affect in combat? Chance to hit in ranged combat only?"

No idea

"- Does dexterity affect crafting quality and success, or just the speed of crafting (following the wiki)?"

Dexterity gives you a straight up 'extra skill' bonus. So it'll increase your quality, chance of success, and what you can make.

"- What attribute(s) comprise magic resistance? I've seen willpower and essence both mentioned; do they both work? Only one? "

I've heard willpower. I'm not sure. Magic resistance is rather broken anyway.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

"- What does the perception attribute affect in combat? Chance to hit in ranged combat only?"
Yes, it affects your parry and dodge. better eyesight means you see the blow coming and therefor have a better chance of missing it.
Rogan Thorgrim

Post by Rogan Thorgrim »

I've always felt Perception affected slashing combat as well. One of the more important attributes imo.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

I always thought perception affects how often you land heavy blows...
Ceridaelathian Elathyn

Post by Ceridaelathian Elathyn »

Thanks for the help; my new character is made. :) I really do wish there were less mystery meat in character design, though. Every game system seems to treat attributes differently, so going based on intuition doesn't always get you very far.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

That is why you use the default character sets :wink:
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Or use the default character sets and max the ones which are clearly dominant.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

AlexRose wrote:Or use the default character sets and max the ones which are clearly dominant.
Exactly.

But I feel there should be at least a bit of mystery otherwise you would have maxed chars all the time
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

There is huge mystery. Doing that will in no way get you a perfect char. Very far from it.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Here is the 'idiots guide' to attributes. I have experience of playing a range of combat chars, I never played a mage, so mage chars may differ in their opinion. So anyway here is the low down. (gms don't be annoyed, newbies will just keep asking) -
  • Strength is good for fist fighting and carrying alot of items.

Constitution determines how quickly your characters health bar will raise when regenerating.

Dexterity is good for accuracy with tools, and weapons.

Agility is good for how fast your char will move. This includes in defense.

Intelligence is how quick you learn.

Willpower is how long you can learn.

Perception like dexterity also helps with accuracy, also determinds how far your characters range of sight is.

Essence is good for magic resistance and learning magic.
HolyKnight

Post by HolyKnight »

Kugar wrote:...

(Additions)
  • Strength is good for fist fighting and carrying alot of items. Strength will also determine what your max hp will be and power of your blows when striking.

Constitution determines how quickly your characters health bar will raise when regenerating. Use to affect your resistance to poison and how quickly you could recover but I think that might be lore.

Dexterity is good for accuracy with tools, and weapons. Key attribute for making quality items when crafting, some say it helps with your ability to block but possibly more lore.

Agility is good for how fast your char will move. This includes in defense. More importantly it determines how fast you can swing your weapons, move across mali tiles (e.g. mud, rock, and forest), and lastly parry.

Intelligence is how quickly you learn. I also believe it helps with your skill cap

Willpower is how long you can learn. Supposedly.

Perception like dexterity also helps with accuracy, also determinds how far your characters range of sight is. It also allows you to see people more descriptively, locate where to dig for treasure maps, and I generally don't use it for combat characters because it's suppose help with critical hits but I haven't seen it do so.

Essence is good for magic resistance and learning magic. Not really learning, but it does help with magical resistance and regenerating mana.
Hope that helps, but I am beginning to wonder if people ever us the SEARCH function to look up their questions before making an entirely redundant thread...(look at these threads for more info)

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... attributes
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... attributes
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... attributes -- Check out Nalzaxx's post there ;-).