The Illarion Cleric (If and when it finally appears)

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Rye

The Illarion Cleric (If and when it finally appears)

Post by Rye »

I know it is likely to be a good ways off but when and IF the Cleric is ever fleshed out as a character I am wondering which attributes they would need. I realize this is pure speculation but I'd love to hear some opinions from the other players here. I assume that a Cleric would have to have a relatively high intelligence. One would also think that a good amount of willpower would be beneficial. Also a certain amount of essence since the natural role of a Cleric would put them at odds with undead and demons and the like. Clerics in other games are the ones responsible for healing for the most part but these spells are already given to Mages in Illarion.
There is also the possibility of a fighting Cleric. Other games I am familiar with have fighting Monks of one sort or another. These would require strength and agility as well. Of course we are all familiar with Monks who lead a monastic but productive life as crafters or farmers producing everything from beer and wine to almost anything one can think of. There is a monastery just outside Atlanta, Georgia in the US where the monks grow and sell the most beautiful bonsai of all things! So it is possible to perhaps have a Cleric as crafter character?
You can understand why I am curious as to what we will get when our Cleric finally appears in Illarion.
What form will Clerical magic take?
I ask this because if one were to create and RP a Cleric now it would be little more than guesswork as far as attributes go. When the character class is finally unveiled it would really suck to have guessed wrong and placed the attributes incorrectly to take advantage of what the devs come up with.
RayJ

Post by RayJ »

Very good question, I have the same but for a thief, it is provided for in character development, but not In Game.I cannot open locks, sneak, pick pockets or any skills a thief should have. So devs, we know it is about RP, but still, it is about more than fighting too.
pharse

Post by pharse »

I am sure that the GMs will change the attributes of properly played priests when the priest system comes out and the set attributes don't fit.

So far, it is planned that INT, WIL and ESS are the main attributes with a lower bound of 10 points each and a minimum of 35 to 40 points all together.

Probably the main spells will cover long time effects in healing and damage and temporarily pushing attributes and skills.

I think the attribute limitations are good, because not everyone should be able to learn even the easiest spells (same for mage magic). Nevertheless there is some freedom how to choose the rest of your attributes, so you can combine a priest with e.g. a fighter or crafter. But you should keep in mind that mixed characters will never be as good as straight ones.

I recommend to open another thread for the thief affairs...
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Theif will need good perception, agility and dexterity but thats just a pure guess and i doubt theives will ever be able to pick locks but they can rob people but it has to be RP'd
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alexander Knight wrote:they can rob people but it has to be RP'd
Which means that there's no engine support, so the attributes aren't useful. If the priest system is a VERY FAR OFF project, then a thieving system is so far off you really should not be planning, guessing or assuming on anything.
Loophole

Post by Loophole »

heya... i was thinking about an interesting concept. What about an evil cleric? i mean surley evil gods have clerics too?

oh yeah... thread necromancy!
Llama

Post by Llama »

Loophole wrote:heya... i was thinking about an interesting concept. What about an evil cleric? i mean surley evil gods have clerics too?

oh yeah... thread necromancy!
Given that we have an evil god (and a few rather dubious ones) - then of course evil clerics will be around. Again, this is going to come out in the far future...
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

according to the latest background development, the gods are no longer good or evil, they are all grey :o :o So, yeah.. you can choose any god and be a good or evil priest, as you like.
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

As far as i see there are 4 ways you are able to go. The grey one. The light one. The dark and dusty one. And last both are GREEN! :twisted:
Loophole

Post by Loophole »

ehem, the reason i say this is because evil god -if there are or were or whatever- would grant there priests damaging or hindering spells, while good gods would grant improvement spells aye? But now thos thing of grey gods has me confused
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

There is a group currently working on the priestsystem and yes they managed to think about fitting spells for the gods.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Please gods, make my left sock not be stinky anymore. Oh...my left sock is burning...