mage and druid

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Tanistian_Kanea

mage and druid

Post by Tanistian_Kanea »

ok, so here is an idea i don't think has come up yet but just popped into my head reading the top 5 thread. is it currently possible, to be both a mage and a druid?
Dronrul
Senior NPC Scripter

Post by Dronrul »

No.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

And it won't be in future. Never. You can do alchemy, though, but you'll never be able to perform druid magic as mage.
Dorton

Post by Dorton »

are there any alchemist only guilds around cos my character has been stuck as a 'training' alchemist for a few months now?
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

I think it should be clarified...

Though you can technically brew herbs together into a broth (alchemy) without being a druid, it is not possible to complete the final step to make it into a potion. (Or at least that's the way it was, I don't think it's changed.) Furthermore, without the first few "runes" druids get, it is incredibly difficult to make the potion/broth you want, because unless you have notes from a druid telling you exactly what each herb does, you're mixing blindly. Secondly, without those same runes, you have no personal quality control. You have to trust that your herb supplier is selling you only quality herbs if you want good potions/broths.

It's incredibly difficult to play an alchemist that has not become a druid. The engine does not allow a character to have magic -and- druid runes at the same time.
Dorton

Post by Dorton »

I was trying to play my character as more of an intellectual book reading alchemist who stays in doors brewing potions rather a druid who is at one with nature. Therefore the free druids seem unsuitable for such a character. He would have to learn without being an 'actual' druid in the tree hugging sense.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

Dorton wrote:I was trying to play my character as more of an intellectual book reading alchemist who stays in doors brewing potions rather a druid who is at one with nature. Therefore the free druids seem unsuitable for such a character. He would have to learn without being an 'actual' druid in the tree hugging sense.
That's fine, really. The whole nature thing is 100% roleplay. You can become a druid and call yourself whatever you want of course: shaman, alchemist, druid, kitchen wife. :P

You are capable of learning the alchemy system without the guidance of a druid guild. There's individual druids, I'm sure, who like you, are only "alchemists".

However, you more than likely want to be a druid in engine terms, and if you do that, you cannot learn magic as well (who would want to anyway? ;) )
Dorton

Post by Dorton »

What exactly does druid magic actually do? My character needs to be able to identify herb quality and how to actually brew potions and the equipment involved. Is that what druid magic does?
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Dorton wrote:What exactly does druid magic actually do? My character needs to be able to identify herb quality and how to actually brew potions and the equipment involved. Is that what druid magic does?
Would someone please answer this question? I'd like to know as well.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Well they can do EVERYTHING. Use runes to see your stats/skills, see every item you wear including the quality, make potions which change your appearance, kill you with a potion in 7 seconds (Counted when i gave squee one :)) Make a boom potion which is like a gynk but 100000000 times more powerful, they also have a few secrets ;), they can make you as small as possible or make you grow the size of a lich.
they can tell if you have a cold/poisoned/diseased and can cure them all
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Holy crap...I wanna be a druid now...Poison and appearance changing definately appeal. Wait, if it's possible to make someone not recognise you after you drink a potion, how come we haven't got hooded cloaks that do the same thing?
Alexander Knight

It changes the avatar, your name will still appear.
The poison will be taken out after the VBU because it is way too strong
Estralis Seborian

Alexander Knight wrote:The poison will be taken out after the VBU because it is way too strong
It is always interesting what people 'know' about the update. The information above is not entirely correct. The old potions - (strong) healing potion, mana potion, poison, wind potion - are a relict of the old druid magic system. They remained ingame even though druid magic was taken out.

Now we have the 'new' druid magic. Hence, the old potions will be no longer. But there are still potions with poison effect in the 'new' druid magic! Nasty once, I have to add.
Alexander Knight

Oh yeah, sorry. There will be nowhere you can craft poison weapons in what i mean :)
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Yay poison!

On a side note, is it within reason that such cloaks could hide whoever is wearing it?
Estralis Seborian

We have a different item that has exactly this effect. It is one of the last few mysteries of Illarion to find out ingame ;-).
Rincewind

Post by Rincewind »

I guess you find this mystery somwhere in GM-Castle :P
Alexander Knight

*cough* Check Irundar*cough*
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Erm...I don't mean invisibilty if that's what you're meaning...just more something that people don't rercognise your name...or is that what you do mean?