Language skill

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Phib

Language skill

Post by Phib »

I was glancing at the skill scroll IG and noticed I have two languages. One because my character is human and the other says common, its bright yellow, but has some skilling to it. Can someone explain common language.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

I got that too, mines about 1/4 way
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Common language is the default language your character speaks all the time. Human is a language you can switch to if you want to keep elves etc. from understanding you.

Type

!l human

To change to human

And

!l common

To change back.

Humans will see you say:
[hum] Hello there.

Elves will see:
[hum] ****o*******

Or something like that.

note that it's !L for Language, but it's a lower case L. And you only have to type it once to shift into the language, no need to type it again.

Also, you can only change languages in speech mode. If you have whisper mode turned on the client will read it as "#w !l human" and will see the #w command first so nothing will change.

There's a language for each race plus one for Ancient, that mages use when they cast etc.
Galim

Post by Galim »

Also, language can be lowered by death like any other skill. So when you die it may happen that you lose skill in your race language and you will see a learning level.

and yes...dieing enough my cause you to forget your mother language ;)
Phib

Post by Phib »

AlexRose wrote:Common language is the default language your character speaks all the time. Human is a language you can switch to if you want to keep elves etc. from understanding you.

Type

!l human

To change to human

And

!l common

To change back.

Humans will see you say:
[hum] Hello there.

Elves will see:
[hum] ****o*******

Or something like that.

note that it's !L for Language, but it's a lower case L. And you only have to type it once to shift into the language, no need to type it again.

Also, you can only change languages in speech mode. If you have whisper mode turned on the client will read it as "#w !l human" and will see the #w command first so nothing will change.

There's a language for each race plus one for Ancient, that mages use when they cast etc.
Galim wrote:Also, language can be lowered by death like any other skill. So when you die it may happen that you lose skill in your race language and you will see a learning level.

and yes...dieing enough my cause you to forget your mother language ;)
Thank you both for helping me understand.. No further assistance needed
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

In before "np".
Alexander Knight

AlexRose wrote:Common language is the default language your character speaks all the time. Human is a language you can switch to if you want to keep elves etc. from understanding you.

Type

!l human

To change to human

And

!l common

To change back.

Humans will see you say:
[hum] Hello there.

Elves will see:
[hum] ****o*******

Or something like that.

Didnt explain... What i asked, is why do i gain exp on common language? if i level up what does it do?
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

You only gain xp on common if you died enough that you lost skill in it. You only need something like 70% or 80% skill in language to speak it flawlessly anyway so it makes no difference.
Alexander Knight

and what happens if you lose it? how do you regain the skill
Silo

Post by Silo »

Another way to switch language, if you aren't typing: Right click the little box next to the chat box (the one that you click to change whisper, normal, shout, ooc) and you can click the languages you character knows.

EDIT: Skill is regained by speaking it. You don't really have to worry about it, though, unless you lose a *ton* of the language skill.
Sandro Arcanum

Post by Sandro Arcanum »

Other method to learn the language is playing an instrument (i think that still works) while having the specific language activated, some mages use that to learn the ancient language in that way
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

But I believe that is what they call bug abuse ;)
Sandro Arcanum

Post by Sandro Arcanum »

Azuros wrote:But I believe that is what they call bug abuse ;)
Well i didnt mean to spam the instrument in a annoying way, can be just RP like singing while playing.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Does this skilling in languages mean you can learn, say, the orc language if you hear it spoken enough, or only if you've lost skill in the languages you already know?
Sandro Arcanum

Post by Sandro Arcanum »

Arvemor wrote:Does this skilling in languages mean you can learn, say, the orc language if you hear it spoken enough, or only if you've lost skill in the languages you already know?
I think you cant learn the orc language being a human, for example, that would be unfair. But just try, type "!l orc" and start talking.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Let me sum it up to prefent spamming:

If you die, you might loose a level of your speech skills.

To regain them, you'll just SPEAK in that language. Speaking, not spamming like "Hey. How. Whats. Up. How. Are. You. ?."

If you want to learn another language you'll need a special book. So mages learn ancient, with the ancient book.
I am not sure if there is an elven book for the elven languere, an orc book, a lizard book (do the 2 have books?) or whatever.
If yes, you can learn these languages aswell, but dont think you'll get these books for a little "please..?"

And NO, you cant skill languages you don't know by listening to it. You have to gain the first skills in another way (in ancient its the book, others dunno)
Llama

Post by Llama »

There used to be books.

Then after a short period of time, due to people trading book for book, and due to the 'play instrument exploit', we had people who could speak in all languages.

So they axed the books, and made it so that only races can speak that language.

And before someoen asks: To learn you need at least 1 point in the language. So speaking elven if you're not an elf will do nothing.

Also, you can learn by LISTENING to the language being spoken as well.
Alexander Knight

So if some speaks ancient to me enough i can learn it?
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alexander Knight wrote:So if some speaks ancient to me enough i can learn it?
And before someoen asks: To learn you need at least 1 point in the language
-_-
Alexander Knight

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Also, you can learn by LISTENING to the language being spoken as well.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

He meant train it.