How much Skill do you lose when Ghosted

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

dwarvesarecool

How much Skill do you lose when Ghosted

Post by dwarvesarecool »

when you die how much skill do you lose, in what skills, and is it permanent?
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

As far as i know it is one skill by 1 level permanently.
Might be 2 aswell.

The choice which one is lowered is random
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Only lowered by 1? I thought it was 5 or so... I hope it's more than one.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

This was asked so many times. I think the last answer from a GM was, that there is a 30% chance for each skill you have, to be lowered by 1 level.
dwarvesarecool

Post by dwarvesarecool »

Five! #me gags and coughs up spittle
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

It's never ever 5...
But i guess we shall wait for a GM to answer ;-)
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

Rekarafi wrote:It's never ever 5...
But i guess we shall wait for a DEVELOPER to answer ;-)
Because we honestly do not know either.
Dronrul
Senior NPC Scripter

Post by Dronrul »

Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Ew. Seriously? 1% drop from dying? That's GOT to be fixed.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Ssar'ney

Post by Ssar'ney »

1% can be much, you know?

It takes more than some weeks (of rather intense skilling) to raise an important skill with acceptable fighter-chars
and I believe (and to a certain degree know) there are quite some out there having such skills.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

Ssar'ney is right there, a high skilled char really fears death. For me, Vel being ghosted, means countless hours of PGing. Don't forget, it's 1% loss of 30% of all skills.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

After a number (3-4) of "can't be helped" ghostings once, it took quite a number of weeks to be able to again fight some monsters, 1% is PLENTY, too much IMO.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Really? I don't know... That must be your opinion on what ghosting is, ingame. To me, you're lucky you still keep the char after you die... I know some games where you don't.

I know it's hard to gain skill at higher levels... Maybe a lower skill loss on higher-leveled skills, and a higher skill loss on lower-leveled skills from ghosting? It'd add some balance... Because unless you're light yellow+ in a skill, 1% isn't much. Just a thought.

Also... If you've got 3-4 ghostings in a short period of time... there's a problem. I'm just one of those people who's in favor of "characters fearing death," so don't mind me. :)
Juliana D'cheyne

Alli Zelos wrote:Really? I don't know... That must be your opinion on what ghosting is, ingame. To me, you're lucky you still keep the char after you die... I know some games where you don't.

I know it's hard to gain skill at higher levels... Maybe a lower skill loss on higher-leveled skills, and a higher skill loss on lower-leveled skills from ghosting? It'd add some balance... Because unless you're light yellow+ in a skill, 1% isn't much. Just a thought.

Also... If you've got 3-4 ghostings in a short period of time... there's a problem. I'm just one of those people who's in favor of "characters fearing death," so don't mind me. :)
No problem * winks* just RP.

Why should game mechanics and punishment be so severe to cause a "fear" of death not from the char, but the player, this takes the fun out of the game. There are plenty of things ig we RP to.... simply sitting in a chair without the game mechanics. Do most chars stand on a chair and pretend it isn't there, or RP they sit? Why should your idea of what ghosting is be made into game mechanics to force it on others? You are welcomed to RP your char dies at ghosting, if someone goes to the cross and doesn't RP anything at all, it is usually a new player that needs to be helped/shown the idea of RP and injury. With the game mechanics of decreased health no one can go to the cross and begin to fight anyway *shrugs* All I am saying is we have plenty of game mechnics now to prevent the most obvious RP problems and to increase the consequences of a char's injury in order to "make" the PO "fear death" and RP better IMO is not the answer...teaching and showing by example is.

I would like the idea of decreasing this loss the harder a skill is to gain however.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

For a lot of people, there should be a fear of ghosting from the PO... it might cause their character to react a bit more realistically. I don't think I'm alone when I say I hate when there's a warrior in a room, a demon barges in and all you get is "#me finishes his wine, sighing in an irritated manner as he draws his blades."

I understand new players, and I understand that a few people *do* RP appropriately... If you do, then there's really nothing to worry about. But again, that's just because I'm tired of the "unshakable warrior" stereotype. Few people learn by the "teaching and showing" method... If someone loses 1% off a skill, compared to 5%... Might they think twice about the fearless charge into the mob of skeletons?

What would you think of... say... anyone 1-15% in skill would have 2% skill loss at death (less, possibly). This would allow new player to get some kind of a base... at 16-30%, skill loss would be at 3%. At 30-60, 4% skill loss. 61-80, 2% skill loss. 81-100, 1% skill loss. Change this as you see fit.

EDIT: Pointless, I'm thinking, with the new fighter system coming. Nevermind. :)
Juliana D'cheyne

Having a "crazy" char that is likely to yell and jump on the back of the demon as totally ignore it, I would say for some that picking up their sword and walking to fight is fine. A lot depends on the char I would think, their background, emotions etc. not on placing any fear into the PO. This is a game that can sway the imaginations of people, it is why people keep coming back to play again and again. I never thought the game should be exactly like RL, IMO that is part of the fun :wink: .

Just saw your last remark and agree.. pointless to discuss at present anyway.

apologizes to the original poster for getting offtopic Sorry.
Lrmy

Post by Lrmy »

Makes you think if they read what the link says... : :lol:
Llama

Post by Llama »

Lrmy wrote:
Makes you think if they read what the link says... : :lol:
Estralis ∈ Brilliant
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

IMO there shouldn't be any permanent penalties to character death, like losing items or skill points.

That kind of stuff is really yesteryear, and I think, is wrongly supposed to instill fear of the character's death in the player.

A temporary penalty where stuff is lowered for a certain amount of time makes more sense.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Hey, i almost died and only escaped death for one hair.
Good thing my lost things will reappear in two days.
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Moirear Sian wrote:IMO there shouldn't be any permanent penalties to character death, like losing items or skill points.

That kind of stuff is really yesteryear, and I think, is wrongly supposed to instill fear of the character's death in the player.

A temporary penalty where stuff is lowered for a certain amount of time makes more sense.
But then why would anyone fear dying? :?

If you got good stuff and you run the risk of losing it then people will be less stupid and therefor better RP in my opinion
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Is this starting to become the proposals board? :P
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

I don't know about anyone else, but the vast majority of my character deaths are because my internet connection cuts out, rather than a lack of caution.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Had that problem long time ago, too.
really EVERY damn time i went up to the mage skeleton my connection broke and while i was still online but not playing it killed me with spells ...
But yeah, stopped after a certain time. Dunno why.