Recommended Attributes for a Fighter Character

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

dwarvesarecool

Recommended Attributes for a Fighter Character

Post by dwarvesarecool »

I know Strength, Agility, and Constitution affect all types of fighting, but I've also heard intelligence affects the rate of skill gain and Tactics ability, and that dexterity and perception affect your overall fighting ability. Willpower apparently gives a boost to Magical Resistance. Tell me, if I'm making a very fighter based character, what are the stats I need.
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Not that it's all about stats right? :roll:
Lol, I think dexterity had something to do with dodging....and I think perception was for parry.
Willpower might be important if you wanna train for ages at a time. Intelligence for tactics, yeah.
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

lol, dont listen to Arvemor he doesnt know what hes talking about. Anyway heres a kind of list thingo.

Strength = hpw much damage you do with a wepon.
Agility = has fast you attach and how well you dodge/parry (cant remmember which one)
Constitution = how fast you heal, endure poison and things
Dexterity = only useful iy you want to craf things im pritty sure....
Intelligence = tactics (how many people you can take on at once)
Perception = how accurate you are with hitting and how wel you dodge/parry (not sure which on again...sorry)
Willpower = magic resistance
Essence = pritty usesless unles you feel like becoming a mage i gues....

most fighters as far as i can tell have pritty low essance and willpower, average intelligance. average dexterity and the others on fairly high numbers. Hope to meet you ingame somtime, and good luck :wink:
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

Lol, my bad. And shut up! :D

Lol, and sorry about the somehow double post.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

The informations of "dwarvesarecool" are more correct than the informations of "Morbius". So, bascially every attribute affects combat, in special when you oppose magic monsters or mages. It is always funny to see how high skilled, maxed out fighters drop like flies when the first trash mobs with magical spells come around the corner...

So: For a fighter, stuff some points to STR, CON, AGI, DEX, PER, WIL, ESS and INT. No attribute is totally unimportant. The more points you assign to WIL and ESS, the less effective your character will be in melee, but could stand some more spells of a skeleton mage. You can always retreat from melee, but a spellslinger can hit you even if you run away...

INT really affects tactics and learning speed, but do not overestimate this influence. PER plays a role e.g. for swift characters that prefer hit and run tactics or distance fighting, a brute force tank in plate mail does not benefit from PER that much. But keep in mind that e.g. collecting herbs could also be affected be PER.

Think about what kind of character you want to play. A tank needs CON. A damage dealer needs STR, maybe AGI to increase attack speed, some DEX to improve rate of hits. A kiter needs AGI to run away, DEX to hit and dodge and also some PER. An anti-mage-machine needs WIL, ESS,... You can see, there is no perfect stat set for fighters (OK, Matt will disagree on this), taking also into account that some oddities of the current fighting system will be fixed. So, do not tune your character to fit the current circumstances too much.
dwarvesarecool

Post by dwarvesarecool »

thanks for the real answer Estralis :D
nmaguire

Post by nmaguire »

click and drag the weapons into your hands
Silo

Post by Silo »

omg, finally!!1!!11 thx!
dwarvesarecool

Post by dwarvesarecool »

wait yer saying that my 17 dexterity crafter can be a good fighter because dexterity affects attack rate and dodge/parry?
Silo

Post by Silo »

Could probably be good with daggers... I'm not too positive. Having one stat being high won't necessarily make the character a "good fighter"... it's the combination of attributes that depicts that.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Silo wrote:it's the combination of attributes that depicts that.
Right. A character with 17 DEX, but 3 CON will definatly suck as fighter. Again, no attribute is useless, it is all a matter of taste. Currently, for the most used fighting stance (dual sword, heavy armor), certain attribute sets might be preferable, but keep in mind what I wrote about changes to the fighting system... And no, we will not let you reassign your attributes from scratch when this change takes place.

If I'd create a figher these days, I would put something around 10-13 on CON, some more (>12) on AGI, STR, average (9-11) DEX and INT and the rest below average. This yields a multi purpose, average fighter without any weaknesses nor strenghts. You can, of course, max out certain attributes, but don't come crying after the update ;-).
dwarvesarecool

Post by dwarvesarecool »

great, apparently all my state are good except 10 agility.