Breaking the rules or not?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alexander Knight

Breaking the rules or not?

Post by Alexander Knight »

Is it breaking the rules if i make someone hold my stuff while i delete Alexander Knight and make a new char with the same name and transfer the name files and then go and pick my old stuff up, cos i have seen that the gm's dont re arrange stats and i want better stats
Athian

Post by Athian »

yes, that would be against the rules
Alexander Knight

Okay its just in theory it would be the same char
Llama

Post by Llama »

I really don't know about this to be honest.

I mean in theory, its the same character, and you worked to get the stuff (for that character) already.

Best wait for a GM.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I had a simliar question for one of my students in the past, she made the mistake to place her magic stats wrong and thus had an essence of 6, after asking a gm if she can redo her char and give me all her stuff before hand the answer was the same, its not allowed, even if I personally do not understand that one bit, after all it would be the "same" char.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

I was told, theory behind it is you could have one character with certain stats say of a crafter, make and gather products then delete and make a fighter transferring those products to a char no longer able to make them leading to an unfair advantage.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:I was told, theory behind it is you could have one character with certain stats say of a crafter, make and gather products then delete and make a fighter transferring those products to a char no longer able to make them leading to an unfair advantage.
So you're saying, that I'm going to make a very skilled crafter, only to DELETE HIM and get a fighter character? That would be incredibly stupid O_o.

That said, why can't they keep tabs on this sort of thing? Or make you require to fill in a form saying what your character is going to become, and to check that the attributes reflect that.

Otherwise this is just a great way of making players angry. I always stat my characters in a stupid way and end up feeling sorry for them afterwards. I mean my crafter started out with 3 perc (-_-).
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
Juliana D'cheyne wrote:I was told, theory behind it is you could have one character with certain stats say of a crafter, make and gather products then delete and make a fighter transferring those products to a char no longer able to make them leading to an unfair advantage.
So you're saying, that I'm going to make a very skilled crafter, only to DELETE HIM and get a fighter character? That would be incredibly stupid O_o.

That said, why can't they keep tabs on this sort of thing? Or make you require to fill in a form saying what your character is going to become, and to check that the attributes reflect that.

Otherwise this is just a great way of making players angry. I always stat my characters in a stupid way and end up feeling sorry for them afterwards. I mean my crafter started out with 3 perc (-_-).
An example only, I am sure you can figure out other scenarios, to repeat this is what I understood yet don't know for sure. My first char (a crafter also) was made with the generalized stats recommended at the start of the game with nothing changed. Some categories can be adjusted to get maximum benefit when understanding stats more as you play, yet the generalized ones she started out with works fine. I don't know any recommended stats for a char that would give you just 3 perc *shrugs*.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

We have the possibility of changing your stats, you can ask a GM that. However, this is within limits (You can only get +2 or -2 per stat when you request that). Deleting your char to throw your stats around and getting your stuff back isn't allowed because it would mean exactly what example Juliana is giving. You could become an awesome crafter first and then give all your awesome-sauce items to the same character, who suddenly became an awesome-sauce fighter.

Now, people usually find out about their stats pretty early in their career here on Illarion, and I myself am pretty lenient with newbies. Established players could read the wiki if they want to know how to divide their stats. If you feel that the wiki or the webpage itself is unclear about which stats to take, feel free to clarify these descriptions so they show which stats are useful for crafters/fighters/mages.

That's all that I have to say. Feel free to delete your char Alexander and throw your stats around, but that would also mean losing your items. However, you can ask the staff for a statchange (as long as it is within the limits of +2 -2, so for instance +2 ess, +2 int, -2 str, -2 agi), and we will do it for you, without deleting your char or your items or your skills. Every player has the ability to request this.

Mesha
Alexander Knight

No all it is, cos Alex is my first char i decided to make him an all rounder as i did not have any idea what to make him (i was going to try being a mage :|) but with...
Str:10
Dex:10
Per:10
Agi:10
Ess:10
Con:14
Int:10
Will:10
I dont think i can better myself as a soldier...
As for the stuff i would of moved, it would have only been 3 cursed shields, 2 elven silver steel armor, 100 fish, a few tools and 20 silver, so its not like im majorly abusing the char and he would be the same profession :|
Kranek

Post by Kranek »

People...not only the story, but also the apperance AND the attributes make a char!
Someone with strength 8 is totaly different to someone with str 14!!
Changing your Attributes a big way also changes your chars!!
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Alexander Knight wrote:As for the stuff i would of moved, it would have only been 3 cursed shields, 2 elven silver steel armor, 100 fish, a few tools and 20 silver, so its not like im majorly abusing the char and he would be the same profession :|
Just get rid of them, in 1 months time you'll have 10 times that really. It's nothing important at all. Cursed shields are common as hell (Blake has like 50), fish? Seriously? :P The tools you can get anywhere too, 20 silvers isn't that big of a sum. Really just forget about the items.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Kranek wrote:People...not only the story, but also the apperance AND the attributes make a char!
Someone with strength 8 is totaly different to someone with str 14!!
Changing your Attributes a big way also changes your chars!!
This is true, but there's a slight problem. Just as your character's story and appearance change, so should their attributes. If you have someone with 9 strength who mines their entire life, wouldn't their strength rise? In the real world, not only does someone's skill rise, but so does their physical qualities.
wilf

Post by wilf »

if this would be right in the rules, i would change my char often... only to see whats are the best Attributes for my Warriorchar!... play your alexander Knight char like he is. and btw... the most important thing in Illarion is the ROLEPLAY... not the Engine... that is something, that many players going to forget...
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Did someone said to discuss the rules.
  1. You want your character stats changed you can do it within the limits once. Then you can keep your skills and your items.
  2. You want your characters stats changed beyond the limits, then you have to recreate your character and will loose your skills and your items.
These are the options and nothing else.

Nitram