Runic Magic question

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

AdamsJr

Runic Magic question

Post by AdamsJr »

I noticed in the story boards for the histories that there is a runic cast system is this in effect. If so can someone point mage Druidic character in the right direction to pursue such a practice. and I am also trying to figure out the lore for the alchemic part of the druidic potions Ie how to make them what tools are needed, do I need bottles for the potions general druid basics. Can some one point me to a guide if there is any for this part of the world I would really appreciate it.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

I hope I got your question right:

There are two active magic systems: Arcane magic (spellcasting) and druid magic (brewing potions). For the first, you currently need a magic teacher. Best of luck finding one, try here:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=30923
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=26131

Druids brew potions, for this, you don't need anything else but some herbs, a bottle and a cauldron. The rest is "trial and error". Or, to speed up things, you make contact with a druid guild:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=31403
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=28987
http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... hp?t=30645

It is a known flaw that there is neither a simple startup guide for magic, nor suitable starting packages nor satisfying learning systems. You can always help Illarion grow by e.g. writing such a guide for the Illapedia:

http://illarion.org/community/wiki/inde ... in_Page/de
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Also:
You can only do one or the other.
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Right, ingame its not possible to become mage AND druid same time for some RP reason.
Wanted to make this too, but i terribly failed and got nothing lol.
Choose one of them.
Either get runes and mana and cast spells (this could take looooooong time)
Or become a druid (dunno how long, but guess its shorter)
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

A fair warning, becoming a mages ~does~ take extremly long and honestly you should try to get to know the game first.

I would say it takes maybe half an rl year to get a mage started, a whole year to have a mage who is actually usefull, mages are the most expensiv most training intensive and most foodwasting class there is and aside from the technical stuff you normally need to know how to rp and you need to know almost all magical theory if you want to "pull it off", so don't waste your time on mages first, get to know the game, see if you stik with it and than you can decide if you want a mage, nothing is more frustrating for a teacher to waste hours upon hours upon hours to teach someone, who than jsut drops out of the game.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

@Pell

Name the problem in clear words: the teaching system does not work proper for mages. That is the oonly reason why it is so difficult to learn it.
you normally need to know how to rp
Oh? I thought you need to know that for the game at all....

I know you like to think that but mages are not more special (or elitist) than a smith.... both has to be rped in a proper way.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I doubt you know enough about the teacher system to judge it, we got 28 runes, 26 of them are common among the teachers, we just can teach 2 runes per week that means, if you teach your student all 26 runes you need 13 weeks, that alone are 3 months, but you have to take in consideration that, with the new addition of skill teaching, the student needs to actually have a skillpercantage of a school to get higher runes.

This in the combination with the fact that you don't always find time to actually teach you can say a student gets one rune per week, if he is lucky. Thus alone for the runes half a year is a good measurment.

To the other point, do you honestly "complain" about the fact, that I want mages to rp, seriously I rathe rhave a smith who just clikcs all day than a kill crazy mage who sets the town on fire the whole day, the probem here is aswell, that there is no actually punishment for abusing magic, sadly enough, so once you have given someone runes he keeps them for good.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Here is an idea: Player A lies and gets all the runes he wants. Player A then turns into a total jerk, is power leveled beyond belief, and is thusly killing people.
What do you do?
Kill him.
Problem Solved!
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Unlike real life, once you kill someone, he doesnt stay dead..
Rekarafi

Post by Rekarafi »

Then arrange (tell him OOC) that this is a FINAL FIGHT (hell yeah), and the looser char dies permanently.
As far as i got it there are already laws in some guilds who require a perma death after breaking them. Thing is just that both must agree, else the PO will get angry.

But it is like it is, if someone RP's a mass murderer, he has the chance to get killed. Forever. You could also RP after knocking him back cutting an arm or such.
Always fun 8)
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

For me I'm aganst the permanent loss of chars, I for myself put up too much work in my char to jsut let it go wasted, sdure I shouldn't have done some things,but you always should give people a chance, mages are easy to make useless, take qwan, kel and jus away from them and they remain pretty useless, play it out as a curse and if someone has learned its lesson you can give him the runes back,if he falls back in old schematic his runes get deleted and he might have to relearn them.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

You cant force perma death upon anyone, no matter how idiotic his char behaves or how many IG rules he broke.. no chopping heads in the town square, sadly.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Rekarafi wrote:But it is like it is, if someone RP's a mass murderer, he has the chance to get killed. Forever. You could also RP after knocking him back cutting an arm or such.
Interesting fact:

If he's a good Roleplayer, then he probably knows and would accept getting killed

If he's a crappy roleplay who just PKs people randomly, he'll probably get blown up by a GM.

In the end they all die :)