PK'er?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

fionandean

PK'er?

Post by fionandean »

One of the things I really liked about the idea of this game was that (as I thought) PK was not really supposed to happen. I have just been killed by someone that I could not get any information on other than human warrior. I have no idea why and I have lost all of my belongings. I did'nt complain when I got killed by a wolf (my own silly fault for being there - but a shame I couldn't run away) and when the bee killed me, well I was trying to take its honey after all. The mosquitos were a bit of a shock, but once again, when you have a weak character who is essentially a pacifist, but likes to go wandering through the woods collecting herbs, what do you expect? Fighting is something I don't do unless I have to. I was so startled by this attack I didn't even change from my sickle back to my sword (I bought it after I lost my staff when the mosquitos killed me). Well, I have lost my scissors, all of the bark I had just collected (170 pieces - some to sell for new tools and some for me to dye cloth) two sickles, my bag, my sword, the shield a friend made me, my axe, a couple of buckets (I like to try planting trees ... sometimes it works) my food and other things that I have probably forgotten. Oh, and my leggings. (I lost my armour ages ago). Well, difficult as it going to be for me to recover from this (I am still very new and not really solvent) what I would really like to know is, is there anything that can or will be done about this? I tried to ask him why, he never even spoke. Was he a person who thought that was some sort of fun? or was it some sort of npc? (just wondered cause I could see so little information on him) I really hope he is not an npc - there was no roleplaying or reason to what happened. And after the glitch where I lost my bag last night, that would be very demoralising. :(

(edit) I think he must be an npc, he is still there just walking around.
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

it seems as if you were attacked by a bandit. I didnt think there were anything but wolves in the woods, but there are bandits to the north. If it said human warrior above his head, or when you clicked on him, then yea it was an npc.
fionandean

Post by fionandean »

I have been this way so many times before with no problems ...
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

I just ran into you, and I dc'ed by the seahorse. I am sorry but I don't think I will be able to get back IG right now. I think you are a good rp'er and was really enjoying the rp.
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

Some of the bandits say "bandit" but some now say "human warrior" they are a little stronger then regular bandits IMO. Lots of us have been ghosted by the "monsters" in game. Before roaming too much it may be best to ask the "safe" places or ask a fighter to go with you as one of my other chars did, though a lot of times you can outrun them :wink: . Most of the time sticking to the road can help.. though not always.
Taliss Kazzxs

Post by Taliss Kazzxs »

I actually caught myself saying greetings to the necro man guy at the graveyard the other day, he wasn't in his usual position and I mistook him for a player :P
Juliana D'cheyne

Taliss Kazzxs wrote:I actually caught myself saying greetings to the necro man guy at the graveyard the other day, he wasn't in his usual position and I mistook him for a player :P
I bet that was very interesting!
Salathe

Post by Salathe »

i once logged on drunk and attacked a human player in the graveyard thinking he was a human necro :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

he said ((wtf?)) and i said sorry a whole bunch of times and logged

:oops: :oops: :oops:

and to fion, there are very few players that will simply come up to you and attack you to death without saying anything at all. And if they ever do, right click them and report them to the staff, that kind of behavior is not allowed.
fionandean

Post by fionandean »

thanks guys :) Was a bit demoralising at the time as it was the 2nd time in 12 hrs that I had lost a bag, a whole lot of bark and most of my tools. (The first time was a glitch with my bag) Was hard enough to buy everything again the first time but I guess I will get sorted again. And I will know to look out for bandits in that area now. (and was great to see him get got! :twisted: made me feel much better! lol)
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Sometimes it even surprises older players :P

Once I tried to talk to such a guy.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Jupiter wrote:Once I tried to talk to such a guy.
And now with the 'leave image showing' bug, you can talk to people who left there 20 minutes ago :) (How many times has this happened to all of you ;) ?)
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
And now with the 'leave image showing' bug, you can talk to people who left there 20 minutes ago :) (How many times has this happened to all of you ;) ?)
5 times for me...last one was last night with the golem, a man came up there while i was..training with the golem. he barely cam into my view before he left again. then i go to leave after a successful training session only to find him blocking the way out. after 1 minute of RP telling him to move i discovered i could walk right trough him...>_<
Grim_banned

Post by Grim_banned »

My orc is enemies with a guy that you rarely see IG and one day I spot him near the gates in TB. I begin talking to him, roleplaying and even prepare to attack, when someone walks by and says "Who are you talking to?" :lol:
Juliana D'cheyne

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
WAY too many, still not sure some of my emotes/words were caught or not.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Lmao.. sometimes I see two people "ghosted" into each other. XD It's weird.
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

PK 'er?

I hardly know 'er!
xBaurusx

Post by xBaurusx »

rakust dorenstkzul wrote:PK 'er?

I hardly know 'er!
Dun Dun

Chhh!
rainbird

Post by rainbird »

I'm new. Ran my first character for a few hours, figured some stuff out, created character #2 (Angus Morchella). Ran him for a couple of days, started to enjoy developing his character, developing some basic skills, meeting interesting characters, etc.

Today, someone ("Bandor", I think), killed Angus in broad daylight, in the middle of Troll's Bane, for no reason. The character was arrested by a guard named Jefferson, and hopefully, will be dealt with harshly.

Nonetheless, my enthusiasm for this game is now completely shot. My character lost an arm, and with it, all his motivation, as did I. I may come back in a few days, create a new character, and try again, or I may not. I don't know.

Troll's Bane -- or somewhere -- needs to be set up as "safe haven" for the newbies. Role-play or no, you can't be PKing complete noobs, and expect people to stick around.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
It happens to me every day, whenever someone leaves the screen and has some sort of light with them the image stays.
Juliana D'cheyne

Nonetheless, my enthusiasm for this game is now completely shot. My character lost an arm, and with it, all his motivation, as did I. I may come back in a few days, create a new character, and try again, or I may not. I don't know.

This is a good guide to re-read. Only the player of the char can make a decision about that char:

http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... highlight=

If your char didn't want an arm cut off i.e. YOU didn't RP or agree, then you can RP it differently. As an example:

If someone RP's they "pushed your char and he fell off a cliff and died" this is forced RP which is not allowed. You can call a gm, and simply RP your char "stumbled but caught themselves before falling off the cliff". How to RP takes a learning curve and I hope you give it another try. :)

RP is to be fun and criminals in Trolls Bane CAN be fun for all encouraging a lot of different RP. ALL PKing is suppose to have RP with it if not there are links to contact the gm on the main page, and also you can call a gm in game.
rainbird

Post by rainbird »

Juliana D'cheyne wrote:ALL PKing is suppose to have RP with it if not there are links to contact the gm on the main page, and also you can call a gm in game.
Apparently it was a "valid" RP kill ... character seems to be some kind of chaotic, demon-worshipping cult member. That's besides the point. The player did nothing wrong.

The way the game is set up, is wrong. It is wrong to drop completely new players into a situation where they can be killed no matter where they go, no matter what they do. How can this game have existed for 8 years without the organizers figuring this out?
Juliana D'cheyne

My first char only lasted one hour before being killed/ghosted :) .... had some interesting RP when got back in game telling the story.
Korwin

Post by Korwin »

It will be a pity if you don't return, rainbird. It's good to run into new players who are already experienced roleplayers, and I hope you don't let this experience turn you off of the game.

There was a time when, "My character is insane so they kill people at random," and, "My character is evil so they kill people at random," was recognized as a poor attempt to legitimize PKing, and I hope it still is.
rainbird

Post by rainbird »

Korwin wrote:It will be a pity if you don't return, rainbird. It's good to run into new players who are already experienced roleplayers, and I hope you don't let this experience turn you off of the game.
He killed my character again. My character sat down in front of him, on the ground, unarmed, in the middle of town, in the middle of the day, and he killed my character again. In exchange, I refused to resurrect, and instead, followed his character around for an hour and haunted him. Childish, at first, but it soon become very interesting to RP a ghost.

Nonetheless, he was apparently freed by the guards. There is no justification for a character like that to be allowed to walk free.

This is without a doubt the worst roleplay-focused RPG I've ever seen. Unfortunately, it is also the only one I've ever seen. ... sigh.
Kamilar

Post by Kamilar »

:( Sorry for the bad early experience. Give us another chance?
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

I'd be curious to hear Bandorakai's side on this, to be honest.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Actually I'm pretty sure that's crossing the OOC-PK-ing line.

You should have !gm-ed and let them take care of this.

In general, if you're doing NOTHING there shouldn't be ramnifications to that.

If of course you go around insulting people's mothers, religions, race, beard hair, tail size ect they have a right to act violent.

Most people don't just go ctrl-click though - you just stumbled upon a rather crappy roleplayer apparently.
Velisai

Post by Velisai »

I haven't seen all of this as my char was running for her life after a brief fight, however the part with the forced RP of an arm being cut off is true. There's also not much you can do against that RP-wise, if you are ghosted. Though I could have easily RPed cutting off Bandor's head last time he died by Harok's and Vel's blade, I didn't do it. My char wouldn't hesitate to kill him, but forced perma-death is against the rules for all I know.
The question is: How the hell does one RP being beaten to near death and still walk off with all limbs still in their place if that's exactly what the cultist was after? Just ignore it?

The fight itself wasn't RPed at all. I was attacked before I had a chance to emote anything, so Vel just drew her swords and tried her best to strike back. Angus came to help her and was ghosted after both tried to run. We all met at the cross again, where the arm situation happened seconds after Vel was in range to see it. The whole situation were two emotes "#me cuts his arms clean off." and "#me fills his vial.". After Angus resurrected, he tried to take revenge immediately. From this point on the IC atmosphere was totally ruined. Bandor gave back the items Angus dropped. Vel carried them to Angus, from the cross to the town square where they ran into Jefferson.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Bandorakai is sort of new too, from what I gather.

Though, this seems like a GM-matter definitely. The problem with jailing such chars is that the GM's do not generally like us jailing chars indefinitely (which I sort of understand).

EDIT: That cannot be done ever ever ever. He did NOT have the right or power to cut off a char's arm. That you can, and should, freely ignore because you have no obligation to have someone elses shitty force-RP imposed on your char (permanently).
Llama

Post by Llama »

Rule 8:

"Power emotes, which have effects on other characters and don't give them the opportunity to react are prohibited (e.g. "#me chops off the dwarf's head")."

There you are.

Bandorakai isn't as new as you think he is.