Epic Lag?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

gimlear

Epic Lag?

Post by gimlear »

I have noticed that my character is painfully slow when walking around (as in, 10-15 seconds between steps). Is this normal or is it some kind of lag/client/server/connection problem?
gimlear

One more thing...

Post by gimlear »

Also, I'm at the cooking place on newbie island. I can cook the sausage the first time, but I can't figure out how to use the spoon on the sausage to complete the dish.
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Make sure the fire is going, and right while holding shift click the spoon. Then, still holding shift, click the sausage. Release.

If this does not work, make sure you are standing next to, and facing, the fire.
Naerwyn

Post by Naerwyn »

Do you get the "You are encumbered" message? If you carry a lot of heavy objects, your character will move more slowly on different terrain types.
gimlear

Post by gimlear »

Vern: Ah, I wasn't getting the whole shift+click thing. I'll try that.

Naerwyn: I've been moving the same speed ever since I started. And yes, I did get that message once. I dropped a bunch of stuff, but it didn't seem to help the speed of movement.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Also note that if you walk on forest, mud or mountain tiles you'll go slower.
gimlear

Post by gimlear »

So, in other words, it's supposed to be like that.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

We can't really know unless we're sitting behind you. You don't want me behind you. :lol:

But seriously, for a test, drop EVERYTHING you have on the ground, including your clothes, and try walking on a street.

If it walks fast and normal, then yeah.

Lag makes you UNABLE to move completely, or say anything. Being weighted down makes your avatar's animation slow too. If you're completely overcarrying, you'll get a message saying you're carrying too much to walk.
Llama

Post by Llama »

MoonDust wrote:You don't want me behind you. :lol:

drop EVERYTHING you have on the ground, including your clothes
End of discussion.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Hadrian_Abela wrote:
MoonDust wrote:You don't want me behind you. :lol:

drop EVERYTHING you have on the ground, including your clothes
End of discussion.
rofl.
AlexRose

Re: Epic Lag?

Post by AlexRose »

gimlear wrote:(as in, 10-15 seconds between steps)
No, that is most definitely not normal.

When you type into the client, does your text take ages to come up? Like just type fwekflwffwe or whatever and see if the text comes up immediately or lags. If the text is lagging, you have issues and need to update your drivers and whatnot.
gimlear

Post by gimlear »

AlexRose wrote:

When you type into the client, does your text take ages to come up? Like just type fwekflwffwe or whatever and see if the text comes up immediately or lags. If the text is lagging, you have issues and need to update your drivers and whatnot.
When typing, the text appears like normal, but when I press enter it takes a few seconds to appear, especially when an NPC response is forthcoming.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

gimlear wrote:
AlexRose wrote:

When typing, the text appears like normal, but when I press enter it takes a few seconds to appear, especially when an NPC response is forthcoming.
Yeah, that's lag.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Try reducing the frame rate to 13 or so (you can do it using the options part of the client) - that usually helps a bit.
Deuce

Post by Deuce »

For the slowness - try not running sharing programs, and anything else that has chance of slowing you down. On some comps it could be something as simple as bit torrent slowling you down, or a virus scan or whatever.

Delete cache regularly too, see if that helps and clear lists like that ya know?