Special Races

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Gergoth

Special Races

Post by Gergoth »

im sure its probaly been asked before but i couldnt find a answer so i wanted to as what is it that makes the special races well special some people have said its because they were added later but id have thought theyd have been added into main stream by now if that was the case others have said its harder to rp but if u can play a flower picking orc or a dwarf who hates gold or a pyromanic elf or a anorexic halfling without permission i dont see why it should be any harder to play a gnome or a goblin or a fairy so i myself cant see that being the answer but as im not sure im left to ask the rping community as well im new and have no real idea :)
Gregor Dynati

Post by Gregor Dynati »

As a side note to your post:

I had to read it five times, to get the content of your speech.
There exist funny things that are called punctuation-marks, they
improve the readability quite a lot.
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

Gregor, go have a look at Nitram's post in the general board called "New players".

As for the new player; welcome to Illarion, glad you're interested in the races.

They're called "Special races" because you have to apply and get a GM's approval before being allowed to play them. You can not just create a new character and immediately select them. That's pretty much the sole reason. They're rare and you don't see as many of them in game. They're not any more special than orcs or elves though, just less common.

Good luck.
Gergoth

Post by Gergoth »

well yes i understood that i was mearly unsure of what made them so special that it was required and gregor i apologize i never was any good at puncuation one of my many flaws conviently tho its not quite so needed for rping so thats ok :)
Alsaya

Post by Alsaya »

You are right, the special races were added later but that isn't the reason why they are special.
Those races are more challenging to play than the common ones, sure you may play anything you want, like a halfing that hates cake or a lizard who's afraid of water but for those races we would like to see them well played like they should be.
Most races are just played like humans just with another avatar and that is the whole reason behind the application, we want to make sure that at least three races are played how they should be.

EDIT: Plus, you can feel special when you pass the application :wink:
Llama

Post by Llama »

Alsaya wrote:or a lizard who's afraid of water
Disclaimer: Friendliness with other lizards is not guaranteed with that background.
Gergoth

Post by Gergoth »

Alsaya wrote:EDIT: Plus, you can feel special when you pass the application :wink:
Or feel bad when you fail like i did lol. But as i dont want this to seem like a complaining thread i wont go into that but thanks for the info i was unsure as to what made them differnt
Muffin

Post by Muffin »

I use to play a fairy and I'm trying to make a new one but I can't find a link to make one or even apply for one. Do I really need to re-apply?
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

I think you only need to apply once for the privilege of playing special races.
Go to your account page

I think this link should work..

Scroll down to "Playable races", it should be listed.
pharse

Post by pharse »

There was a bug when we changed to the new homepage (design). I don't know if this has been fixed. But if you're sure you should be able to play that special race you can just contact a GM of your choice.
Mesha

Post by Mesha »

pharse wrote:There was a bug when we changed to the new homepage (design). I don't know if this has been fixed. But if you're sure you should be able to play that special race you can just contact a GM of your choice.
As pharse says. Bugged!
We cannot give people the rights to play special races directly any more. That part of the GMTool just does not work any more. :)

However! Nowadays we do it through tricks and scheming, to grant people their fairy, goblin or gnome. So don't be scared, and PM an application to GM of choice in case you want to play said races.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Mesha wrote:However! Nowadays we do it through tricks and scheming, to grant people their fairy, goblin or gnome.
Cars are a good way of doing that.