A Craftsman cry for Help.

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Manuelman

A Craftsman cry for Help.

Post by Manuelman »

Hi. First of all, I'm glad I found this game, for I love roleplaying and there are not many people in my town willing to play a book RPG or anything.

I've been very interested for the past 3 days in making a crafting character. One that mines his own ore, coal, and then smiths his own wares, mainly selling his work/ore to others to make profit.
Then I stumbled upon a annyoing fact. To make weapons I mainly need handles, and armor and stuff needs leather. Then I thought about finding a carpenter, so i could buy him/her/it the handles. I couldn't find any, so I decided to carve them myself. As I understand, making handles is a quite leveled up feature, so right now I have a smith that is chopping down trees and making plates to sell them in the tavern, fishing and cooking them to eat (buying food is too expensive) just to have some money for if my character needs new tools, and leveling up something I didn't wanted to because the only people I could find were warriors, mages, warrior mages, and, honestly, the most people online when i have logged in were like, 30.

My question is: are there any carpenters out there? or any beginning character that buys his equipment from a low budget/low price smith? Is it even worth making a crafting mate or should I just buy a sword and start killing goblings for the loot and then selling it for some copper coins?
Theory

Post by Theory »

You can get leather from pigs, which aren't to be considered dangerous.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

I suppose you are right in the fact that there might be a lack of carpenters (I think).

But you can use the Trading board to ask for items or services such as leather, handles or a carpenter.

Hope that helps.
Gregory Hardcast

Post by Gregory Hardcast »

The reason there is a lack of general crafters ig, in particular carpenters, tailors etc, is because the job isnt rewarding enough on its own. Thats a fault in the game, which i wish more attention would be paid to. Its much more profitable just to play a warrior, or whatever. As for leather, all smiths ive ever known just killed the pigs themselves to collect it, or you could buy large quantities in bulk from someone either ig or using the trading board.

And welcome to illarion.
Manuelman

Post by Manuelman »

It's not actually that there are no carpenters, specifically, but that there are not many craftsmen, or, if they are, there are not many interactions between them, because they can craft anything by themselves.

I'm not saying that there is no interaction between characters (wich, in fact, there is plenty, and I have already been able to see that) but economic interaction, as far as i've seen, so I was just wondering if there's really a point in making a pure smith/mining fellow, or even a pure multi/task craftsman, in order to get something out of the game. And if anybody is actually buying low price/average quality stuff from anybody.

For example, i can make Average Serinjah swords
The reason there is a lack of general crafters ig, in particular carpenters, tailors etc, is because the job isnt rewarding enough on its own. Thats a fault in the game, which i wish more attention would be paid to. Its much more profitable just to play a warrior, or whatever. As for leather, all smiths ive ever known just killed the pigs themselves to collect it, or you could buy large quantities in bulk from someone either ig or using the trading board.

And welcome to illarion.
That's exactly my point. I'm more than willing to make a, for example, mining only character, if there are smiths out there to buy my ore, or a tailoring/only character, if anybody is going to buy my shirts, or a smithing character only, if i can get ore from miners and sell wares to other players. Or a tough warrior, if there is a miner willing to pay for my protection against the goblins and stuff that are north of Troll's Bane.

Edit: But if it's not worth it, just tell me and I will gladly make a Kiking ass Battlemage (if I can) and beat the s*** out of mummies.
Gregory Hardcast

Ok, generally warrior/mage characters will get you more wealth, quicker (although it can take a long time to learn magic), but playing a crafter character has been successfully done by many people, in particular the smithing/miner character. Its perfectly possible for a character like that to both succeed and have interesting times interacting. However, you will find that little interaction ig occurs during 'training' (or pging). Rp aspects are really seperate from that, you wont have much fun (imo) if you focus on training your character no matter what type you choose.

In terms of smithing/miner characters, you may find these more enjoyable if you have them join goldburg (if its a dwarf, anyway), since its easier to gain raw materials there, and there are more fellow crafters around (i believe). Generally though, expect most interaction to occur away from your character's 'job'.
Manuelman

Post by Manuelman »

obviously, i don't expect to have somebody entering the workshop and telling me "Hello", because I would just tell him to f*** off in dwarven, :D

But, it would be nice to, for example, see somebody in the middle of town crying out loud "Swords, da best swords ya'll see around, fellas, come on, see..." for example. That would probably give more rp even than that of now. (bargaing, arguing over the price, a third person comes in...)
I only put myslef to train carpentery because i could find no ones (please, don't stick with the carpenter example, it's just an example). I pgmed because i couldn't rp (and got tired of asking for a carpenter)

By the way, it's not even posible to train carpentery on Noobia, or fishing, or mining, but that shouldn't be necessary, as long as you could find any of this craftsman and he/she/it could take you as your pupil (wich is anohter interesting rp situation).
Gregory Hardcast

My character is a smith, and hes taken on an apprentice in the past :wink: so yes there are rp options available. I also made a character a long while ago who was also a smith, who i had a great time having sell items and haggling prices. He used to wait where n00bs spawned and rip sell them overpriced goods :P for example. Anything to make money. Anyway it is possible, or at least it used to be, so keep on trying. :)
Manuelman

Post by Manuelman »

Ooook, then, wait for the new-comming master tailor halfling (or should it be cooker?)

I'll decide it later, hehehe.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

A sidenote from me: I will never understand why there is not a single true crafting guild in Illarion. Such a guild, where one character specializes in smithing, one in carpentry and others provide the raw materials while the profit is shared, can yield so much more than clicking on virtual items and creating even more virtual items.

It is intended that crafts are interconnected, but we'll tweak this in future. The main idea is that high end products need stuff from various crafts/ressources while basic stuff isn't that hard to make. So, instead of a constant level of dependency on other crafts, there'll be an increase while levelling up. On the other hand, we have another lever to make things harder to craft instead of just adding even more of the very same iron ingot to the needed materials. Example: An armor now needs e.g. 50 iron ingots and 10 leather. We could change this to e.g. 10 iron ingots, 5 leather, 3 clothes, 2 gold ingots and 1 merinium ingot :arrow: less total material, less annoying clicking, but more variety and dependency
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

If there is a change, please not more than 5 kind of materials to make an item. Since belt only has 6 slots, 1 for the item being worked on and 5 for materials still possible. Just a reminder...
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The script can be easily changed in the way that it takes items out of the bag. So that shouldn't be a limit.
ogerawa

Post by ogerawa »

Nice :D
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:A sidenote from me: I will never understand why there is not a single true crafting guild in Illarion. Such a guild, where one character specializes in smithing, one in carpentry and others provide the raw materials while the profit is shared, can yield so much more than clicking on virtual items and creating even more virtual items.
That used to work perfectally in commie Zzyathis. *sigh* I miss those times.
Olive

Post by Olive »

crafting guilds never really form because they are disallowed to, for lack of a better term

to make a guild you have to get permission from those who have a direct vested interest to NOT ALLOW a guild to form

any questions left on why one doesn't form now?
Keikan Hiru

Post by Keikan Hiru »

Yes. Plenty.
Manuelman

Post by Manuelman »

A crafting guild would, simply, be great. Actually, in late medieval, you couldn't carve, smith, mine... if you weren't in the right guild and you had the rank fo it. It would be a great for economy relations and it would cause many interesting rp situations. What if the smithing guild of Troll's Bane (if there were one) is annoyed because traders are bringing cheaper stuff from Goldburg? How would they pressure the Archduchess? Would they reach an agreement or would war wage upon them? And what about a freelance lumberjack who is selling cheaper wood to the carpenters? Would he be forced to join the lumberjack's guild, or banished?

Oh, that would just be amazing, and enjoyable.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

If there is a change, please not more than 5 kind of materials to make an item.
An upcoming update of a crafting process will introduce this change, so the requirement to place stuff in the belt will be dropped.

But nevertheless, 5 different items sounds like a reasonable number for a maximum.
Olive wrote:crafting guilds never really form because they are disallowed to
Sorry, but this is untrue. You may elaborate your point of view.

Manuelman has a point here. Illarion offers many opportunities for interesting RP. However, some are neglected or unused. Except for the Silverbrand dwarves, I never witnessed any real economic politics of a government.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Estralis Seborian wrote:Except for the Silverbrand dwarves, I never witnessed any real economic politics of a government.
That's because no other government has 'personal' resources which outsiders can not obtain.

If you put rare trees under lock and key in tol vanima, you can start with economics.
Magdha Tiefenerz

Post by Magdha Tiefenerz »

Manuelman wrote:A crafting guild would, simply, be great.
We had so many crafting guilds in the past, but they all "failed" due to the lack of active players. And that is a fundamental problem in Illarion. Compared to the number of active players we have way too many guilds. Check the "Guild"-board for the history if you want.
Olaf Tingvatn

Post by Olaf Tingvatn »

I have a carpenter/lumberjack character but, selling stuff and making a profit of it is extremely difficult..my char is almost better at fishing then carpentry:P thats why i play more with my warrior char, more fun and more profit, less tedious work and annoying "you phail" messages..
Manuelman

Post by Manuelman »

Magdha is right, i can walk half of the island without even meeting anybody
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Yes, you can walk around much of the island and find very few people. Then again, when walking in the wilderness, you shouldn't be expecting to find people. ;)
Manuelman

Post by Manuelman »

Yes, but what about the way between troll's bane and goldburg, for instance? There should be at least some traders between them, and I haven't found anyone yet.