Racial Language

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Aldan Vian

Racial Language

Post by Aldan Vian »

I know it is possible to learn the other languuages of races. Could somebody tell me where the different teaches are and if it is possible for a player to teach language? :?:
Gummizelle

Post by Gummizelle »

When you have a good rp-reason, you may ask a gm, he would give you the first skill-point.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

No. I am pretty sure not.
If a GM gives one char this skill, everyoneelse want it.

There is just one way to get this skill: think about a fair system how to teach languages. And that will not be via Player to Player, because that didn't work for langugaes.
Gummizelle

Post by Gummizelle »

I dont know, how that system could look like.

But what about this: An orc was slaved by humans for many, many years and always listened well, so he is able to speak some words in human language.

or: An elf lived for his whole life in a human town, thats why he is able to speak human, but not his own language.

I met a human, who spoke elven fluent.

EDIT: @ that cool llama under me:

Yeah, seems you are right. :wink:
I am only so sorry, that my stupid brain is not ables to create better examples than I did. :(
Last edited by Gummizelle on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Llama

Post by Llama »

Lets put it this way, to get the language you'd need an EXCEPTIONAL amount of roleplay.

So its not just a 'yeah, my orc/elf/character lived with orcs/elves/other races for a 100 years and learnt their language', but rather you need to roleplay someone actually teaching you.

Well that's what they had told me anyway ;)
Damien

Post by Damien »

When we had the learning method, we had the problem that almost everyone knew almost every languague after a short while.
It was obvious that with everyone speaking everything anyway, such languagues would not be needed anymore.
Jaren

Post by Jaren »

Perhaps there can be an intelligence requirement for learning another language similar to there being attribute requirements to learn magic?
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Jaren wrote:Perhaps there can be an intelligence requirement for learning another language similar to there being attribute requirements to learn magic?
There was. For orcish you needed 5 I think and for lizard 13.

But well...meh <.< did not work good.
Djironnyma

Post by Djironnyma »

in the end all mages or only a bit intelligent chars will speak all languages - so racial languages will lost there use...
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The only learnable language is ancient and this one is yet limited to the mages.

All other languages are learnable in theory but in favor of the difference of the different races, no character will learn a different racial language. At least if he does not have a impressive roleplay background for this.

Nitram
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Would be nice if a high intelligence char could choose an extra language at creation, or acquire one later in the game, after some rp (other than ancient, which is only used for magic anyways, or talk between mages)
Also, @ the topic of languages, it would be nice if humans actually started speaking human.. ;)

Common is NOT human:P
Lennier

Post by Lennier »

Common language is the default setting, because it is the language to comunicate with all other chars... Lots of new players would not be to speak with other, would loose their motivation, because they are not able/do not ready know to switch from race language to common.

To prevent such cases, common is a default. You can select youself by typing the right command to swicth into race language.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Thanks for the help.

So if you have a really good RP reason a GM could give you a bit of the language?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Its maybe possible along with a impressive roleplay background. But even then its not sure.
After all granding additional skills is pushing of a character. Even for language skills. And something like this is done really seldom.

Nitram
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Ok thanks