Cryptic languages in books?

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Cryptic languages in books?

Post by LifeWonder »

Hello.

I've went to the library and "used" the first bookcase I stumbled upon. Then I "used" the book that fell from it.. Now.. I was wondering, is this complete gibberish, or a highly interesting cryptic language I'll take an exquisite pleasure to decipher? I just want to make sure I don't spend hours decoding randomly tapped letters.. In other words, is this a worthy book, or is it just "test" book put there by scripters to see if the book script works? (A theory I just pulled out of my a-.. behind. :P)

Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

How would you uncode something?
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

Actually, your character doesn't know how to read library books. Its a skill... an odd one at that. Most people don't bother reading because it takes up too much of their characters ability to learn other things. *shrug* If you aren't a mage, then whatever is in the books probably isn't dire. If it is, you could find some one to read it to you, or perhaps it is laying around in the online library or something.
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

I think it's gibberish because your character doesn't have a sufficiently skilled enough "Library research" skill to read this book. It's too advanced for him/her. Try other books, I'm sure you'll find some are more legible :P. The only way to earn more skill is through read books.....a lot <.<
LifeWonder
Location: !! Don't send PMs/doves to this account. Send them to Karl !!

Post by LifeWonder »

I see, thanks for the answers!
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Lets just say that, your character is currently illiterate. Gotta love that open book graphic.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

Azuros wrote:I think it's gibberish because your character doesn't have a sufficiently skilled enough "Library research" skill to read this book. It's too advanced for him/her. Try other books, I'm sure you'll find some are more legible :P. The only way to earn more skill is through read books.....a lot <.<
*"Library Reserach"

:P