Rule confusion

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

darxzero
Location: Investigating the darkest recesses of human nature...

Rule confusion

Post by darxzero »

I am confused about rule 8, the rule concerning overplayed violence. Please can somebody twell me what this actually means. Thanks in advance.
Irania

Post by Irania »

#me rips the intestines from the body and ties then around the neck. The face turns blue! Oh NO! His head has exploded all over the townsquare! Bits of flesh and skull are scattered all along the street in one big gory mess.

That is very overplayed violence.
darxzero

Post by darxzero »

So, which violence is acceptable IG?
Irania

Post by Irania »

What do you have in mind?
darxzero

Post by darxzero »

Nothing particular, I was just wondering.
pharse

Post by pharse »

Hi and welcome to Illarion first of all ;)

I think this rule covers torture, rape, mutilation, excessive use of violence etc.

AFAIK things like torture can be roleplayed (of course in a rather "inoffensive" way), but always make sure that all participants / audience or whatever agree to it.

Or has this relaxing of the rules been removed?
darxzero

Post by darxzero »

AFAIK?
Llama

Post by Llama »

darxzero wrote:So, which violence is acceptable IG?
Just the usual #me hits him with the sword and chops his head off
#me runs the mummy through with his blade
#me punches the skeleton in the face, fragmenting the skull.

No mutilations, or bits of dead people thrown around town please.
Korm Kormsen

Post by Korm Kormsen »

wrong!
that would not be allowed.
that is forced RP, if you force somebody to live without a head.
Jupiter
Developer

Post by Jupiter »

Korm Kormsen wrote:
wrong!
that would not be allowed.
that is forced RP, if you force somebody to live without a head.
Allowed when your opponent is a monster
darxzero

Post by darxzero »

So, from what I understand, the violence that is acceptable is anything non mortal kombatesque, and torture when given explicit permission. Right?
Azuros

Post by Azuros »

darxzero wrote:torture when given explicit permission. Right?
Yes, and either in a place away from bystanders or with the permissions of those who -are- going to watch. (I believe, at least)
Tinya

Post by Tinya »

I would suggest if you are unsure, the best thing to do is to ask using ooc in game.
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

I think you simply use your common sense, something you can read without getting sick is allright, so its allright if you attempt to punch someones face/stomach etc. or you reply to such actions with something normal like "#me growls, bending his knee sligthly and holds his stomach" or something like that, but we don't need nor want "#me drives a sword trougth the mans hand, turning it in his flesh and ripping the blade out again"..guess you get what I mean.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

darxzero wrote:AFAIK?
As far as I know.
Deinarious

Post by Deinarious »

Once more Alex proves to be a source of useful knowledge.
Daelyn

Post by Daelyn »

Irania wrote:#me rips the intestines from the body and ties then around the neck. The face turns blue! Oh NO! His head has exploded all over the townsquare! Bits of flesh and skull are scattered all along the street in one big gory mess.

That is very overplayed violence.
Isn't that allowed? As long as the victim has agreed to it (so it isnt forced rp)?
I thought that rule only meant that even if a person is defenseless, you can not torture her etc. without the victim's PO agreeing? I thought it was suposed to cover situations with actions that are not forced rp, but will have a serious effects on the victim (physically or psychologically). However I was under the impression that you could do whatever with a monster? For example strangle a mummy with it's inners? lol
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

Mind that you aren't the only player.
Others who don't like it could hear you.
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

Well, I remember a RP I had about a year ago, where one of my characters got his stomach pierced by a sword. A mage then continuasly healed the wound while the warrior turned the sword around in the wound to let my char suffer like crap. No one complained and it was ok to me, too.
Noradur

Post by Noradur »

and where was your char? was it in a "public place?"
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

pharse wrote: I think this rule covers torture, rape, mutilation, excessive use of violence etc.
If what pharse mentioned is agreed by all participating players and (if any) all nearby players, and the thing is not done in "public" (ex. tavern), will that then be acceptable? I personally see nothing wrong then. Perhaps at most, ask for the age of other players.
Arien Edhel

Post by Arien Edhel »

I'm over eighteen but I don't wanna listen those bloody things at all.
Noradur

Post by Noradur »

Rape absolutly not, not even if there are no people and everyone agrees on it. If i ever experience that, played ingame, i will act appropiatley - NO EXCEPTIONS.

Some roleplay situation can contain torture, but you can do it with class, and style without massively brutally written excessivly violent methods.

(like tickling your victim with a birds feather)

Mutilation, is acceptable under same terms: Class, style, no overdoing.

The thing Taeryon mentioned is at the border but, as i said, only permitted if all characters are mature, no force RP, and in a neutral area, where there is no risk of disturbing people or affecting minors.
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

Arien Edhel wrote:I'm over eighteen but I don't wanna listen those bloody things at all.
That's why players' agreement is necessary.

@Nory: I understand but one thing. Force RP? I think in this case, there must be an extent of force RP (provided that the other player agrees on what is RPed). For example, if a character is tied, whatever is done on that character can be considered as Force RP no? Since they cannot react (or supposedly cannot).

Also, massively brutally and excessively violent methods can be ambiguous at times, there's no clear line between what is excessively violent or not. So GMs should give a warning if something like that is seen and not immediately banned.

(( Not that I have the intention of doing anything such any near :P ))
Noradur

Post by Noradur »

The agreement to avoid force rp starts at the point when you try to tie him down, in this case. Everything what happens after, lays within the "RP Limits".
So when a player doesn't want his char to be mutilated (which can be simply shaving his hair off, or giving him a branding) then there is no discussion, and others need to accept that.

Same for the torture.

Anything else?
Pellandria

Post by Pellandria »

Oh yes why don't we slash Sam into little pieces and forcefeed Eliza with them, serious who want's to even read such thing, I don't want to imagen people pulling someones entrails out, even if its just an npc, if your get on blood and gore go play manhunt.

Oh and in Illarion we only have a few "lonely" places, where you can be absolutly sure noone bothers you, but even a new char on journey can walk up on you and then he or she must read these things.

I think the line is crossed when blood is spilled, I wouldn't actually care for some things like tie a char somewhere up or as nori said tickle him or something, but I don't think that someone wants to read how you rip his char apart.e.g.
"#me drives a sword trougth the mummys body, grinning as the creature hangs liveless on his steel" <- acceptable
"#me rams his sword into the mummy, blood and entrails gush out as the man turns his sword, he reaches up to repeadly punch the head of the creature, chuckling as its eyes explode like raw eggs....."<- uh no..please.
Noradur

Post by Noradur »

agreed
Taeryon Silverlight

Post by Taeryon Silverlight »

Das war noch auf der alten Karte direkt vorm Stadttor von Bane.
Noradur

Post by Noradur »

dann sei froh das dich niemand erwischt hat... jetzt weißt du das es verboten ist.
Cliu Beothach

Post by Cliu Beothach »

Arien Edhel wrote:I'm over eighteen but I don't wanna listen those bloody things at all.
I don't want to listen to a lot of things, but they get shoved down my ears all the time.
Oh yes why don't we slash Sam into little pieces and forcefeed Eliza with them, serious who want's to even read such thing, I don't want to imagen people pulling someones entrails out, even if its just an npc, if your get on blood and gore go play manhunt.
If manhunt were a gory game, then your suggestion might be fitting.
"#me rams his sword into the mummy, blood and entrails gush out as the man turns his sword, he reaches up to repeadly punch the head of the creature, chuckling as its eyes explode like raw eggs....."<- uh no..please.
Failed

...Brer rapes himself each night. Shall I be banned?