Items without visible quality-determinator

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Mr. Cromwell

Items without visible quality-determinator

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

I'm just lost with this.

When you have an item, the description usually goes liket his.
Quality-Condition-Itemname
Good used longsword

Recently I have aquired some items where the first description is completely missing.
Empty-Condition-Itemname
Brand new longsword

Is this intentional, if so - Why? I first assumed that this simply ment that the item was of "average" quality, but found it unlikely as some similiar items are described as "Average-X-X" and others simply as "Nothing-X-X". Is there any way of knowing the actual quality of the item? How will these react when the "reparing" of items is introduced?
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

if it has no description, its garrenteed to be average, if it has the description "average" , then thats your char not knowing what it really is.
Mr. Cromwell

Post by Mr. Cromwell »

Oh, nice.
Thanks a lot.
Gro'bul

Post by Gro'bul »

Retlak wrote:if it has no description, its garrenteed to be average, if it has the description "average" , then thats your char not knowing what it really is.
This is wrong. Some people still don't understand that your character can't accurately asses a items quality without being good at that craft. For rings you need to be a good goldsmith, iron items a good blacksmith, wooden items a good carpenter, and so on. No "quality" description denotes the "normal" quality. you have (at least on smithed items): awful, very bad, bad, average, normal, good, quite good, very good, excellent

As Tommy boy would say "Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will."
Retlak

Post by Retlak »

Why would someone mark a turd "Guaranteed"..

Or even take a dump in a box.. :?
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

Gro'bul said:
This is wrong. Some people still don't understand that your character can't accurately asses a items quality without being good at that craft.

But when you get an item that you can't determine, if you make something and can't determine what it is, would that mean someone else who is good at that will be able to see it as it really is? So they will see something different then you?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

I fear you are wrong Gro'bul.

If you don't see the quality your character think its average.

The effect of the skill of the craft, the item is made with, is that you get a wrong quality or condition.

So your items is maybe good and new, but your character thinks its very good and brand new. So you see "very good, brand new sword of pwnage"

Nitram
Ku 'Agor
Location: LOL PANCAKES - "Ich möchte ein paar wirklich gute Pfannkuchen."

Post by Ku 'Agor »

Cant we just go back to infa-last all-average weapons like in the good old days?
Llama

Post by Llama »

WHY do we need such a system?

Seriously...

So people have a chance to cheat on you? :)
Hermie

Post by Hermie »

Realism, not reality, I guess.

Still it does make a game more complicated, lol.
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

i had at first a scraped emerald ring and then after a few more levels in goldsmithing it now shows as an awful scraped emerald ring.
Wyrda

Post by Wyrda »

okay last night me and 3 others were looking at items and we all saw them differently, some saw good, some average and some bad. Now my question is, is the effect of the item based on what you see or what most others see? if you see bad and everyone else sees good will it effect you like a good item would or like a bad item would?
Ganon Harper

Post by Ganon Harper »

perception perhaps?
Skaalib Drurr

Post by Skaalib Drurr »

It would act as what it really is. From what the general impression seems to be, the higher your skill, the more accurate your inspections are.
Poots

Post by Poots »

I have a question

let's say a ring for example is average, and you suck at goldsmithing and your blind or something. Would it appear to you to be really good or really bad? or is it random?
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Random