Yet another newbie.

A place to ask beginner questions to be answered by other players. / Ein Platz für Anfängerfragen, die von anderen Spielern beantwortet werden.

Moderator: Gamemasters

Moirear Sian

Yet another newbie.

Post by Moirear Sian »

Hi there!

I just signed up yesterday, so I'm waiting for authorization at the time being. And being the little ol' RPer that I am, my fingers are already itchy to write.

I was wondering about the RP forum - is it appropriate to post an introduction to the to-be character there, or should I wait for approval to the actual game first?

It's quite reassuring to read in the introductions that this game focuses on RPing and... RPing. I'm looking forward to playing with y'all. Top o' the morning to ya. :)
Sskakzk'krr

Post by Sskakzk'krr »

Edited by Alatar (DB Reset)
Forum Account Compromised!
Last edited by Sskakzk'krr on Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

Ask yourself a question:

"Why waste my great character background on a boardstory, where no character can participate or get usefull informations about my char, when I could tell in instead with a mug o'ale in the local tavern?"
Kasume

Post by Kasume »

Because no one hardly goes to the Tavern... :roll:
Sskakzk'krr

Post by Sskakzk'krr »

Last edited by Sskakzk'krr on Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

Last time I was in the tavern (not long ago) it was filled, Kasume.
Of course, nobody of these lazy dwarvens showed up and sold some wine, but its thier lost profit.

Tsthihssth, of course you are right, but then I ask myself:
'Why should I bother to write it?'

Most arrivals look like (see Offtopic - repeative stories):

-Ship arrives in harbour
-Single passanger lands
-Ship sails on

A totaly action-only-posting is quite useless for other readers and will end unnoticed in the deeps of the RPG section.
I dont want to discrourage anyone to stop writing them, but arrival postings are the most un-interactive ones for other players.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Alright, thanks to one and all.

I guess I'm going to go post a short pre-arrival story, and then it's off to the tavern. :)

But before I go blindly do that (and since I'm waiting for approval anyway):
Are there any restrictions in general towards writing a background and introduction? For example, I simply made up the name and human locale of Hillsgrant, where Sian would originally come from. Would it be inappropriate to work with these mechanics, or do I have to go for detailed in-game information concerning in-game geography, etc.? If there are any restrictions here, I haven't noticed them yet anywhere, and I still haven't found anything close to a world map (if anything, I found some dead links here in the forum to maps). Concluding, I'm from the pen'n'paper area of RPGs, so I'm still totally clueless about the backbone world of the game. I've already written a nifty introduction, and it's quite simple in content, however explains a whole deal of the character in its context - but I'm far from feeling sure if it fits into the given scenario.

A few things I'd like to clarify:
- Are alignment and creatures methodically bound to eachother by the scenario? In other words, are humans necessarily good, and orcs necessarily bad, or are there shades of every alignment in every type of creature? Is the gaming world "black and white", or is it "semi-realistic" in this sense? I gathered from the rules (and the actual game's concept) that it's more likely to be the latter, but I'm still not sure.
- Closely following the first point, would it be likely that a certain band of soldiers are actually robbers and thieves under the guise of the law, and they lay ambushes and rob the innocent? The introduction would involve besaid band of people, so I was wondering if this was appropriate or not.
- What kind of landscape surrounds Troll's Bane? Is it likely to rain there, or am I even thinking in the wrong direction by assuming Troll's Bane is above water level and in temperate climate? This kind of information plays an important role in the introduction.
- Are horses the general animal for riding, or is Illarion home to different, exotic animals for the average rider?
- I'm a native English and also a semi-native German speaker. Is it ok to post the intro in both languages in the same post? And while we're at it, is there any preference to the language on these forums in general?

Am I missing something or is it simply as "open"/"non-restrictive" as I suspect?
Sskakzk'krr

Post by Sskakzk'krr »

Last edited by Sskakzk'krr on Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

And Darlok: I can't promise it, but I am taken to believe my introduction would invite for some interesting interaction when it's finished and posted. :)
Sskakzk'krr

Post by Sskakzk'krr »

Last edited by Sskakzk'krr on Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Darlok

Post by Darlok »

Tsthihssth,
the main problem with board based stories is, that it "steals" the roleplay of the actual game.
A doubble sided sword.
The less interactive or intressting you made your post the more you can actualy do in the game.
The more interactive and intressting you write your storie, the more likely you will be unable to reproduce it in the game.

Such a nasty trap.

Moirear Sian,
the best ressource for the Illarion background is:
www.moonsilver.de

- I consider that each race has a basic alligment. Humans more neutral with the possibility to develop in every direction.
Orcs with the strong tendency to delveleop towards chaos, with little possiblitiy to reach more than a neutral alligment.

However you will allways encounter "special" representants of any race that stubbornly claim to be something "unnatural" for thier race.

- Looks fine to me, has been done already if my memory does not fail me.

- The game engine shows only flat land right now.
But we have everything ranging from high mountains in the north, deep forrests in the west and south, to a desert in the east.
Moonsilver has a map of the whole world, I belive.

- There are no horses , but try to ride a sheep or pig if you like.

- You can speak every language you want. Enligsh is commonly understood amog the players and since its a german game you will always find many german speaking players arround.
Moirear Sian

Post by Moirear Sian »

Thanks again and a ton for all the advice and info.
Hope to see you all around in the game. :)