Scourge of the covetous

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Zalkani

Scourge of the covetous

Post by Zalkani »

In the dead of night a weary, hooded figure tacks a parchment to the Town gates.

Officials of Bane,

Earlier today I happened upon a merchant encampment not far east of the Town on the path to Varshikar. Alarmingly the two men, a woman, and young lad around the remnants of a campfire were all dead. They did not appear to have met a violent end, although their most valuable stock had apparently been taken with empty sacks and goods strewn across the area. Their blackened faces, swollen with hideous boils, and blood dried upon their lips made for a sickening sight though. I gave them as respectful a burial as I could manage under an old oak before burning all that remained of their camp.

Dutifully yours,
Z
Achae Eanstray

Re: Scourge of the covetous

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Part of a diary found days later...

Page 1: I never tell anyone my name..it is bad luck, so most know me as Susan, Kate, Kat, Lynn or a few other names. There is definitely coin to be had, it was just a matter of figuring out how. Selling the poison potions was much easier but I should get the hang of thievery soon enough. I can't help it if the first botched attempt was stopped by that woman... what was her name.. Gemma or something. If she hadn't seen, Guy may have never noticed. Those two in the library though, they appeared to be looking at a few objects closely and behind a pillar was the perfect place to listen in on their conversation! Between coughs, that old man called Gramps kept talking about shiney objects and the boy Charles, or was it Charlie.. just kept holding one up after the other. Gramps looked a little pale and sickly but he managed to pull some nice things from the rubble. Well, even with this little cough I managed to catch from this Gramps, it was worth grabbing and running with these jewels. I can sell them for a tidy sum including those rifled from the heavy bags of those dead merchants I followed when they left town. Strange sickness they seemed to die of, but the pickings were easy. Since they caught me in one town, it may be best to go to another, I guess I'll follow the signs north. If only this cough would go away yet it seems to have gotten worse and my throat is so dry. I tried to get just a little water from a fountain in the town but had to spit it back out. A small bite of a tangerine just made me throw up, at least it was inside a depot so no one should catch on I was around. I'll sleep tonight in this hidden place and for sure will feel better tomorrow and ready to sell these treasures.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Page 2 has some ink splotches on it and is written with less assurance, the lettering shaky and not as neat.

I waited until it was dark and all quiet and went to the fountain again. The water was cool bathing my face in it but still I couldn't drink anything. Hopefully I managed to clean up most of the vomit using my hands to scoop up the water and throw on it. These boils on my hands and arms look suspiciously like those of the merchants that died the other day. I am hoping I didn't catch what they had. My cough has made it difficult to hide without someone finding me so I have had to move further from the town. I saw one man walk by carrying this elfess toward the direction of the cross, but no one else, and I don't think he heard my coughing.. he looked too worried and involved in what he was doing.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Most of the parchments to the diary seem to be ruined having some kind of yellow substance on them. There is one last page only partially preserved:

I can't drink anyth......

This diary happened to be seen behind the pig pen by a wandering elf.. no telling where it wound up yet somehow the pages were finally pinned for all to read. Hopefully after a thorough cleaning.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Tonight a quite agitated Darik Axtschwinger enters the Fluffy Sheep. He downs three beer before telling a eerie story:

Earlier that day, he says, he was in the Kumdah desert hunting worms when he got thirsty and wandered to Varshikar to drink some water and relax in the shadow. As he wandered past the first fountain near the teleporter he notices a small human female laying beside it. When he examines her more closely he notices that the woman has boils all over her body and some have popped open oozing a yellow liquid, her lips are blue almost blackened and eyes almost closed. She holds two ancient relics in her hands one of which dangles in the fountain. Darik jumps back and calls out at the woman:

"Eh! What's wron' with ya?!"

He notices that the woman now barely breaths, the boils are popping open even with her hand in the fountain. Then with a sudden last gasp she quite breathing altogether dropping the relics she carries. Scared by the view the dwarf doesn't even think about picking the relicts up. He runs into the town of Varshikar and soon later returns with Djironnyma and one of his companions. They burn the corpse and nail the well down.

Ein ziemlich verstörter Darik Axtschwinger betritt an diesem Abend die Fluffy Sheep Taverne. Nach drei Bieren rückt er mit seiner Geschichte raus:

Er war, wie er sagt, in der Kumdah-Wüste um Würmer zu jagen, als er durstig wurde und nach Varshikar wanderte um dort etwas zu trinken und sich im Schatten zu erholen. Als er sich dem ersten Brunnen nahe dem Teleporter nährte bemerkte er einen kleine Menschenfrau die neben dem Brunnen lag. Bei nährer Betrachtung bemerkte er Beulen die sich über ihren ganzen Körper ausgebreitet hatten. Einige davon waren aufgeplatzt und eine gelbe Flüssigkeit lief heraus. Die Lippen der Frau waren dunkelblau, fast schwarz und die Augen geschlossen. In ihren Händen hielt sie zwei Relikte, von denen eines halb im Brunnen hing. Darik sprang einen Schritt zurück und rief ihr zu:

"Eh! Wat is' los mit dir?!"

Er bemerkte, dass die Frau nur noch sehr schwach atmete und immer mehr der abartigen Blasen platzten auf und vergoßen ihren stinkenden gelblichen Inhalt teilweise in den Brunnen. Entsetzt von dem Anblick lief Darik in die Stadt Varshikar ohne auch nur darüber nachzudenken die beiden Relikte, die der Frau inzwischen aus der Hand gerutscht waren, mitzunehmen. Nur wenige Momente später kehrte er mit Djironnyma und einem weiteren Menschen zurück. Diese verbrannten die Leiche und nagelten den Brunnen danach zu.