Petition to Have Athian Banned from Troll’s Bane

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Uhuru

Petition to Have Athian Banned from Troll’s Bane

Post by Uhuru »

*A large parchment is tacked up to the smithy wall*
Citizens of Troll’s Bane, we have put up with Athian for long enough. It is time he is permanently banned. I put forth this petition to force our government to do something and do it now. Please sign your names if you are in agreement.

Tonight, Athian attacked our guard member, Joram form saying what was on his mind, sending Joram to the cross over words. Yes, words!

I would include in this petition, an inclusion for Athian’s accomplice, Orren, as both Athian and Orren sent myself and Guard Pierre to the cross as we were trying to apprehend Athian to hold for judgment on sending Joram to the cross. We were unarmed, both of us when Athian attacked.

Please good people of Troll’s Bane. Ban together on this if you see it fitting to do so. Force our government to take action against Athian and his accomplice now! We have waited long enough! How much longer must we withstand Athian’s abuse and harassment?

~Uhuru~
Athian

Re: Petition to Have Athian Banned from Troll’s Bane

Post by Athian »

A long message is pinned to the bottom of the parchment

Frankly Joram is an idiot who on two many occasions, even on the very first day he met me has behaved in an insulting and accusing manner. Many many times I have warned him about this way of speaking, his incessant way of jumping to conclusions and his tactless way of accusing me of misdeeds i'm not involved in. It wasn't you Uhuru who got Mirelle to the stockade, all you could do was forcibly push her about. The lizard who protested your actions did nothing more then protest verbally and yet Joram was striking him with a sword until I stopped him myself, while you stood there looking on.. Joram admitted in the moments he was attempting to kill the lizard that he had no idea what was actually going on. He was simply chasing and hitting the first thing his eyes laid sight on without any forethought. It wasn't Joram who talked that lizard down in the end it was me.

For all this what do I get? Joram apparently deciding i was in league with these criminals. I believe his exact words without any provocation on my part were "You could take the key off of my corpse easily, you seem to sympathize so much" to which Orren whom was my present company even commented on being a completely odd and out of context thing. he then went on to tell me how I was a sympathizer with the very people i just got under control though I had no need to. Frankly put that was the last strike for that man, he had been given chance after chance after chance, asked kindly, and forcefully and nothing at all worked. He described himself as "Strong willed and opinionated" but there is a difference between strong willed and opinionated and a clueless fool who only ever pays half attention to what goes on around him.

As to our little contest of strength, I consider someone trying to tie my person up sneakily from behind as an attack on my person. You had the option to ask me to come along quietly and I would have gladly gone along with you in fact. The simple fact is your actions were based on your need to appear like you have authority and your cowardice in dealing with me. Asking me to come along made you look weak though it was the sensible thing to do, so the only option was to have a show of force. Pierre may have been unarmed as he tired to tie be but that was because he had a rope in his hand, he soon abandoned that for his magic broadswords and you started punching me in my side as Evie continuously healed Pierre.

Orren attempted to stop the fighting the first time by paralyzing you all. I stopped attacking then, but when you didn't stop i continued.

Oxiana your fellow councilor asked you to stop, I stopped attacking then for several minutes and dealt with your blows by only defending myself; i cast no spell other then healing spell even with the two of you attacking me together. It took quite sometime before Pierre finally stopped attacking. You Uhuru did not stop striking me the entire time even when everyone else had stopped. Instead you called for swords from a bystander so you could keep fighting and tried to take my back, continuing to strike me as Pierre tried to tie me up yet twice more...

I got fed up and yes i knocked you down, yes i knocked Pierre down as well. You fell when somehow even after being felled you rose to your feet and came at me again even after i spared you a final blow. Pierre was felled because had I not brought him down Evie would have simply perpetuated the conflict even more endlessly. Evie began to cast her offensive magic at myself regardless, though it did her no good and with a helping hand from Orren we were able to bring her down without needing to send her to the cross as well, though quite easily that could have happened as well.

Let me tell you something Uhuru and Citizens of bane all together. I'm exhausted, I do my very best to remain calm, unoffensive and follow the rules of your city. For days, weeks even I have swallowed indignant actions unwarranted slights and even assisted the lot of you when I was asked to. Yet somehow people like you Uhuru seem to deem me as something of a joke whose patience and reserve can be tested at a whim, because in the end I won't do anything other then become a little cross. I can only theorize that somehow kindness only earns a lack of respect, you treat life as if its some kind of game where you can't possibly lose. Well today you lost, and if you or anyone in bane ever condescends to me after i've asked you many, many times to stop, if you ever raise a weapon at me for any reason ever again, if ever you try to restrain me without my permission then I promise you I won't hold back next time.

Athian Corulas
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Bottom line... Athian is trying to justify his attack on a MUCH weaker apponent for hurting him with WORDS! Yes, words.

Athian, you broke the law. Face it. You sent three people to the cross because you felt like it. Nothing more.

Now leave Bane quietly and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

~Uhuru~
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Laughs so hard he chokes on his beer as he reads the board. Then feeling a good buzz he adds a note to the bottom of a parchment.

Aint you learned by now mage? It is against the law to smack a bug in Trollsbane.

To all you others. If you pull on a panthers tail, it will likely turn and scratch you.

As to the suggested ban. I have always been against permanent bans. Most governments in Trollsbane hardly last more than a few years. Why should a ban last longer?

Hew Keenaxe
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Hew Keenaxe wrote:Laughs so hard he chokes on his beer as he reads the board. Then feeling a good buzz he adds a note to the bottom of a parchment.

Aint you learned by now mage? It is against the law to smack a bug in Trollsbane.

To all you others. If you pull on a panthers tail, it will likely turn and scratch you.

As to the suggested ban. I have always been against permanent bans. Most governments in Trollsbane hardly last more than a few years. Why should a ban last longer?

Hew Keenaxe
Good point Hew... what would you suggest instead? Should Athian be put to work in the mines?

~Uhuru~
Pierre Francois

Post by Pierre Francois »

Fact 1: You assaulted a guard and then sent him to the cross.
This alone means the guard is by law allowed to restrain you and take you into custody for the length of the investigation. Note the last word....investigation....which there would have been.

Fact 2. I spoke to you before attempting to tie your hands.
This is the same course of action I would take with any who confessed to sending a guard to the cross....whether they be powerful or weak. A crime concerning sending one to the cross means the accused loses the right to such pleasantries as "please follow me" or "would you come to the guardhouse for some questions?" And lets be reasonable Athian, a guard who is forced to deal with someone as powerful as you must use an opportunity such as having your back turned to his advantage.

Fact 3: You are welcome to leave Trollsbane and it's "disrespect" at any time. Which given your education and stature in the community I would think you above petty insults. Unfortunately you did not walk away. You assaulted Joram. The town has laws, should you decide to visit the town you are under the protection and the punishment of those laws.

This was not a personal or even unlawful attack. This was simply a guard doing his job, and by your actions you showed your lack of respect for the Town of Trollsbane and its citizens. I will not discuss this further on the boards. I am sure the Judge, whose job is to determine the merit of such cases, will be requesting a trial at which time both sides will be heard.

Pierre Francois
Last edited by Pierre Francois on Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hew Keenaxe

Post by Hew Keenaxe »

Good Idea Uhuru. Except I think he should have to make ME some bricks.

Hew Keenaxe

After signing his name, he shoulders a shovel a heads for the swamps grumbling about bricks
Garath

Post by Garath »

Joram reads the words carefully and scribbles a note in an unpracticed hand.

"Did you already see I had stopped attacking the lizard? That I took no offensive action besides following it around to keep it in sight? I was just keeping an eye on what was going on, yet you kept harrassing me. And yes, I was insulting to you, a very long time ago, as you were insulting to me, taking one look and telling me I was nothing special as if I were a cow. Since then I have shown you respect commenting only on the fact that you seemed arrogant to me, which you have proven enough it seems. when I arrived, I did not attack on sight. I attacked on seeing someone tampering with the bonds. I stopped when that stopped."

There seem to be more words added to the note but they are made illegible.

"that is all for now."

- Joram
Oxi

Post by Oxi »

Uhuru, as you of all people should know having ratified the post, Bane has a Judge - It is he who will determine Athian's guilt and any punishment resulting from that as we decreed in the Town articles.

I am sure the Judge will appreciate the prompt delivery of so many witness statements but perhaps they would have been best sent privately for his perusal.

Regards
Oxi
Lia

Post by Lia »

If Athian's doings bothered you that much, why do you only start taking action NOW?

He did what he liked for years already and he often just uses the might of his magic to solve problems.
But you have made mistakes as well. You only react when it affects your friends or yourself, if it hits a stranger you just don't care.

I don't want to come to Athian's defense, of course not, and I also don't expect he'll get away without a punishment.

All I want is that you think about it.

Uhuru, you wrote that note full of rage, and rage never is a good advisor.

There's a lot that has to change in Bane. The council and the guard should be there for EVERY citizen and guest.
Do not prefer people because they're your friends or family.

Listen to the accused. And I really mean, listen.
Only if you really open your eyes and ears and put everyone on the same level, you can judge just.

Speak your sentence by law and order. Let justice prevail.
But think about my words.

In this sense, may Findari protect your paths.
~Liasany
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Kyre reads over each individual parchment carefully, sometimes twice before pointing her ungloved hand toward an empty parchment watching the red lettering appear.

Citizens of Trolls Bane,
I wish to assure you that the remaining counselors and town officials are watching the events closely and listening to every word spoken, along with looking at each parchment sent for our perusal. Be assured that the laws of Trolls Bane will be adhered to as Oxiana so eloquently pointed out. I have placed a copy of these laws to remind everyone of their importance.
Kyre

Moving to the town official laws, Kyre now holds out her entire hand spreading the red nailed bejeweled fingers wide, as a copy of the laws in very small writing appear under her parchment. Thoughtfully turning from the board, she sighs shaking her head a slight sadness now to her expression.

(( http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =5&t=36412 ))
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

*Reads the notes and writes her reply with a measured hand*

Sure, the laws are there, and yet, Athian walks free. How many laws has he broken over the years Oxi? How many judges has he faced? Why has he been allowed to roam Bane's streets free?

Citizens, do not cower in fear any longer! United, we are stronger. Had we had more help, it would have been Athian going to the cross and not me and Pierre. We can do it if you are willing to learn. Mages can be beaten if you are willing to learn how. Athian taught me himself. Just because a mage chooses to turn on someone, doesn't mean we can't beat him. We have numbers on our side. He is but a single man.

Councilors, do bring him before the judge. Nothing would please me more. Citizens, sign my petition, force our government to do something. Anything!

~Uhuru~
Athian

Post by Athian »

After refusing to even attempt the peaceful route when trying to deal with me next you petition others to help you take vengeance...but you are no longer a councillor, should you be risking the lives of your fellow citizens? They have done me no harm and I have done them no harm. Aside from yourself Pierre and Joram I don't think I've sent anyone to the cross in years. Lets face it you and your friends have been preparing a reason to try and take me down ever since my conflict with Raina long ago. All you want now is vengeance for your family, you don't care about the law, it's just a banner by which you choose to hide your ugly intentions.

I even gave you the chance to retire Uhuru after you took a knee the first time. You rose yourself nearly dead as you were and rushed back into a fight. Your fall is your own fault. Don't try to increase the number of the involved so that you can breed bad feelings amongst other towns folk for me when i defend myself. Its a shameless and blunt tactic that even most children could see through.

Athian
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Joram did you no harm except say a few words. Please remember, this is all about him, not me.

~U~
Athian

Post by Athian »

If its all about him then why are you the one trying to make a posse? Joram isn't asking for any revenge, he's not trying to rally people to fight and die for him...

Why was it even when he asked for the whole of the fighting to stop that evening, when he said that the conflict was not what he wanted to happen that you paid his words no heed then? Was it about him then too?

It's not about him Uhuru, it's about you and your 'family' the only people that matter to you. That you use Joram now as a figurehead is just as bad. If you want to come after me then come, don't drag others into your fight.

Athian
Garath

Post by Garath »

That I'm not shouting for revenge does not mean I think you had any reason other than being irritated with me to do as you did, which is no justification at all. As an aside, you said an hour or so ago in Bane that you wanted to explain some things to me. If it is that I should do as you say when you say it, don't bother. If it is that I shouldn't be honest to you and simply admit that you have the warmest and most gentle personality in the entire realm and beyond, don't bother. If it is an attempt to explain me how I have offended you other than those two things, I'm willing to listen.

I do not feel that not liking you personally and not hiding it, or not obeying your orders, is enough reason.

- Joram
Athian

Post by Athian »

Actually i wouldn't mind meeting with you shortly mister Joram. I'll explain to you everything in a way you can understand it.

Athian
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

I would like to remind the citizens that vigilante justice isn't excused in the town by any officials, especially me. Of course I'm not implying that is directly what's being stirred here but the course of these posts require me to at least put out that warning.

I don't personally consider petitions a very just way of deciding who is to be banned as it can be directed at pretty much anyone. Athian is well aware that he has broken laws and admits to them but I doubt that a permanent ban is in place. I cannot speak for the Judge but I'm certain that there will be consequences.

~~ Guard Captain S'rrt K'shire
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

*Writes another note at the bottom of the parchment in big bold letters*

When will Athian be held accountable?
What has been done to this end to date?
What specific steps if any?
The public has a right to know.
Why has absolutely nothing been posted on the guard board?
~Uhuru~
Oxi

Post by Oxi »

Thank you for your continued concern Uhuru.

As you are perfectly aware having ratified the relevant articles it is procedure to first collect witness statements from all relevant parties. These will then be sent on to the Judge to enable him to make an immediate decision or to call a trial to hear further evidence.

As it stands I have received statements from Joram and Athian as I requested immediately following the incident. I understand they have also provided statements to S'rrt. If you or any other party that wishes to have not yet submitted a statement I suggest you do as soon as convenient so the case can be expedited.

I see little reason to cover the Town walls with any further parchments. I am sure the Judge will ensure any relevant notices are put up regarding the case as and when appropriate.

Kind regards
Oxi
Uhuru

Post by Uhuru »

Oxi wrote:Thank you for your continued concern Uhuru.

As you are perfectly aware having ratified the relevant articles it is procedure to first collect witness statements from all relevant parties. These will then be sent on to the Judge to enable him to make an immediate decision or to call a trial to hear further evidence.

As it stands I have received statements from Joram and Athian as I requested immediately following the incident. I understand they have also provided statements to S'rrt. If you or any other party that wishes to have not yet submitted a statement I suggest you do as soon as convenient so the case can be expedited.

I see little reason to cover the Town walls with any further parchments. I am sure the Judge will ensure any relevant notices are put up regarding the case as and when appropriate.

Kind regards
Oxi
Oxi,
I am aware of the articles. Why is the council involved in the investigation? Why are statements provided to both council and guard?

Having been one of the parties sent to the cross, I would think I would have been sought out for a statement. It is not reasonable to assume that citizens will take the necessary steps needed in an investigation. Waiting for them to come forward is a bit foolhardy and will greatly delay any resolution in any case. This is why I am going to continue to post requests for information until I see, not a resolution, but a reasonable and just resolution, according to Bane law.

~Uhuru~
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

Uhuru, I felt it was necessary for me to hold out on requesting the testimonies from you and the rest of the parties on your side because of the impression of trauma I got from you. I have sent requests to all of the parties by now, including you. The matter will be settled soon enough.

Oxi

Post by Oxi »

Uhuru,

I asked for Joram and Athian to send statements to me initially as it was in the immediate aftermath of the incident and S'rrt at that time would not have even been aware of the problem. It was merely an attempt to accelerate proceedings while the incident was still fresh in their minds and to ensure no evidence was lost. You know full well as a former Council member we are often sent statements about all sorts of things so I fail to see what you hope to achieve by making an issue of it in this instance.

Regards
Oxi
Leva Beliu

Dung, dung, any man, here?

Post by Leva Beliu »

As usually, Uhuru, most of men, they will drown you under their legalese, their waffling language. They are down to heart racists and sexists, they see us as a race (a sexy one, as that) to plunder and... (you know what).
None too many that could save the others!
I must admit that there were a few correct ones. Hrmmm...

You will not ever have any justice through the board, believe me.
I counsel that we take action as women, as a group of women, to help each other.
Yours truly
Leva Beliu
Copper Dragon

Post by Copper Dragon »

A hooded and masked person slips to the board and reads the postings, remaining in the shadows if any draw near. With a gloved hand a message is written and posted.

I have read the writings and if you do not mind, I have questions. First, uhuru why is it foolhardy to think that parties involved in a conflict would not present a statement with their preception of events unless they simply do not wish to press the matter further? Next, would jorams behavior not fall under the minor offences C. disturbance as well as athians? I'm unsure whom said the first words so I refer to both equally. And lastly, while it is the judges job to decide punishments your outcry rings of a child trying to rally friends to deal with what you precieve as a bully. Someone can be respectful and still disagree with anothers behavior. As you brought up athians past deeds, I would ask how long ago were said events you are refering to? This is not a personal attack and please do not consider it one. It is simply my observations of what is written. As to athian striking out when some one tries to tie their hands, it is understandable. Again it comes down to respect both given and recieved. I my self would strike out if I was approached from behind and someone was trying to restrain myself. I'm not saying what he did was right, merely understandable. The postings also are unclear as to how the lizard is involved. It will be interesting to read the conclusion of the events and what the judge decides.

Also my thanks to councillor kyre for providing a reference for the town laws.
Jude Atelhier

Post by Jude Atelhier »

The chosen result should be scribed on the town notice boards(Guilds)

A life ban was decided not to be given and the punishment was made as best as was able to avoid any long winded fuss. To say something about these papers, they did have change the outcome we made but probably not the way those made it were hoping. It's real hard to take reports on any matter when you get them after one party shows a real obvious and personal hating to the other side, going so far as trying to assemble a lynch mob. The late testimonies of the second party coupled with these words here make it hard to tell whats true and what might have just been conspiracy, especially after they would have had so long to work up their stories in their favor.

Now I'm not calling anyone a liar in particular but as it stands there were already a lot differences in the reports I received all the witnesses. We had to lean towards the most immediate of the recollections against the ones that came weeks later. What's not question is that the fellah Athian did bring down three people, whether the guard Joram originally had it coming was beside the point. In some places matter's a insult and honor are solved through bloodshed but in bane we don't want that kind of doing. What we also don't want is to provide for bullies who hide behind the title of guard to go acting any way they please, Trollsbane has had enough corrupt guard folk to last a few lifetimes. To avoid both we decided ona compromise which is going to sting the guilty party but not empower the folks who instigated or exacerbated the trouble.

I'm hoping we won't have any troubles like this again any time soon

Felix Atelhier
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

I'm taking full blame on those late testimonies for it was not a case of negligence from the said parties, it was simply a matter of myself not having made that request soon enough. I held out on that request because it was hinted to me that it might be for the best to give those parties some time to recover from the incident before questioning them about it. They were all quite distraught and unfocused.

However when I compare the dates of the received testimonies from those parties with the date of my previous message on this board, specifically..
S'rrt wrote:I have sent requests to all of the parties by now, including you [Uhuru]. The matter will be settled soon enough.
.. it still took nearly two non-dwarven weeks for the testimonies to arrive, after which I immediately compiled them and sent them to the Judge.

Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

I have refrained from commenting but Felix and Srrt's comments are hilarious. In any other case i have gave testimony on i was approached by the guard in person to give my testimony not asked to write it by a message on the board i was simply waiting for that to happen again. oh and thank you Felix for you insinuation ever thing i did say was a lie and a contrived story, when no one but the ones i sent it too even know what i said. As for the insinuation that the guard was corrupt ...... All i can say is i pity you Felix the two guards in questioin that night are two of the most honorable men to ever walk on the isle. there has been alot of corruption in governments and guards.. they are NOT it but you sure seemed to say they were. *sighs* I am sure my comments will do nothing but prompt more angry comments.. why i have refrained from doing so til now but, some logic seemed to be needed posted.

Evie
S'rrt

Post by S'rrt »

Evie, due to the sheer number of testimonies and their length it was easier to ask for written statements. Had I, or any guard, written down all of the testimonies ourselves it would have taken considerably more time. I'm fairly certain that would have resulted in more agitation from the parties on your side.

Besides I have already taken the blame for the delay in your testimonies.

As for this notion that some guards are corrupt, I doubt I need to say how untrue it is. I'm very careful about the guards I choose and promote. Where I could easily take offence in Felix's insinuation, I prefer to look at it as genuine concern. Sure he wasn't there to see it nor may it read in the testimonies he received but it is nevertheless a genuine though hastily thought up concern.

Jude Atelhier

Post by Jude Atelhier »

Well I'm sorry to have upset so many but it is how it is, lemme just say something ta each of you, though you might not like what it is.

To mister S'rrt:

S'rrt you need to remember that you ain't as old a soul to this land as you think you are. You're fair new and ya don't know alot about the history of the town that your servin. I've been to the land far longer then most all of ya and when i say guards have the potential to become corrupt I mean just that. This doesn't always mean that someones bad, this simply means that they get into the habit of doin and saying things that don't get judged because they were "doin there job". You don't have any inkin to how often that happened in the past, how many folks have gotten hurt or killed for it. To keep stuff like that from happening again I plan to hold the guard to a standard as high or even higher then regular folk. Rather then being offended or saying it ain't possible mayhap's ya should think ta making a steadfast guideline by which yer underlings follow when workin rather then just letting em wing it and hoping everything goes right.

To miss Evie:

If I'm ta be the judge around here I'm not going to base any ruling on my personal feelings. I think its a good thing I don't know any of the parties too closely, I'd rather not be swayed into picking sides based upon who I like an who I don't. Miss Evie a do appreciate ya stickin up fer your friends but your very words like the words that started and sustained this parchment by your kin folk still hold with a heavy bias that favors those ya like. If ya think like that then there is no way that you could ever do the work of a judge because they'll always be a few folks who you'll never really look at and who you will always give the benefit of a doubt over others. A certainly don't think yer friends are honorable by some kinda default, all men can do wrong. Do a think yer all lying, mayhaps and mayhaps. What a cannot do is rule out the possibility that ya are, that kinda thinking would make me in your favor, and my job is not to please ya but to come up with a fair ruling. It's nothin personally against ya, but ya should already know that by now.

Felix Atelhier