Anticipation

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Irania

Anticipation

Post by Irania »

How long had it been since Quinasa had left Gobaith? Ten years?

No matter. Irania thought to herself. It will be like not a day has passed. Physically anyway... She runs a few fingers gingerly down her cheek noting the reality of her own thoughts. After what seemed like forever she finally dabs her quill into the ink and begins to write the words that seemed to be doing their best to elude her. Perhaps it was the nervousness of seeing her sister after having changed so in such a short period of time. In any case Irania does her best to inform Quinasa of her impending marriage and how much it would mean to have her there on the isle again. So the words began to flow and before long Irania had said her piece, appearing much less tense after the fact, and sends it whisking away with the wind on the wings of a dove.
Quinasa

Re: Anticipation

Post by Quinasa »

Quinasa slung her small pack over her shoulder and onto her back. After discussing Irania's upcoming nuptials with her husband, they decided it was best not to introduce their young daughter Andriel to Gobaith just yet (if at all). Being only 13, they felt she was simply not ready; that the island was no place for a child. Not for their child, anyway. Aristeaus would stay home with her, and 'play mommy' as he called it.

Quin shook her head, smiling, as she thought of her aging husband who just this morning tried to tie her apron around himself to prove he was perfectly capable of playing mommy, and failed miserably. She knew he was trying to make her feel less guilty about leaving them and that he was more than capable of taking care of their daughter. She was excited to see her sister again after almost a decade, and at the same time she felt anxious as if she were abandoning her family.

There was no road through the forest to their home, but just a simple foot path. As she tread the oft-used trail in the direction she knew the main road to be, Quinasa made a mental checklist of the things in her bag for the umpteenth time. Harp? Check. Coins? Check. Robes? Check. She wondered at her decision not to bring some form of weapon with her, but in the thirteen years she'd been away from Gobaith she hadn't needed one. Not once.

Poor Aristeaus, she thought again of her husband with a smile of resigned regret. Nothing to fight these last years. No trouble to get into, save making mischief with Andriel. His surroundings had changed, but the man was still the same. He had aged but kept his youthful charm. She was sure that if Andriel were to stay with Darrah and Arist had come with her, he would have dusted off his sword and set off with her as if he were still the vibrant young swordsman he was when they'd met. Though she did not see an old man when she looked at her husband, she knew he was starting to feel the years in a way she never would.

What a different world they'd left behind. What a different world she was going back to. Filled with both trepidation and delight, Quinasa quietly disappeared under the tall elm trees; her thoughts full of memories, wondering what the next few months would hold in store for her.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

Aristeaus had his arm resting about his daughter as they watched Quinasa board the ship bound for Gobaith, as she left sight his forced smile faltered briefly as he closed his eyes, the grip about Andriel tightening for but a moment as his breath steadied.
" Momma will be fine " spoke the young girl as she looked upto her father, and then with a playful nudge slide from his arm and ran down the docks to better watch her mothers ship depart.
" She will be fine " The man murmured to himself as he watched the ships elegant shape glide from the moorings, his hand raising in an unconscious gesture to gently straighten the brimmed hat which rest about his brow. " But will Gobaith survive? "

The evening found the man sitting in his favourite seat before the fire place, the heat covering him in a gentle, welcome embrace. Eyes closed his thoughts wandering as always to his wife, her beauty, her mind, her laughter and her..

The corner of his lips raise into a smile as his eyes open and rest upon dancing flames before him. Had it truly been 13 years since they had travelled together on Gobaith.. So long.. Yet for good reason. The smile faltered as he slowly stood and made his way towards the mantle. Gobaith, the land of opportunity and adventure.. More in truth the land which can take more from a man than is promised. A land built upon blood and death, with the gentle promise of redemption always laying just out of reach. The bitter thoughts slide through Aristeaus's mind as he reached out to glide his fingers across the length of a blade which hung above the fireplace, his touch was gentle as any lovers as he felt the shape of old runes beneath his fingers tip.
It had been years since he had lifted this blade, 13 years infact. Does it not speak loudly that since leaving that land he had no need for this tool. Why do you return Quin? Turning away the man made his way back to his chair, shoulders sagging briefly as he lowered himself into its welcoming depth. The years were truly catching him, could it be possible he was not as fast as he once was? Perish the thought. Closing his eyes once more he felt his thoughts slowly drift. Gobaith..

Quinasa standing outside the library, the look of innocence within her eyes as she tried to find her way about the isle. A beauty which would strike a man hard, i can still remember the dull ache in my heart when i first looked upon you.. The way my tongue seemed to twist itself into a knot every time i spoke to you. And of course there is Athian, my brother, he and i were opposites many would say.
Athian's passion lay with the arts of magic... and wearing dresses, not to mention those two stupid daggers he once kept and played with.. one white and one black, oh he did enjoy his dramatics. I imagine you still do.
The early days, the innocent days, the good days. The steel of my shield, its insignia held high as i took the weight of the fiery demons fury, the sparks flying from its battered length as the creature unleashed its fury.. It would not pass, it could not pass as i guarded that which was most precious to me. You Quin, always you were with me. So beautiful and so deadly, the length of your axe held high in defiance to those who would still you. And then there was you Athian, deadly energies coursing through your body as you called upon Cherga to aid in the banishment of the creatures before us. Why do my thoughts drift to these times.. the good times. Yet even the good times hold hard thoughts. You my love in my brothers arms.. Im not sure if he ever did forgive me.

He smiled briefly and stood, turning his back to the dying fire and heading towards the bed chamber.

Be careful my love, i worry for you.. Return safely to those who love you, those who need you..

Athian, you had better watch her. With you i trust my love and life..
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Walking into Troll's Bane from the east gate, Quinasa cast her eyes about. The town was certainly different; too different for her elven sensibilities. She wasn't sure where exactly to find Irania in the town that seemed to be larger than ever, but she figured that if anyone knew it would be Eliza. So into Eliza's shop she went. It was good to see her dear friend, to hear how her long-running business had fared over the years, and sure enough she knew right where Irania could be found. Quin bid the lizardess farewell with promises to return before departing back to the main land.

Seeing Irania for the first time in eight years was less stressful than Quinasa had expected it to be. She could see in her sister hardly any of the old anger and bitterness, not an ounce of the sadness that had enveloped her when Irania left her humble cottage to return to Gobaith. In fact, she seemed more like the girl she had been when first they met. More like her, and more grown up. It was startling how responsible Irania now seemed to be, and Quinasa was glad. The woman's eyes sparkled with intelligence and happiness. Quin couldn't wait to see her with Brer after all these years.

Seeing Athian for the first time in over 13 years was just as she'd expected it to be, and yet it still left her feeling a bit melancholy. There was no bitterness, no anger in his demeanor. There was simply indifference. She wondered why he even took the time to speak.

With nearly everyone she cared about either dead or gone, there was only one more soul she cared to see. That was Arcia. His frequent visits to see her and her family were always a joy. She was proud of the fine elf he had become, her impressionable Arcia grown into a strong-willed leader. She would travel to Tol Vanima to see him in the coming days.

As the sun sank low behind the trees, Quinasa made her way out of town and south into the forests she once tended. Her thoughts were of her daughter. She tried not to imagine her lovely Andriel flitting about under the trees of Gobaith, but it was an image that came to her anyway. It was somewhat of a relief to her that she and Aristeaus had moved away from the ever unsettled Gobaith. Andriel and Aristeaus were her world, and she wouldn't trade the safety of their little cottage in the woods for the troubled life this island offered its inhabitants. Not for a thousand gold pieces. No, not even her most cherished memories of her life here could diminish the sorrow she'd run from or the dangers she'd left behind. If it weren't for Irania, she likely would never return to these familiar forests and be happier for it. None of the happy memories were enough for her to return. Not now. Not for a very long time. She hoped that someday her sister would leave as she had, but she knew better than to do anything more than wish.

In the darkness, Quinasa picked a tree close to the winding river. She effortlessly climbed more than halfway to the top and nestled herself between the boughs of the great oak. With the spring breeze all around her, she thought of home. Thought of her garden, her beloved and her baby girl. She prayed to the gods that Arist wouldn't fret over her absence too much, and that Andriel would oft take his mind from his worries. She also prayed they wouldn't burn the house down, for when they put their heads together it was never a good outcome, and Quinasa felt like she sometimes had two children instead of one. She spent the whole night reveling in thoughts of home.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

With a swift tug Aristeaus hefted the blade from its long standing home above the mantle, The dark blue cloak billowed about the swordsman's frame as he turned sharply upon his heel bringing the long dormant steel to bare before him, its cold length catching the remaining light from the setting sun and setting it to gleam anew. As the swordsman's feet parted and settled his frame into a long practiced stance he murmered a single word of power, its syllables sending a deep shiver down the mans spine as a coldness seeped through his body and into the blade before him. For a moment there was nothing, then with a sound like a forge's first life the blade sprang into flames, the cold length seemed to catch a life of its own as the hungry flames spread upon its darkened length. It had been an age since the power had been called upon, yet in a time of need it still held as strong as he knew it would.

A playful laugh parted the mans lips as he buried the blade deeply into the fireplace and the wet timbers which rested within. The blade did it's work, the stubborn tinder took light bringing forth a further laugh from the swordsman's lips as he slide the blade free and raised it in a mock salute to his vanquished foe, then with a exagerated flourish he turned once more in an overly dramatic manner to find a small figure standing behind him, hands upon her hips and her mothers frown clear upon her face.

" Papa, Momma's going to kill you "
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

After the little ceremony in the library sanctuary, Quinasa packed up her things and said her goodbyes to her sister. It was a quiet, small ceremony, with no officiant but merely friends and family. Quinasa thought of her own wedding, how lovely it was to have their old friend Galim perform the ceremony for them. She was sad that Irania and Brer wouldn't have the same memory of taking their own vows, but being Irania's third marriage Quin thought maybe her sister didn't want to make a big deal about it.

With her bag packed, Quinasa walked down to the harbor. She sent word to Arcia, letting him know she would be arriving soon and staying for a few days before returning to the main land. She was eager to be off for home at last, but she dearly wanted to see Vanima and how Arcia was handling things as an Elder. He seemed surprised when she expressed how proud she was of him, but it was a sentiment that was a long time in coming. Being as wrapped up in her own life as she was the last few times he'd visited her and her family, she never really had the chance to tell him.

At the docks, she sat and let her bare feet dangle into the water. The boat would be arriving shortly, the harbor master said, so she contented herself to simply sit and pluck at the strings of her harp. Eyes closed, she let the lullaby flow out from her fingers and across the waves out into the sea.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Quinasa watched the island of Tol Vanima as it faded slowly behind the ship. She was glad to be leaving, ecstatic even. Her time on Vanima had been far more pleasant than any other time she'd visited. She often felt shunned amongst the elves of Tol Vanima, never at home with any of the elven kind she encountered anywhere on Gobaith. It was nice to feel welcome there, if only for a brief visit. The small elven isle was just as empty as she'd remembered. Oh, it seemed like it had been well cared for over the years, but there was little evidence of anyone actually living there. Very little at all.

Arcia was as good as his word, as usual. His quiet presence was a comfort to her, and his baking was far better than her own. He'd baked her several different kinds of pies and cakes for her journey home and they were packed safely away in her bag. Also wrapped in her bag was a precious pendant he'd made of gold and bluestone for Andriel. Quinasa just knew her daughter would be so pleased with such an unexpected gift, but hoped she wouldn't take it to mean more than it did. Quin never told Arcia, but Andriel had grown increasingly enamored of him over his past few visits to their little home. It was likely just a youthful attraction, and though she was sure Arcia had been aware of it during his last visit, he never gave the girl cause to think her feelings might some day be returned. That in itself was a relief to both Quin and Arist, as neither of them wanted their daughter to have any dreams of one day traveling to Gobaith.

As the island became nothing more than a shadow on the horizon Quinasa turned to look toward their destination. She knew it would be a few days yet, but she leaned against the rail and sighed in relief. Simply being near Gobaith was taxing on her nerves, and she was glad to be away; glad to be going back home.