The Future of Troll's Bane

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Fooser

The Future of Troll's Bane

Post by Fooser »

At the moment Troll's Bane has limited access to its tax funds. All building projects are on hold with little hope that they will resume in the near future. We are currently unable to use our own jail. These are the realistic limitations we have in the coming months that we will have to accept. The lack of tangible progress will probably reflect poorly on me, and that is fine. I wish the town could have a large guard and plenty of taxes to spread to around. I wish all would be able to see their goals of building a home come true. But this may not happen as soon as many would like. These limitations also mean I won't be able to do all that I promised. The Seahorse repairs have been delayed. I won't be able to help crafters much with limited funding. Even the promise not to tax land owners is under pressure. But why tax them on land they can't even currently build upon?

Since we cannot judge progress by pointing to a building we can only focus mostly on the less tangible things. These include running the guard, keeping the system functioning, stopping corruption, assisting those in need, and the bonds between citizens. This brings up yet another problem. Quite frequently in the past month there have been many personal squabbles between citizens and other citizens, or citizens and residents, or citizens and outsiders. These quarrels are based on political preferences, romance controversies, rumors, or just personal dislike. Almost everything the town has done whether it be a policy, a land decision, or a guard hiring, is met with problems stemming from these conflicts. So-and-so was rumored to be a former temple member, so-and-so slept with someone's husband, so-and-so insulted someone's honor.

In many instances a citizen may have committed deplorable acts in the past. But have temple members not successfully repudiated their past associations? Have misguided men not found the correct path? If one tried hard enough they could find every person on this island deplorable in one way or another. Big or small, rumor or fact, it is irrelevant. If all refused to cooperate, as many do, to work with those they dislike, then Troll's Bane would field a vacant army if it ever needs one.

You may not work with people you like. You may not get as much money as you want. You may not get as much fame and attention as you want. You may not get as much authority as you want. There's always a reason not to do something. But not doing something never got people very far.

Perhaps I can tell a story of a chaotic time in the town's history. When the Temple first formed they took the tactic of attacking the town with violence to accomplish their ends. Most towns on the island didn't want anything to do with the conflict. It was Troll's Bane alone who had to bear the burden. A number of public officials took a stand against the Temple including Samantha Meryadeles (magistrate), Stephen Rothman (governor and guild leader) and myself (magistrate then governor). Stephen was arrested by myself and Samantha over accusations of corruption. Many disliked Samantha. Brer's insanity was mistaken to be Temple influence over his mind, and I replaced him and consolidated authority -- many did not like me for that. There was plenty of ill feeling to go around. But not for an instant did anyone let that get in the way of trying to make the town better. Stephen continued to fight even after a huge mob overthrew him and chased him from town. Everyone worked to make the town successful. Even the Temple was defeated -- the closest it has ever been to eradication. Hellbriar was cleansed only to be desecrated again later. A demon invasion was also stopped at around the same time.

Troll's Bane outlasted Darlok, it outlasted the Temple, it survived a long drought, it was victorious in orc wars, goblin wars, undead wars, we beat Negros, we beat foes that seemed like they were sent from Moshran himself. But many would rather put personal conflicts, drama, or personal ambition above all else. Those great victories were not won by those people. The town did not reach new heights on the backs of those people. I have been guilty lately of this as much as any -- this is not meant as a harsh insult to anyone. But now I am done playing any such games .. and I hope others will join.

And after so much talk of what we can't do I think it should also be mentioned what we can do. We can make a good guard. We can make one of the least corrupt towns known in the island's history. We can make a better atmosphere -- no jailings, no false accusations, no foreign influences in the town. We can work and plan for future improvements when the possibility becomes available. We can create a town full of talented crafters, perhaps with the assistance of town funding. We can protect contracts and land owner's rights.

The town has stagnated due to petty arguments, drama, rumors, and other stupidity. How things go from here is up to everyone else.

F
Leva Beliu

Re: The Future of Troll's Bane

Post by Leva Beliu »

Mister Governor,

I must say that your recent address moved me and that it gave me the incentive to be a more active participant into the destiny of Troll's Bane. I suffered injustice, I was scorned and ridiculed by the precedent administration, but I agree to forget it all (Roland, I am not yet sure).
Strong hearts and souls sometimes do not reveal themselves readily. I confess I was wary of you for some (obscure) reasons... But now I am willing to support your governement and do my best to promote the interests of our fair town.
Nevertheless, we must not forget our friends in other regions, that helped us in time of need: in Vanima, in Varshikar...

No town is an island.

At your service
Leva Beliu
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Rather Fooser, how things go from here is up to YOU!

The people of Bane did not elect you to lament their shortcomings and the poor state of the town, but rather to lead them to better places. It is hardly inspiring to see one such as yourself teary eyed and bemoaning all those beautiful things you could acheive if only you had some money. Is it simply self pity or are you hoping for some kind of generous donation to line your pockets? What happened to those who would give their lives for Bane not because it paid their wages but because it was their home and their love? What happened to the pride of this town and its strength under adversity? What happened to the dedication of its leaders, who would slave day and night to raise funds for their vision of the town?

It seems it has been lost somewhere along the way, and in their bid for a better future they have elected a weak and ineffectual leader who has not the heart to actually lead them. You have not outlasted anything, you have simply lingered, like a diseased old man. It you are some great hero of times past, who once led the town against formidable foes, then show us this strength! Or have the years dulled your blade and sickened your constitution so much that you can only flounder and wail when things do not run themselves? What kind of leader tells his people that their future is up to everyone else?

Bane may not desire us.
But it does not deserve you.

A concerned outsider,
Verdazar Ivinius.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Oh Fooser,

Such stirring words have never aroused quite a passion in me as yours I see before me. A greater being has never been more inspiring official as you have. In light of such situations, I pledge upon the city my entire life savings including my clothing collection. I am in eternal debt for your servitude to the city and no turncoat or agitator can ever sway me from your powerfully incandescent character. The one true savior of this isle. The one true servant of the land. The one true god.

Oh fooser,
My Governor
My Friend
My Love

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO,
Brer Beothach the Godmen
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Now we know the Temple opinion of things .. and still no one cares. He sure has a lot to say for being apart of a group that took town money, associated with the undead, and couldn't even get two citizens to genuinely care about defending them. Try harder with your smears next time.

F
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

For someone who does not value our opinion, you do seem to spend significantly more time focusing on our rule than on your own.

And yet it still stands that you do not understand my words. I am not chastising you for having done little for Bane, I am challenging you to do more. Perhaps if your rhetoric paid closer attention to your role in the future of the town, and less on others in the past, you would have more luck inspiring your people to greater deeds. Though, of course, it is far easier to post short quips about those who ask difficult questions than answering them. Try beginning your next response with "Here is how I shall lead Bane to a better future;" and see if you don't have better luck with your 'stagnant' town.

So Fooser, what direction shall you take? Another dismissive attack on myself? Or an inspiring lead for your people?

Here's to hoping.
~Verdazar Ivinius~
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

No, you decided to throw out nonconstructive insults because the Temple no longer rules the town and I assume you didn't like me talking about Hellbriar in public in such a negative way. You littered your note with various implications -- including one wondering if I was trying to scam people for money without the slightest piece of evidence. Shady groups have done quite well for themselves at the town's expense. You know all about that. Meanwhile we now make all monetary transactions public and the town money is kept in a separate depot. Anyone may ask me to show it at any moment. I have been working on ways to actually send the money back out quickly. I merely lament the fact that the income is not more reliable than it currently is. I promised things (ex. repairing the Seahorse) and wished to give an explanation to citizens as to why I haven't delivered. If that makes me weak then I am proudly so.

The very premise of your criticisms aren't even sound. The town may guide others but they still retain control over their own destinies and the fate of the town itself. If you think anyone can magically stop personal feuding then you are very naive.

F
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

Like the little children
~unsigned