Town of Troll's Bane

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Ezor Edwickton

Re: Town of Troll's Bane

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

I'm on it.

Darian Estiel
Kaidan Firestone

Post by Kaidan Firestone »

Correct me if I am wrong but i believe Trolls Bane has a working government, a semi functional town guard and no specific laws to speak of. Bindus had attacked an elfess named Kayden on Vanima, he attempted to rob her. He said as much to me before we fought. Unless there is some hidden set of laws, it is more or less a fend for yourself situaton in Trolls Bane and I did not think it was smart to allow Bindus to wander Trolls Bane after having committed assaults elsewhere.

Kaidan Firestone

Post Script - Fooser, there is a specific reason why the Governor is not involved with court issues. Please understand and respect that.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

It must be nice to claim ignorance, but taking ones honor feuds and bringing them to Troll's Bane land to assault another citizen has never been looked upon nicely. Any citizen is free to send criminal complaints to any official, including myself, to which they will be passed along where necessary. This is hardly new or me sticking my snout where it doesn't belong. Now that your fears are hopefully alleviated, you may run along and continue to whine like a child and stroke your enormous ego.

F
Kaidan Firestone

Fooser, I may have a bit of an ego but it holds not a candle to yours. You are Governor, yes, but this does not mean what you seem tothink it means. When someone files a complaint, as Bindus did, it goes solely to the Judge. Not to you and not to the Captain of the Guard. You, as governor, getting involved in any specific trial is a blatant over step of your authority which, again, is far more limited than you seem to think. I have so far held my tongue in check at your increasing missteps and over reaches with your office, but with Seredoc missing I feel I must now take a more active role in keeping you honest.

Furthermore, if you wish to take this argument farther, I will happily meet you in person.

Kaidan Firestone
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

By attacking Bindus you have wronged on Bane land.
Please do not tell the Governer how to do his job Mister Firestone as it is not polite.
You cornered me in The Fluffy Sheep tavern and acused me of wishing to harm your wife and threatened to attack me.
You speak of 'Taking an active role' but from what I see you are only a citizen on Troll's Bane. You were outvoted by Fooser so perhaps you should realise that.
So please, do not try and get all high and mighty, let justice do it's job.

-Alexander Knight
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

And since you mention it here is my proposal for the official laws. They draw upon most of the older laws with some of the more authoritarian ones removed. They may be tweaked and specified as needed. We currently are unable to use the prison as punishment. This proposal has been sent to the judge.

The Judge will decide all cases of criminal complaints after hearing everything that needs to be heard from those involved. Criminal complaints will be accepted from the districts as well, not just inside the town walls. If a guilty sentence is decided there may be a number of punishments:

Fine: A payment of money from the criminal. The fine will be split proportionally. This means that if the crime was committed against one person then the town itself would get half of the fine and the victim would get the other half. If there are two victims then it will be split 1/3 to each, and so forth.

Hard Labor: If the convict has any gathering skills of note then he may make an agreement with the judge to do hard labor and produce resources that will be sold to citizen crafters. The money gained will be handled as a fine and half will go to the treasury and half to the victim.

Banishment: Someone may be banned from the town limits either permanently or for a pre-arranged amount of time. Breaking this ban may lead to further charges against the individual.

Removal of Citizenship: If a criminal is currently a citizen and they refuse to pay their fine or accept their ban then they may lose status as a citizen and any benefits that may come from that.

Kill order: In serious cases the judge may issue a kill order for the most heartless offenders who commit murder and other serious crimes. A kill order means that any action may be taken against this individual by others (including theft, murder) and no one will be prosecuted for those actions as they are being done against an unrepentant criminal of the worst kind.

I. Minor Crimes

A. Thievery
Anyone who takes property against the will and/or knowledge of the owner is committing thievery. If convicted the criminal must give back the items (or something of equal value) to the original owner plus an added fine to be paid to the town treasury or also to the original owner.

B. Break in/Trespassing (Private building)
Whoever breaks into a house of an individual against the will or knowledge of the owner, or refuses to leave when asked to is engaging in trespass.

C. Disturbance
Anyone who interrupts the peace of the town with hostile, destructive, or disturbing acts should cease immediately upon request. If they continue despite warning from a proper authority then they are subject to a criminal charge.

D. Assault
Assault occurs when one person attacks another with their own body, with metal weapons, or with objects, but does not actually kill the person (murder). Voluntary violence between two individuals (dueling) is permitted outside the town walls.

E. Defamation
Everyone who purposely designs and spreads false claims to harm someone else or to benefit themselves commits a crime in terms of the law. The crime is especially grave if it involves unfounded accusations against the guard.

F. Conspiracy to commit a Crime
Should a person be caught in the act of planning, attempting or inciting others to break the laws and regulations alone or in a group, he or she is subject to the exact same punishment as he would get for doing the crime.

II Medium Offences

A. Claiming false status to Authorities
Claiming to be an official or guard for some kind of benefit when one actually is not is a crime under the law and will be dealt with accordingly.

B. Obstruction of Justice
Anyone perverting or distorting the course of justice, interfering with law-enforcement or preventing the law enforcement from fulfilling their tasks commits a crime under the law.

C. Resisting Arrest
Resisting arrest through physical or verbal means is a crime under the law. Trying to prevent the arrest of someone, or sheltering him/her else by the same means is an equal crime under the law.

D. Disobedience
Everyone who refuses to follow official orders of the Town Guard or the Government, especially refuses imprisonments, bans or other official punishments commits crime in terms of the Law.

E. Robbery
In cases of thievery where the victim is threatened to be harmed by violence the crime has to be raised in seriousness to Robbery. When violence is actually used and not just threatened the crime has to considered as assault or attempted murder along with robbery.

F. Threat and duress
Threatening a citizen or a resident with violence, or trying to force them into doing something against his will is crime against the law.

G. Kidnapping
Capturing or holding someone against his or her will is a crime against the laws. Included in this are acts of coercion where one purposely draws an individual to a specific location for nefarious purposes.

H. Attempted Murder
Attempted murder is a crime where it can be seen that the perpetrator attempted to murder the individual, or that the victim was sufficiently and severely wounded to justify that.

III. Serious Crimes

A. Spying
Spying for the benefit of other town or organization is a crime under the law. The magnitude of punishment depends on the graveness of the leaks, to which organization/town the spying has been conducted for and the duration of the spying. Always treat the case as category III.III crime until proven otherwise.

B. Murder
When a person is irreversibly killed by someone else, and it cannot be determined that this was in self-defence, it is seen as Murder in front of the law. ((OOC: Only Perma-deaths can be murder))
Anyone accused of Murder who doesn’t turn him/herself in immediately becomes an outlaw.

C. Arson and Damaging of property
Anyone who through fire or any other means, intentionally damages the property of the town, an individual, or a group commits a crime under the law. One who causes unintentional fire damage should seek to pay the owner for repairs.

D. Treason
An individual, who alone or in a group, commits any or all of the following acts may be found guilty of treason: Inciting a rebellion. Belonging to, associating with, assisting or supporting a group which plans to overthrow the government of Trollsbane or assassinating a person belonging to or working for the government (or planning to do those individually). Anyone convicted of spying may also be punished for treason, and vice versa.
Copper Dragon

Post by Copper Dragon »

Kaidan Firestone wrote:When someone files a complaint, as Bindus did, it goes solely to the Judge. Not to you and not to the Captain of the Guard.

Kaidan Firestone
He does have a point With out all the posturing the idea is simple. Yes the Judge should handle all complaints with a record of all decisions. Complaints towards a guard should also be given to the captian as well to be kept on file for that guard with decisions also noted on the file. This is my two copper.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

A Peice of paper lies ontop of Foosers parchment. A seemingly handwritten copy of the words within. No other mark or sign is found on the paper

Governor

The power and purpose of the Governor is to nominate Captains of the Town Guard and the Judge of Trolls Bane, enforce town laws, head the town during wars or states of Emergencies, write treaties with other settlements, finalize land contracts with citizens and residents, propose tax increase or tax decreases and request town money for various projects.

The Governor is to be elected for a term of six dwarven months as decided by the first town vote under the new system.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

A parchment suddenly appears.

I have missed seeing the Councilor Seredoc in major events and learned from some he has gone to Nargun. I think the first order of business is to hold an election to replace him.

Kyre
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

That is quite unfortunate to hear. If that is true then I will have to arrange some things as the election process has been modified since last time.

F
Kaidan Firestone

I slew Alex today by the workshop. He verbally berated me for about... twenty minutes, Shandra, Irania and Leon were all able to hear him repeatedly insult, attack and do whatever he could to try and instigate me. I let it all go, even the rather vicious line about my wife cheating on me. I was calm and polite throughout until he got closer and whispered that not only would I die, but my wife be first. After that I gave him 3 seconds to leave my sight, he stood his ground and I slew him. I feel it was justified. Ill happily stand in court and face whatever consequences.

Should also be noted that Alex has been running around calling himself a guard, he has harassed Shandra and Liasany, Ill let them file their complaints. Their issue with Alex are separate from my own.

Kaidan Firestone
Alexander Knight

~A note hangs from the town board, It's edges bent and it has a few fingerprints of what looks like blood.~

Town Guard.
I would like to inform you that I have been both verbally and physically attacked by the man known as Kaidan Firestone.
After he threw insults at me and the halfling Bindus in Elizas shop calling me 'Less than a person' I saw him at the Smithing lodge.
While we exchanged words the Elfess Shandra and the Human Irania were there.
As Shandra's cooking flame burned it's last embers she went off in search of wood, this is when Kaidan attacked.
His blade was swift and he soon over came me before I even drew a blade but he had chance to thrust his into me.
Waking up I saw Irania and the man known as Leon, standing above me, who then helped me to the hospital where I remain.

-Alexander Knight
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Vanima has come to the town of Troll's Bane seeking assistance in the matter of one of our citizens. Bindus Sparcello and the Legitimate Businessman's Association has sought money from Vanima in return for not attacking their people. A complaint was made just recently about Bindus that led to some unfortunate events on Trolls Bane land.

The following resolution will be adopted:

-Bindus, as a citizen of Troll's Bane, is required to act within the bounds of proper behavior in towns friendly to Troll's Bane, including Vanima.

-Any further disturbances by Bindus will result in the following punishments:
One incident: A fine of no less than 1 gold to be paid to the victim(s) or the Vanima leadership, and a loss of citizenship status therefore losing the right to be an official, vote, own land, or have any other protections or benefits as a citizen.
Multiple incidents: A ban from Troll's Bane for an indefinite period of time.
This resolution was approved with a council majority.

F
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

A decision has been made concerning the case of Alexander Knight. See the Town Guards board for details. ((http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... 99#p643499))

Darian Estiel
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The following contract was approved with a council majority (Altrix, Oxiana):
Regarding the lands of "Eastmark":

The town accepts Skull'fed as the owner of Eastmark. There is historic basis for this claim as he has owned the keep at Kallahorn. Even though this could be considered a renewal it will be brought to vote due to the lack of good records on this claim.

Since Skull'fed has a historic basis for this claim no initial property fee will be collected.

Skull'fed has agreed to let the town take a small fee out of his monthly guard earnings to continue ownership of this territory.

Eastmark is not permitted to leave the jurisdiction of Troll's Bane, and if so, this contract is void and will return to town ownership. All applicable regulations apply to Eastmark.

Fooser, Governor of Troll's Bane
Skull'Fed, Owner of Eastmark
--------------------------

Ownership of Oakwood Shire has been voluntarily transferred from Shandra to Celdea Ross.

Edited land rules passed with a council majority (Altrix, Oxiana) .. Council has a say on new land and single building purchases and the governor may do renewals without council vote. These rules will be amended onto the constitution.
*Both citizens and residents can own property with the bounds of the town and its districts. If multiple parties desire the same area of land then the citizen(s) will be preferred over residents.

*Whenever there is a change in government all current land owners have the right to retain their land and be safe from confiscation. New governors may renew the old contracts -- renewals do not require a council vote. An owner is eligible for renewal if they are the long-standing owner or have been viewed as the owner or manager at some time. No purchase fee should be paid for renewals.

*The governor may renew contracts of previous owners to continue their ownership. This does not require a council vote. New land claims and single building sales must pass a council majority.

*Buildings important as town resources can not be sold to private owners. These include the library, the jail, and the shop near the east gate.

*A land owner has the right to pass ownership on to a successor that is a citizen or resident and they must be in good standing with Troll's Bane. One loses good standing if they have an unresolved crime in the categories of robbery, assault, murder, or kidnap or have been convicted of such in their recent past. Crimes in the distant past may be overlooked if good behavior followed.

*A district may be confiscated under the following conditions:
1) The owner attempted to remove the district from Troll's Bane's jurisdiction.
2) The owner committed a heinous crime or declared war on Troll's Bane.
3) The owner has gone inactive for more than a dwarven month.
4) The owner voluntarily gives up their right to ownership.

*Districts may be sold for an initial purchase fee decided by the governor. Taxation rates may also be negotiated. Unlike renewals, new land claims (new owner for a confiscated district) must be voted on by the town council by a majority of 2-1 or better.

*The governor or council cannot edit a contract without first consulting the owner(s).

*Land owners have the right to manage as they wish as long as their actions do not break town laws and do not break the terms of their contracts.

Drathe's contract for the arena was approved by a council majority (Altrix, Oxiana)

Altrix's contract regarding partial ownership of the house south of the Seahorse Inn was approved with a council majority and judge approval.

Guard wages were approved with a council majority (Altrix, Oxiana) -- the land reward was removed for the time being.
Per Dwarven month ...

Captain: 30 silver
Officer: 25 silver
Lieutenant: 23 silver
Guard: 20 silver
Recruit: 10 silver

F
Juliana D'cheyne

Post by Juliana D'cheyne »

An arrow suddenly appears through a window landing on the town board. It is unclear where it came from and since only signed with a J there may be confusion if a citizen or not. Before removal of the fairly embedded arrow, a few people may actually read the words on the parchment it carried.

The above votes should not have been approved by the council until the third one has been voted for.

J
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

There is nothing in the constitution that states that there needs to be a unanimous vote for each and every law passed.
A unanimous vote is great, but not mandatory.

Altrix Wulfgar.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The outcome was already decided as a 2/3 majority was accomplished. Doing otherwise would've just delayed things unnecessarily.

F
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

All land contracts will assume approval of myself (Judge), unless stated otherwise. If someone feels a contract is incorrect of illegal you may contact me.

Darian Estiel
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

I will be at the Seahorse Inn starting now for any negotiations, complaints, insults, etc.

F
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

As Skull'fed has been busy in recent days it was decided by the governor and council present that we will assist in recruitment of the guard to speed the process along. The official listing will be on this parchment and also on the guard parchment when Skull'fed looks it over.

F
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Welcome to the newest councilor, Orren Paddick.

F
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Town Update
4 Irmas 33
  • -Possible treaties are being worked out with both the Bearers/Kumdah and the Kingdom of Silverbrand. The final version of such treaties, if any, is unknown. Once that has been decided they will be made public and put before the council for a vote.

-A new statute has been proposed by Mr Altrix to avoid future confusion about what town officials can do. The amendment goes as follows:
    Any town official that isn't a guard (judge, governor, councilors) may invoke a short and temporary ban on any individual after personally witnessing some crime or disturbance. Allowing for such bans will help cut short tense conflicts and will help keep the town safe before the criminal complaint is officially filed. If no charges come from the complaint the ban must end immediately. The ban cannot last longer than 2 dwarven days.
    -Officials will assist with getting the guard on its feet when Skull'fed is not available. Recruiting is underway and any citizen may join. Now is a good time to join as you will receive a full months payment for a half months duty. Each payment period begins on the first of every dwarven month. Wages have been listed on the guard parchment and on the town parchment. Leon Demelii, Brian Stubbs, and Alexander are lesser guards beneath Skull'fed at this time. Any complaints about guard conduct can be sent to the judge.

-As some might know all building projects are on delay. I hope citizens will understand this and be patient. Also with all the government changes the tax collector has not been passing funds on. With some assistance we may possibly get some funds in the coming days though.

-Some have proposed selling individual plots of land to citizens and/or residents. Currently the only borough Troll's Bane owns as opposed to a citizen owner is Midlands. A plan was approved by the council to sell the rights to build in Midlands. This region stretches from the east gate out towards the Knighthood's keep.
    1) Only citizens and residents may purchase rights
    2) No purchase can exceed 100 square plots
    3) Each single square plot costs 2 silver each (2 gold total for maximum purchase)
    As stated before building projects are delayed ((VBU)). One would be purchasing future rights to build in this borough.

F
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

-The following amendment has been passed with 2 council votes (Orren, Altrix):
Any town official that isn't a guard (judge, governor, councilors) may invoke a short and temporary ban on any individual after personally witnessing some crime or disturbance. Allowing for such bans will help cut short tense conflicts and will help keep the town safe before the criminal complaint is officially filed. If no charges come from the complaint the ban must end immediately. The ban cannot last longer than 2 dwarven days.
The purpose of such an amendment is to keep things in order after a conflict has been witnessed.

-Southfields has been repurchased by Troll's Bane from Roland Ross for a small fee. The town now owns it again.

-A spending request of up to 1 gold has been approved to purchase swords and chest armor for the guards. All unused funds will be returned.

F
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

I'd like to file a complaint. I, Tirrend Skye, had shared the 20 story tall demon tower with one Seredoc brush-something or other. He was the owner, and had plans to move out of the tower to somewhere else, leaving it to me. Unfortunately he had passed on, and I awoke recently in a field, clad in partially torn trousers only, to be informed that the tower has dissapeared. I say, how the hell does a 20 story tower made by a demon dissapear?! I want some bloody compensation.

Thank you,
Tirrend Skye.
Alexander Knight

For the crimes commited on 01. Malas the human known as Leva Beliu has been banned until such time as a Judge can arrange a suitable date for a trial.

On another note the Elf Shandra has also been banned till 07. Malas at noon for her involvment in an attack on a town guard.

-Alexander Knight
Officer of the Town Guard.

Alexander repins a message underneath it.

Shandra's ban is now up. May she abide by the laws of Troll's Bane in future.
Ezor Edwickton

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

Leva Beliu's and Shandra's ban is lifted as they pose no threat to the safety and well being of Trolls Bane. My investigation into the incident is still on going until I hear from all witness and participants.

If anyone was witness to this incident please write a report to me for a fair review of the situation.

Darian Estiel
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The following is a proposal on taking a final stance on the status of Temple members. It will be voted on within a few days.

This policy will effect the following individuals who are/were actively part of the Temple:
-Joxia Doral
-Verdazar
-Dain
-Silas Farron
-Retlak

*Temple members will officially be able to walk freely again within the lands of Troll's Bane.

*Temple members will be permanently banned from residence and citizenship. They may not own land, they may not be guards, and they may not vote.

*Members of the Temple cannot directly receive any money from the town for services such as when the town purchases weapons and armor, or when the town makes any other purchase.

*Any of the individuals above will continue to be allowed to walk freely in Troll's Bane unless they are found guilty of a medium crime or worse (see the town laws on the guard parchment for clarification). If found guilty of one of these crimes their permanent ban will be reinstated with no hope of it being lifted again.

*If any individual listed above commits a crime or wages war on another settlement or town their permanent ban will be reinstated.
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

After two councilors voted in favor the above mentioned resolution on Temple members is now in effect.

F
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

The treaty with Silverbrand regarding the tavern has passed (Oxiana, Altrix voting in favor).

Margot has joined as my assistant. Any messages or bureaucratic issues can be directed to her if I cannot be found. There is no pay involved.

F