Nominations for the Governance of Trolls Bane

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Kyre

Nominations for the Governance of Trolls Bane

Post by Kyre »

On the side away from the official Trolls Bane board there are small parchments hanging that can easily be removed. Occasionally one is torn down, stepped on and ignored as it floats out the door on an errant breeze, while others manage to stay.

In order for our citizens to be better informed of their options, I have placed this worksheet for those who wish to nominate one for public office of Trolls Bane including the Governor,Commander,Director,Guide,Notable,Chief,Luminary, or whatever he or she will be called.

There have been plenty of small and large parchments on the board but some citizens may miss these in their perusal of other events. Since not all of us read well, inform your friends and get their ideas also. All parchments must have a signature of at least one citizen, and the nominees must be a citizen or resident. It would also be beneficial to let others know the reasons behind the nomination. If nominating someone else, they may at their discretion, remove the parchment if desire not to run for that particular office yet if nominated, you must confirm your agreement or will not be on the ballot.

Kyre Raven
Last edited by Kyre on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezor Edwickton

Re: Nominations for the Governance of Trolls Bane

Post by Ezor Edwickton »

It would help to know what each position means and the responsibilities.

D. Estiel
Kaidan Firestone

Post by Kaidan Firestone »

This is as good a parchment as any.

The power and purpose of the Governor is to nominate Captains of the Town Guard and the Judge of town, enforce town laws, head the town during wars or states of Emergencies, write treaties with other settlements, propose tax increases or tax decreases and request town money for various projects.

The power and purpose of the Council is to collect taxes, pass laws, confirm nominated Captains of the Town Guard, confirm the nominated Judge, sign treaties with other settlements and allocate town money to the Governor for various projects. The Council is to put forth one of their own to collect the taxes.

----

I am putting forth my name as candidate for Governor of Trolls Bane. I want to build Trolls Bane into a strong and able town, governed with conscience, honor and integrity. If elected Governor I would be interested in nominating Orren Padick as Judge of Trolls Bane and will refrain from stating my nominee for Town Guard Captain until I have selected between a handful of capable men.

As Governor I will push to build a strong town guard as well as encourage the owners of the various boroughs to grow their lands to provide housing for all people of Bane. To continue on that path, when the builder returns to Gobiath, I will push for more apartments and houses to be built within the town walls.

I will govern with a careful mind for the fragility of our newly formed democratic government. I will ensure that any corruption in the guard, council or judge be rooted out and publicly exposed. I will swear that no backroom deals will occur during my tenure and all tax payer money will be spent responsibly and transparently.

I will stand firm against any outside groups that seek to subvert or intimidate our town. I will not bend to pressure from foreign powers and will always govern according to the principles of the Gods Malachin, Zhambras, Elara and Oldra.

By the end of my term I wish to have built up Trolls bane into a powerful commonwealth, a united community with firm ties to democracy and known as the Light on this island, a place all people can go to and expect to live safely among a Just people governed by those with Integrity.

Post Script - I completely and wholeheartedly support the candidacies of Oxiana, Hashim and Seredoc. All of them have helped bring about this democratic movement from the start, have remain stalwartly opposed to the Bearers rule and have all bled for this town, multiple times. Oxiana is an immensely trusted man in this town and I do not think you will find a single man or woman who has a bad word to speak about him, the government will need honest men with integrity. Hashim has the sharpest intellect of any I have come across, the Council needs a sharply worded man who can see through the motives of others so as to keep the Governor in check. Lastly Seredoc has the bluntness needed in any elected official, he will tell you where he stands and how he feels and he will not lie to you to gain your support. All of these men would build an excellent Council that will keep any Governor in check.

Kaidan Firestone
Last edited by Kaidan Firestone on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirith-Rym

Post by Sirith-Rym »

I nominate Bindus for Governor, because he is better then Kaidan.

~Sirith Rymn
ex-Captain of the Troll's Bane Town Guard

More can be seen scratched in at the bottom of the note.

And he is better then Hashim.
Last edited by Sirith-Rym on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hashim El'djin

Post by Hashim El'djin »

I would like to nominate myself for a position on the council.

For those who don't know me, my name is Hashim El'djin, or Hashy to my friends.

Though I haven't lived here long, I fell in love with Trollsbane rather quickly. Its blood runs through my veins, and although its cliche, I can't stop what I can only describe as an urge to make things better. I've had a small amount of governing experience, and am aware of the challenges/issues which come with it.

As a councilman, I would fight for the following issues:

1) Pure independance. We deserve to be able to govern ourselves no matter not. This is non-negotiable. We do not require The Bearer's 'protection', nor should we allow ourselves to become temple puppets.

2) Lower merchant prices.

3) An end to the political cloud. The inhabitants have put up with non-stop regime change, violence, bickering, endless debate and other political irritations, and are now tired of it. People are depressed, bored, weary. As a councilman, I would fight to bring back a sense of fun and enjoyment to the town. I want to bring back entertainment. Art. Culture. Beauty. Worship.

To clarify, what I would propose is this: A whole month filled with festivals and events, each one dedicated to a god. These could be competitions, forms of entertainment, anything. In any case, there is so much more a government could do for its citizens, and thats what I'd fight for.

Vote Hashy!

~Hashim El'djin
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Greetings to all,

Many have voiced concern about the future of Troll's Bane. There is a lot of uncertainty about who to trust and who not to trust. The temple has been expelled and the voice of independent citizens has returned. But these are still uncertain times. The temple behaves all well and good while they are the establishment. But when they are not they have a history of showing their putrid scowling face to the rest of the island. In this parchment I hope to dispel any distrust of myself and perhaps gain your support, or at least your interest, from policy ideas discussed below. But first, I have been governor of Troll's Bane twice before. Both times I held elections before my departure. I handed the treasury to my successors both times. I unfortunately had to spend much time and effort keeping unwanted influences out, the temple the first time, and the knighthood of kallahorn, an extension of the temple, the second time. I am a part of no guild, clique, or group.

Second, I believe there are a number of policy discussions worth having. It is easy to say "I will make Troll's Bane better" or you will do this or that. I assume most people want this. The tricky part is articulating ideas beforehand so people know what to expect and can comment. I have four main points that I will advocate if elected governor and I will discuss them here.

General Town Improvements
-Repair of the Seahorse Inn (?)
-One issue in the past has been corruption. There are two ways to get around this. First, council meetings should be held with a public audience. Second, and this used to be done in the past, keep a running tally of all treasury transactions open for all to see.
-The issue of the temple and the alliance should be one of practicality. If someone joined the temple a year ago to learn magic and has since left and proven to be a decent person -- are they worthy of efforts against them? No. But those who have repeatedly, over and over, come to town and abused their privileges, they should not be allowed back right away. Even if they are ever allowed back they should not be allowed to be citizens, or in other words, shouldn't be put in position to effect the political process again. We can work with the alliance to get a list of names and crimes.

Subsidy for Citizen Crafters
Everyone benefits when the town has good crafters. So why aren't we helping them in any significant way? I have devised a possible system to allow for the town to assist crafters in improving their skills, learning new ones, or cutting their costs. It will work as follows:
1) A citizen may apply to the town for raw materials for their craft. There will be restrictions of course.
2) The town sends out offers to buy the said amount of resources from a resource gatherer (miner, carpenter, farmer, etc)
3) The town takes offers from resource gatherers and chooses based on priority. The priorities would be:
Citizen ------> Resident --------> Foreigner

In such a system I believe everyone wins. Again there would be restrictions -- the person would have to prove they are a crafter if asked, and there can only be a certain number of requests during a period of time. The benefits would be:
1) The town: Better crafters within the town, circulates the tax money back to people instead of hoarding it
2) Crafters: A subsidy to the cost of their raw materials, and they can gain experience
3) Resource gatherers: Increased demand for their services

Policy toward the Guards
-A new captain will be chosen. These are uncertain times so skill in combat will be a major factor. They must also have a clean history and a record of solid ethics. A lot will be asked of this individual. They should keep interest in the progress of their new recruits and hold meetings when needed.
-Guard compensation will be given, though I can't say for certain an exact number and/or type of benefit.

Open Land Policy / The Property Tax Myth?
-When someone, or a group, takes the next step and purchases land and/or constructs a building within the town grounds they are essentially saying: "This is Troll's Bane and I am committed to being here". Why not have more people in this category? If someone creates a plan that is approved by the builder, the town will approve the contract with no hassle (unless it conflicts with a previous contract, of course).
-There also seems to have been some arguing over money matters. Perhaps I could clarify this issue: property taxes are not needed. During my previous time as governor I was in charge of collecting the town funds, I know how much the town is capable of raising. I don't believe the town needs to be going around hassling others at this point in time. And in the grand scheme of things, with property taxes, we're talking about pocket change. Some arguments have been raised to continue them, I will address them briefly:
Guards need to be paid: That is correct, and the town is capable of handling it. When I handled the town money before it grew from 250 silver to 1000 silver --- and guards were paid!
Less money will force Trolls Bane to rely on others: This is misguided, and I believe it should be viewed the other way. If Trolls Bane is hoarding money, it is more likely outsiders will try to come in and abuse that fact.
Revenue would be gathered as such: 1) Teleporter and Merchant Tax 2) Donations 3) Events and Fundraising

Thank you for your time,
Fooser
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

You all know me well enough, if you don't well, you've not spent enough time in Bane. My full names Seredoc Brushgather Freespirt. Sometimes, Sere, Serry or perhaps Jimmy - don't ask. Or do -.

I've lived in Bane for Nargun only knows when, and I can't help but say I''m one of the straightest speaking people in these walls. If I see sh*t, I'll call it just that and not lie my ass off unlike the usual Baner out for their own good. My goal is to enhance Bane to make it truly the best multiracial town on all the island.

I put all this down because - as you've probably guessed - I'm running for council.

Now, a vote for myself is a vote for a straight answer and not some donkeying around to lie through my teeth.

Oh just for the record, I'm a priest of Nargun. If you have a problem with this - And I'm talking to you, you hairy moles in Silverbrand - stick it up your arse then come back and make demands on the people of bane. That's all.

In Nargun's name,
~Sere~
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

I nominate Altrix for Advising Council.

I nominate Orren Padick for the Advising Council.

I nominate Artimer Fault for the Advising Council.

I nominate Fredrick Drake for Advising Council.

If any one of them disagree with my nomination, please so state.

~signed~
Orioli Shaldra
Last edited by Orioli on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skull'Fed

Post by Skull'Fed »

Greebas people, meh Skull'Fed, and meh run fur mayur, as yoo probably know, meh best craftah tah ever breath on this isle, meh libed in bane fur about 5 years already, tiem in which meh and meh children hab helped dha town against demon atacks, invadin armies and maneh oddha stuff. Meh hope that through this parchment, meh can explain how meh want deal wib dha following problems:

Money:

Dha citizens will nubba hab to ever worry about meh stealin money or stuff like dhat fur mehself, as meh satisfied wib dha riches meh alreadeh hab.
Dha money ob Bane shall be supplied frum dha taxes, arenah fights and auctions meh shall hold fur citizens, also, meh would gladly invest sum ob mes money fur dha town.

Corruption:

Dhat will beh handled easily, each town meeting will beh held in publics, and all citizens present shall beh allowed to vote ib they agree or not wib suggestion leaders bring, dha opinion obcitizens will matter vereh much.
People who mean harm to Troll's Bane will nubbah beh allowed citizenship.

Guards:

Captain will beh chosen wisely, he must beh powahfull and coolheaded. Citizens again have say in this.Guards will beh paid wells, equiped wells and trained wells. As most ob joo know, meh hab trained quite a few guud warriors, and meh would train the guard as meh trained them.

Arena fights:

These shall beh held evereh dwarf week or dwarf month fur dha people ob Bane, dhere will beh funds raised out ob dhis and champion ob Bane shall beh named.

Owning land:

As Baneh hab odha ways ob making money, meh nubba shall put monthly or weekly tax on land. Ib group or single person want house or land, they make single payment to town coffers and dhat beh dhat. Ib dhey nubba beh seen fur one dwarven month wibout sending meh message about departure, land and house shall beh reclaimed by Bane, and new owners shall beh seeked.
Ib dha land owners return after land reclaimed, and no owners hab been found in meantime, land shall beh given back to previous owners.

Training crafters:

Meh shall spend tiem wib all citizen craftahs and help dhem in gaining experience. Meh alreadeh did dhis kindah stuff through dha crafting academy. And would do it on much largea scale fur town.

Dhese are meh ideas.
Meh hope Bane grows ta beh guud town under leadership ob next mayur.

~Skull'Fed
bdgdkay

Post by bdgdkay »

I wish to second the nomination of Orren Paddock and Artimer Fault for advising council, as well as display further support for Fooser's nomination as Governor.

I also accept my own nomination for advising council.

Altrix Wulfgar.
Oxi

Post by Oxi »

To the people of Troll's Bane,

I, Oxiana, submit my name as candidate for Council Member of the new government of Troll's Bane.

For those of you unfamiliar with my name, having originated from a small mining community on the mainland I am now pursuing my dream as an apprentice smith with the Crafting Academy of Gobaith. I have never previously held an interest in politics or any desire to be involved in such matters but my time in Bane has taught me much and I hope to have the opportunity to repay a little of which the town and her citizens have provided me. I wish to support the establishment of a strong and stable democratic government with the fundamental integrity and honour necessary for the growth of Bane as a thriving, united community.

Some thoughts...
Family life should be at the heart of any community and establishment of a safe and prosperous environment is key to Bane's future. I would encourage any new building opportunities in Bane and her boroughs that will ensure the availability of housing for all families of Bane. The work of the druids at the hospital should be supported as it provides a precious service to citizens and visitors alike. A charitable trust could provide the means for the town to support her citizens when they face exceptional hardship, thereby allowing them to become re-established within their community.

Encouragement of trade will be central to the prosperity of the town. As a beneficiary myself, I would support any establishment of any training opportunities within the town; development of such apprenticeships will support crafters through those difficult early stages of learning their trade with the provision of materials and the discipline of formal teaching. Free trade should be endorsed. Promotion of young entertainers should be enhanced by the government through sponsorship of events, lifting town spirit.

A strong guard prepared to act with honour and integrity will be crucial for protection of the town and her citizen's right to independence. The guard must be given the incentive and tools to defend all citizens and any corruption must be rooted out and publicly exposed. Recruits should be treated with as much respect and provided with the same support as any citizen learning their trade.

All financial dealings of the town should be transparent so that her citizens can determine whether their money is being spent responsibly; the town's accounts, including all rentals and tax income should therefore be published for scrutiny by all prior to discussion at a public meeting.

Above all those chosen for service must advocate the rights of every citizen of Troll's Bane to a just and honest government that will up uphold their values and freedom.

Yours,
Oxi
Kaidan Firestone

Post by Kaidan Firestone »

Some things need to be clarified here.

I think we should make sure that people may only nominate themselves, only people who have directly declared themselves running for a position in this parchment will be put on the ballot.

Also, remember it is the elected Governor who will nominate the Judge & Captain of the guard who will then be either confirmed or not by the Council.

Lastly, it is an actual Council with equal political power as the Governor, it is not in an advisory role. The Council will act as a check to the Governor's power. Meaning, the Governor will not have infinite power and indeed will need to work with and compromise with whomever are elected to the Council of 3.

All of these issues were decided at the various town meetings.

Kaidan Firestone
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

A small parchment is added to the bottom with a copy of the original

If nominating someone else, they may at their discretion, remove the parchment if desire not to run for that particular office.

Words appear to suddenly be added fitting perfectly inside the first parchment as if were always there.

...if nominated, you must confirm your agreement or will not be on the ballot.

A reminder, these are working parchments. For those unable to attend these meetings, therefore not involved in this decision of who shall pick whom, it harms no one to recommend other offices including Guard, Magistrate, King, Queen, Janitor or whatever. If a Governor was going to choose their Magistrate and Guard, even allowing for council approval, I would want to know who they would choose before voting for them therefore feel free to continue to nominate for offices whom you would like.

Kyre Raven