The Magic Academy

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Athian

The Magic Academy

Post by Athian »

((Before posting here please consider the possibility of sending a private message, this is not a chat board. Please do not write OOC or short messages that have no real use))

The Magic Academy

All you that seek knowledge, are in the right place. This is the Magic academy of Gobaith, the oldest and most successful magic academy on the whole isle, which for many years now, has been bringing knowledge and skill to young, talented mages and battlemages. As smiths all over the world, use their smithy to craft the most amazing metals, so does the Academy craft the minds of those that want to learn.
Welcome and may you become all that is in you to become.

For long now this place has laid dormant, being visited only for minutes at a time, left empty and desolate. This will stop now.. From this day forward, under new leadership and organization, the Magic Academy proudly opens its gates to those that seek to cultivate their minds and spirits, with the hope that its true purpose is restored. It will once again be the place of learning, experimentation and research, as it was in the old days.

The Magic Academy offers commodities for the students and mages alike, research grounds, a grand library with books from all corners of the world on many subjects, a teaching room where worthy students can receive power over runes, and last but not least, classes on different subjects held by our foremost experts in those fields.

Organization
  • Henceforth the structure of the academy rankings shall be broken down into a much more simplistic form. The title of Arch-mage will no longer exist in the magic academy nor shall it give sovereign right over the academy land or property. Instead the academy shall now be used as a utility for all those who wish to further the teachings of the arcane arts.

Rank Advancement shall be handled in a much more simplistic way as well. The instructor will now decide how and when their students will advance in rank. When rank advancement is achieved the instructor should announce the applicant upon our walls for this elevation of status. Should the instructor feel a student is not ready to advance in rank they may choose to withhold advancement until they believe the student capable.

Lastly, all declared and listed instructors together will act as a council concerning all further major changes to the academies rules and properties, as well as the instating of new instructors. As not all instructors are expected to be present at all times, majority votes for any large changes will be taken within the pool of active instructors, with time left for lesser active instructors to cast vote and add opinion before any ruling is passed. All instructors should feel free to leave their words upon our walls or call for meeting should they disagree with any rulings or seek potential changes.

Staff Titles

Academy retainer
    The Retainer of the academy shall act as the voice of the academy as well as the unofficial leader. The job of the retainer is NOT to mandate how other instructors choose to teach their students, nor to make up new rules of his or her own accord. The Retainer shall however enforce the general rules of the academy and seek to maintain a cooperative and peaceful environment on the lands. The retainer shall hold rights over the access granted to the grounds by both guest and instructor, but shall not withhold such rights from other instructors based upon bias or prejudice. The retainer also holds rights to any changes made to the properties of the academy henceforth. Retainer is a mutable position which at any time can be placed upon vote by a council of his or her peers, to be kept or replaced. Lastly the title of Retainer is never hand passed to another, should the current retainer be unable to do the job a vote shall be cast for his replacement. Only in the case of no other Master mages being active does the title pass to the single remaining instructor.

Instructors
    These are the mages that have earned the right to teach. Instructors may take on any number of students they feel they are capable of reasonably handling. Instructors must remain aware that every student under there instruction is also their responsibility. Should a student misbehave, injure another student or instructor maliciously or damage academy property be aware that this behavior will reflect upon the instructor just as much as the student. At any point and time should an instructor feel they are not able to retain a student (due to behavior or personal time) they are thus free to denounce that student. The former instructor is asked to at least personally disclose the nature of the denouncement to any interested future teachers who may want to take in a denounced student.

Student ranks

Mages
    These are the students that have received their 18th rune and declared publicly (upon these walls) to have advanced to this rank by their instructor. Without declaration from said instructor, the student or students in question will still be considered of the former ranking. declared mage's may want to consider becoming tutors (at the digression of the students current instructor) for other academy students to help further their skill and understanding should they want to become instructors themselves.

Initiate-Adept
    The students that possess at least one rune and generally less then seventeen, or have passed the initiate's test. This is the stepping stone from being only a mere novice to becoming a powerful and wise mage. They are urged to follow classes and participate at all experiments conducted, as well as always displaying an excellent moral conduct to their younger colleagues and teachers. The sub title of Adept shall be granted by the instructor at whatever number of runes and knowledge they decide is personally acceptable for their students on an individual basis

Applicants
    The young student that possesses no runes, and little to none magical knowledge, is known as Novice. Applicants are allowed to use the academy ground to request and look for instruction from a master mage. Applicants are also urged to attend any open lectures held by instructors and to familiarize themselves with the content of the academy library.
All students are strongly advised to spend as much time as they can on Academy grounds since this would greatly increase chances to be noticed by a teacher.

Rank advancement
  • - From now on the rank advancement shall be at the digression of the instructor toward his or her own students and apprentices.

Rules and regulations
  • - Magic is not a toy. Treat it with care and do not abuse it. Those whom abuse there magic run the risk of losing access to further runes in the future, for as long as deemed necessary by consensus of the current instructors. In the most severe of cases confinement and the removal of runes may apply as punishment.

- The Academy is neutral territory used as a utility to allow for the furtherance of the arcane arts. As such all instructors, students and guests are expected to leave their personal squabbles and disagreements outside of the academy grounds. Violence enacted on the academy ground towards another will result in removal from the grounds and potential loss of access. This applies to EVERYONE.

- It is not the job of one instructor to punish the students of another. Should a student act poorly in the judgment of another instructor, report as such to their current teacher and allow him or her to act accordingly. Instructors are however permitted to remove students and guests from the ground should the action of these individuals become to disruptive or hostile.

- Personal disputes and affiliations outside of the academy should be handled outside of the academy alone. It is expected that fellow members of the academy try to solve all problems between each other in a civil manner, however it is understood that this will not always be the case. While physically upon academy grounds no externally motivated affairs should lead to violence against an instructor or peer. All disputes between academy members will be handled on a case by case basis to decide if further actions are needed.

The academy banner shall not be and should never be used as claim for hostile actions against the people of the isle. What an instructor and his or her apprentices choose to do outside of the ground is left in their own volition. Should you commit a crime punishable by the laws of another territory on Gobiath the academy will not protect you from receiving justice unless very good cause is given for believe in ones innocence of criminal behavior (such as being present on academy grounds at the time of said offense).

- Armed guests and or militant forces are not tolerated on the academy grounds. Should one come with the expectation of violence to the academy expect to be removed, by force if need be.

- Dangerous experiments are not to be conducted by inexperienced ones. Those that put the lives of others in danger, as well as their own. Serious offenses can lead to expulsion.

- The teaching room's magic word shall never be revealed to those incapable of declaring their agenda to all present members of the academy. No longer do the strict regulations that forbid some from teaching and others from not exist. As such you will not be turned away from the academy based upon any personal or political bias. This said it does not take very much effort to express your desire to instruct openly. It is expected that you at least give that much in return for use of the academy grounds.

- Declared mages (graduated students) are not instructors, and must apply for the rights to instruct just as all other mage's must do.

- All common rules of decency and politeness apply to all members, ranked or not, inside or outside the Academy walls.

Members

Academy Retainer:
Athian Corulas

----
Instructors:

Athian Corulas
William Erundas
Stefan Elvaris
Evie

Inactive Instructors:
Avalyon el'Hattar
Kyre
Alli Zelos
Orren Padick
Amarien von Varda
Verdazar
Roland Ross
Melodia Luyten
Brian Stubbs
Orioli
Whisper

-----
Declared Students:
Falk
Estaler
Vayne Dramm
Jaiyra
Vezaith
Gurk
Finkle
Merabra Xaslin
Celegail Na'Iree
Vikar Balraen

Declared Mages:

Asliendor
Brian Stubbs
Raina Narethil
Sky
Sasha Arannir
Orioli
Shandra
Evie
Ademar Taerell
William Erundas
Gabriel Swarze

---------------------

Subjects
  • - Magic Theory
    - Artificing
    - Necromancy
    - Blood Magic
    - Battle Magic and Tactics.
    - Elemental Magic
    - Field Experiments and Research
    - Magical Cultures and Sub sects
    - Illusion Magic
    - Creative Literature

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All applications for membership shall be pinned on these wall as follows:
Name:
-
Race:
-
Mage/Battlemage:
-

Subjects to be followed:
-
-
-

Old language ((german)) / New language ((english))
-

Personal remarks:
-
Athian

Re: The Magic Academy

Post by Athian »

Two Potential new instructors have shown interest in joining the academy. All current instructors will receive dove from me within the next dwarven day in regards to casting a vote for or against these teacher applicants. the voting time will be one dwarven week starting this day.

On a second note, all instructors please check the list of declared students, if you find one or more of your students missing from this list send their names to me so I might officially add them.

Athian Corulas
Acting Academy Retainer
Athian

Post by Athian »

I would like to Welcome Melodia Luyten and Stefan Elvaris to the Academy roster, based upon the counted votes of the council. They will be granted access to the academy grounds, and are free to begin holding lessons whenever they are ready. They will also be allowed to cast their votes amongst the rest of the acting council in affairs pertaining to the Academy

The vote tally was as follows

Melodia Luyten:
For: IIII
Against:
Abstain: II

With one absentee votes

Stefan Elvaris:
For: IIII
Against:
Abstain: II

With one absentee votes

-----

In light of a new situation involving an assault and attempted murder upon student Sasha Arannir by fellow student and classmate Celdea Luyten I must ask for the council of my peers to discuss the nature of the claims. I shall inform all present instructors of the details involved in this situation, as Celdea had herself petitioned for the rights to instruct at the academy. As both involved parties are my students, personal reprimand shall be dealt by myself, as is my right as their teacher.

Athian Corulas
Academy Retainer
Alexander Knight

Post by Alexander Knight »

Name:
-Alexander Knight.

Race:
-Human.

Mage/Battlemage:
-Battlemage.

Subjects to be followed:
- If possible I would like to try my hand at most subjects.

- I speak new language.

Personal remarks:
- I have been on this isle for many years now and have met a great deal of people. Speaking to some, my knowledge grew and along with it my curiosity.
I wish to test myself with magic, some have told me that I may be capible of casting.
Kiwimcb

Post by Kiwimcb »

Name:
-Nar Eik
Race:
-Human
Mage/Battlemage:
-Mage

Subjects to be followed:
-Magic Theory
-Blood Magic
-Battle Magic and Tactics.
-Elemental Magic
-Illusion Magic

-New language

Personal remarks:
- I have always been interested in Magic and wish to learn as much as i can to increase my knowledge and understanding of the world
Maeglin Telemmaite

Post by Maeglin Telemmaite »

Name:
-Ssaron Klawtail
Race:
-Lizardman
Mage/Battlemage:
-mage

Subjects to be followed:
- - Magic Theory
- Artificing
- Necromancy
- Blood Magic
- Elemental Magic
- Illusion Magic
- Creative Literature

-new language

Personal remarks:
- I am the High priest of Zzyathis and wish to learn magics to further become in depth and involved in the world as a whole knowing magic is tied in with everything. I think it will give me a better understanding of the world and of life in itself.
Athian

Post by Athian »

The Shamanic apprentice Zilla will no longer be taught at the academy and his name struck from the list. I will send the details of his actions out amongst the current instructors so that we may cast a vote upon the potential continuation of his learning. Until the time this vote has passed runes are not to be taught to this orc by instructors of the academy nor is he to be brought to academy ground. Violation of this will be treated harshly. I would also like to convene council upon the future of all orc shamanic applicants. I shall include all these matters in letter.

Athian Corulas
Academy Retainer
Copper Dragon

Post by Copper Dragon »

A note is left in a flowing handwriting. Due to the fact that Fineas can not write common, I am posting his words for him.

Name: Fineas

Race: Fae/Wichtel

Mage/Battlemage: Mage

Subjects to be followed.
- Magic Theory
- Artificing
- Teleporting
- Healing
- Ritual magic

Old/New: New but can speak old.

Personal remarks:
- I come from a race that magical ability is common. Due to my age I had not began studies and there was an incident with a magical item and a teleporter that brough me to the island. The item was lost so I wish to be trained so I may eventually return home.
Athian

Post by Athian »

A new applicant has expressed an interest in joining the academy as an instructor. A shall send ballots to all current instructors in regards to this new applicant in the coming day.

Concerning the ballots on training orcish shamens. Option one of the ballot has passed with a majority vote of five, orcen students will not be taken if they are members of an existing tribe. They may still be taken on so long as they do not make ties with any tribe until the end of their teachings. However if an instructor honestly believes they are able to handle such a task they can of course bring up the applicant amongst the rest of our council and we can decide if the particular case merits reconsideration.

The vote concerning the resent activities of the apprentice Zilla has passed with a majority vote of five. The student will be expelled from the academy roster and is not longer to be given instruction by any members of the academy, nor will any unaffiliated mage be tolerated using our building or materials in his instruction. Needless to say, this is a communal vote amongst we members of the academy. I expect that all know better then to violate that which has been decided in fairness.

Lastly, it has been reported to me that the orc Slug'nar has begun making attacks on students of mine. All students are of course allowed to defend themselves if they need too. This orc's actions are unacceptable, he tries to take vengeance against myself for my part in the incidents involving himself and Zilla. Harming our students however cannot be tolerated, they played no part in the drama of that evening. I will make an attempt to contact the orcen chieftain in regard to this matter, if the orc's support him and his continued actions against the academy then i feel we may have to convene council to make decisions upon whether or not we must drive the orc's down in there entirety in order to insure the safety of our apprentices. Whatever vote passes in light of a threat against our organization i will accept, though I myself and willing to admit that these actions anger me greatly. As I hold bias toward the situation present, should council be convened i shall forgo my vote and only present evidence as to the actions of the orc Slug'nar or the tribe should they assist him.

I beg the pardon of my associates for these personal matters falling upon the heads of our students

Athian Corulas
Academy Retainer.
Sir Gnar

Post by Sir Gnar »

- The parchment here seems to have been torn down from it's resting place -
Kayden

Post by Kayden »

Name:
- Kayden
Race:
- Elf
Mage/Battlemage:
- Mage

Subjects to be followed:
- I wish to be taught everything, at my teachers pace.

- New language

Personal remarks: Being a mage just seems right for me. I wanna help people with there needs and if it comes to it protect myself.
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Mage Student/Magier Studenten
Kyre pins a parchment at the furthest bookcase in the library of the Academy avoiding the board altogether, one is also pinned on an obscure tree between the Lighthouse and the Grey Rose, on a strange door leading nowhere at the goblins, and near unexplained lights traveling to Greenbriar. Only those that explore and venture around the island are likely to stumble across any.

I will take one beginning slave this word is crossed out mage student The more I know in the application, the better chance you have. Do not send a parchment by rat, it may not survive.

I don't care what language you speak...I speak the new language, elven and ancient. If you speak something different have a translator with you. Payment for teaching will be required in the form of assistance with some of my experiments.

The parchment is signed

Kyre

Suddenly letters appear at the bottom.

Position filled.
Adronfront

Post by Adronfront »

Name:
- William Erundas

Race:
- Human

Mage/Battlemage:
- Mage

Subjects to be followed:
- Whatever the witch wants

- Both

Personal remarks:
- I found a teacher already
Athian

Post by Athian »

A ballot shall be sent out in the coming day, in regards to another instructor applicant. As per usually the voting period will be one dwarven week from the day the ballot is received, barring of course a majority vote if it is reached before the end of the voting period.

Athian corulas
Academy Retainer
Athian

Post by Athian »

Alli Zelos will be joining us as an academy instructor.

Of the ballots sent four were returned and the remainder were not responded to. All four votes were in favor, so i will rule no contest and allow her to begin teaching when she is ready, if there are any concerns or problems with this arrangement please contact me promptly.

Athian Corulas
Academy Retainer
Athian

Post by Athian »

Raina Narethil has completed all her required training under myself and shown sufficient knowledge in the magical arts and general manner, tact and responsibilities. I decalre Raina's Studies complete and declare her a graduated mage. She will retain her membership with the academy unless she herself chooses to relinquish this, she may also at her digression choose to apply for the right to teach at the academy.

Congratulations to Raina Narethil

Athian Corulas
Rhombus

Post by Rhombus »

Name:
- Nazrudin
Race:
- Elf
Mage/Battlemage:
- Mage

Subjects to be followed:
- Magic Theory
- Elemental Magic
- Battle Magic and Tactics

- New language

Personal remarks:
I desire to learn how to manifest and control the magical ability which I have come to realize is a part of me. I seek not only to benefit myself through my studies, but to also aid other people, especially this academy and my instructor. I thank you for looking into this application. May the Five Bless you.
zda

Post by zda »

*brian may be seen placing a letter on the academy board the hand writing looks like that of whispers*
all of my lesson will be postponed untill further notice.

Master Whisper
((his hdd messed up and he is working on getting it fixed))
Blueskip

Post by Blueskip »

Name:
-Ethan Blueskip

Race:
-Halfling

Mage/Battlemage:
-Mage

Subjects to be followed:
-I'm an eager student wishing to learn all that I can.

-New language

Personal remarks:
-I've always been very intrigued by the art of magic. I am a student of many things, but first and foremost, a student of life. The more I know, the more I wish to learn.
HeXiS

Post by HeXiS »

I, Whisper, do now release Brian Stubbs from my roles as a student. He has passed his exams and graduated from my teaching.. he is now a mage.. Gods help us all.

i would also like to mention that I will not be taking new students untill i have finished the training of my current role. i will still however teach runes to those who can suply a note from their teachers. should they need a runes their teacher can not supply.

~Whisper~
Professor of Rune Lore and Applied Magic
Athian

Post by Athian »

Celdea Luyten is removed from the academy list at her request, as such she is not allowed to instruct via the academy teaching room, until a time when she re-applies for membership.

All students who are Absent from the isle will be removed from the academy roster.
instructors who have taken on new students report them to me in the coming day so that i might add them to the list; any student removed from the list that are still present contact me.

Absent instructors will be treated in this same manner.

Removed members:
Vaynne Dramm
Tavis
Xerek
Alisendore
Frey

Kyre

Post by Kyre »

A raven flying over the Academy drops a parchment not stopping on it's way toward the sea.

I have been unexpectedly delayed hopefully for just 5-6 weeks if my studies can reveal the ritual to remove the current hex. There may be a couple of older parchments absent from the Academy, be assured they will be returned.

Kyre
Sirith-Rym

Post by Sirith-Rym »

I would like to return to my studies if possible. If Master Roland would be willing to take me back, of course. Sorry for my absence, it was unintentional.

And if Master Roland will not have me back, I suppose I will be looking for a new teacher.

Sincerely,
Asliendor
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

Name: Tiyron Trill Talltalker
-
Race: Halfling
-
-
-
Mage/Battlemage: Mage, battle, not so much
-

Subjects to be followed:
- Magic Theory
-Elemental Magic
-Field Experiments and Research
-Creative Literature
-Illusion Magic

Old language / New language
-New language

Personal remarks: Personally, I'd say any teacher with the ability to teach a Halfling deserves extra credit, knowing my race and all. Also, the head of the Halflings clan here said my abilities are well enough, and that my trouble lay in finding a teacher.
-
Adam McKing

Post by Adam McKing »

Name: Dhazmia.
-
Race: Elvish.
-
-
-
Mage/Battlemage: Mage.
-

Subjects to be followed:
- Magic Theory
- Artificing
- Necromancy
- Blood Magic
- Elemental Magic
- Illusion Magic
- Creative Literature

-

Personal remarks: Eager and willing to perform at the highest level.
HeXiS

Post by HeXiS »

* an elf wanders up to the academy board and places a short note upon it*

Sky's work has proven in the last eve to earn him to Title of Mage. May he hold his head high and rejoice in his new found prestige.

~Whisper~
Professor of Rune Lore and Applied Magic
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

The small little Halfling of before seems to have been waiting up a tree, how he climbed it without fainting from the height; shall forever be a mystery. He scrambles down the tree as the Elfess leaves the note, and like before; pulls out his own writing tools and gets to work copying her words. He once more disappears for an hour of two, but comes back none the less with a pouch that clinks with what could only be coins of some kind:

"Coh, this ones loaded! "

As before, he hammers a note into place on the school wall, whistling as he does before heading back to his tree. The piece of parchment itself smells of a foul stink. A few wet and foul smelling, patches on the parchment suggest something dripped onto said parchment during the time it was being written.
Ahh Elfess, when I was brought this in the hospital; I didn't know whether to laugh or just burn the note. But alas, here I am once more; perhaps it's due to my commitment to truth, unlike some. Let me ask, Elf. Would you happily stop for a Nordjai, one who already threatened to end your life? Would you wish to be in their presence? I think it unlikely, because you wouldn't trust their motives; just like how I distrust the little would-be killer you'll so happily defend.

Though again, if an Orc, looking for a new ear necklace; was to ask you too stop for a chat... Would you? If you say yes, you're lying. If you say no, you wouldn't be in their presence for more than you could it. You'd be just like me in regards to this foul Human. You say I ran, and indeed I did. Want to know why, my apparent simple Elvish friend? The moment I started walking out of the library, I was assaulted with by your witches mouth. Any form of spell casting on my person shall be treated as assault; and at that point, I shouldn't have to suffer such things whilst you two buffons try to act high and mighty after breaking the very rules of the academy.

Yes, that's right my dear:
" The Academy is neutral territory used as a utility to allow for the furtherance of the arcane arts. As such all instructors, students and guests are expected to leave their personal squabbles and disagreements outside of the academy grounds. Violence enacted on the academy ground towards another will result in removal from the grounds and potential loss of access. This applies to EVERYONE. "

Not once did I lift a finger to you, not once did I utter threats to yous. But Elara only knows how many times your little lover descended on her attacks via her runes. Did you once stop her? Did you once remind her of the rules? No, you didn't; therefore I see no reason why I should ever trust your words, when you can't or openly wont make sure innocents aren't wrongfully attacked.

I find it laughable that you speak of talking truth, when I've openly stated I'll go through any test, beit Bragon's flames or the Milk-spillers realm to prove my innocence. What do you people say when the same is asked:

" Oh, he ran when we cast spells on him, before asking him to stop to speak, therefore he's guilty! "

And simply because I love flaunting the fact that I know your rules, better than you:

"Personal disputes and affiliations outside of the academy should be handled outside of the academy alone. It is expected that fellow members of the academy try to solve all problems between each other in a civil manner, however it is understood that this will not always be the case. While physically upon academy grounds no externally motivated affairs should lead to violence against an instructor or peer. All disputes between academy members will be handled on a case by case basis to decide if further actions are needed."

So you see, oh silly Elf. The moment you allowed that Human cast on me, is the moment you broke the rule above as well, because her vendetta is clearly a personal one to protect herself from the truth spreading; and you helped her by not stopping the assault on my being.

But as it were, I offer the challenge once again to clear my name:

I put a challenge out to the lying, Human that is Sasha Arannir. I'll have a druid brew us a pair of potions - or a third party can do as such - that make's the tongue less tight when it comes to the truth, I think that would settle that matter quite quickly. If you refuse, I need say even less on this matter.

In good faith,
~Tiyron Trill Talltalker ~
Athian

Post by Athian »

IT seems many notations left upon the academy wall have been removed, never to be seen again

Raina, Sasha and applicant Tiyron are asked to report to me as soon as they are able to discuss this matter with which the walls have been formerly cluttered. This posting bard is not for personal squabbles but for offical announcements, you would all do well to remember this.

Athian Corulas
Academy Retainer
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

A reminder to students:

When practicing summoning spells, ensure that whatever beings you summon are REMOVED from the Academy grounds before you leave. I do not enjoy being attacked by bees and ogres.

Roland Ross
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

More parchments suddenly appear in Gobaith..near the bookcase in the library of the Academy, on trees in forests not easily traveled, and inside the small building at the harbor. One actually finds it's way to the Academy board.

I will take one more student, see my previous parchment.

Kyre