The Magic Academy

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Alli Zelos

Re: The Magic Academy

Post by Alli Zelos »

In the absence of Avalyon, I have taken on Virgil Lionell as my own student. May his fellow students welcome him.

Alli Zelos
themonk

Im looking for a master mage

Post by themonk »

Im looking for a master mage to teach me magic, I promise to be a good and respectful student returning knowlage for any errends or tasks given, to prove this i will give my new master a bottle of blessed irundar water...

NAME: Gurk

RACE: Lizardman (male)

CLASS: Battlemage (Basic knowlage of melee combat already skilled in)

SUBJECTS I WISH TO LEARN:
~ battle magic and tactics
~ teleportation
~ healing

PERSONAL INPUT: Ive been living on gobiath island for almost 2 years as a hunter now as a guard, ive asked the academy and certain masters for teaching some being ignored or told to return a year later, years on im still not any wiser in the magic arts, id be eternaly grateful if a master would read this and take me under there wing, i promise to be more of a blessing to my master than a burden... thank you

Sincerly Gurk
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

A message is posted on the lighthouse door, as well as on the Academy board.

I am now considering taking on more students. If you are interested, I suggest seeking me out. I will be teaching a wide variety of subjects to both potential magic users and scholars alike. Lessons will most certainly not be limited to rune magic.

To those interested:

Two more spots are available for students of magic. I will likely be taking only one, though I am by no means required to take any. These students will receive my full instruction, including both the application of rune magic and instruction on the Ancient language.

If you wish to learn of magic and similar subjects, but do not wish to learn--or cannot learn--the application of rune magic, there is still a place for you amongst my students. Feel free to speak to me for such an arrangement. Such students will not be applicable to learn the runes necessary for rune magic, nor will they be taught lessons concerning the Ancient language.

Alli Zelos
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Name: Evie

Race: Human

Mage/BattleMage: Mage

Subject: I want to learn everything

Personal Note: I am a hard worker and am very interested in learning magic
APassingStranger

Post by APassingStranger »

-The parchment is ripped off by a gust of wind and lost forever.-
Last edited by APassingStranger on Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

Caenyvin,

Your reservation is noted and appreciated; few recognize that they are not yet ready—though it is such a seemingly simple thing—and even fewer find the courage to admit it. I am sure I am not alone when I express my desire to get to know you, as well. Welcome to the Magic Academy, as a visitor if not yet a student.

Alli Zelos
MyNameHere

Post by MyNameHere »

A parchment with several small wine stains is posted on the board.

Greeting honoured mages of the academy, I would hereby like to submit my application to study magic under your guidance.

Name:
Mallaur Dentri

Race:
Human, last time I checked.

Mage/Battlemage:
The option where I need to move less.

Subjects to be followed:
My primary subjects of interest are magic theory, research and artificing. Not to forget creating wine and food.

Old language ((german)) / New language ((english))
I speak the new language, however I understand the old language fairly well.

Personal remarks:
I'll buy a round once I am accepted.
Olive

Post by Olive »

* tacked up to the academy wall by a young earth sprite*
In teh interest of scaring teh daylights out of the islands, and because she has learned to moderate her behaviro better, I hereby Declare Sasha to have completed her magical and ethical training and promote her to full mage.

~~Mel~~
Baelric Morgoth

Post by Baelric Morgoth »

Name:
-Baelric Morgoth

Race:
-Elf

-Roughly 2,000 years, give or take a century or two.

Mage/Battlemage:
-Mage

Subjects to be followed:
--Magic Theory
- Artificing
- Necromancy
- Blood Magic
- Battle Magic and Tactics.
- Elemental Magic
- Field Experiments and Research
- Magical Cultures and Sub sects
- Illusion Magic

- I speak the New language.

Personal remarks:
I suppose I could open one of the many well-worn tomes found in any of the libraries scattered throughout these lands and find a plausible excuse for my desire to learn magic from your esteemed Academy, but I shall not. I am quite sure that you have already heard these reasons many times over. I have my own reasons for expanding my knowledge and they shall remain mine until a time I see fit to share. Just know that I am fully dedicated to learning all that you are able to teach me. In return, I will offer my time and services for the betterment of the Academy.
Silo

Post by Silo »

Notes recently placed upon the boards appear to have been removed by hand
Nimueh

Post by Nimueh »

Name:
Ceadmon
Race:
Elf

Mage/Battlemage:
Mage

Subjects to be followed:
Elemental Magic
Battle Magic and Tactics
Illusion Magic

New language

Personal remarks:
I have always wished to study magic, I can feel it running in my blood. This is the best opportunity to come to me in my long life.
Last edited by Nimueh on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

Any students who are interested in learning Magic, I will be accepting a single new student.
Contact me if you are interested.

~Roland Ross~
Timon

Post by Timon »

Athian wrote: Name:
-Solomon Kratz
Race:
-human
Mage/Battlemage:
-mage

Subjects to be followed:
- Battle Magic and Tactics
- Elemental Magic
- Illusion Magic
- Necromancy

-only old language

Personal remarks:
-
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Mage Student/Magier Studenten
Kyre takes a parchment from the Lighthouse wall and points her wand at it as the old faded letters again become new. Reading over the changes in a couple of words, she nods in satisfaction before disappearing in a portal.

I will take a second beginning apprentice but only if they dare explore Gobaith enough to read this parchment. The more I know in the application, the better chance you have. Do not send a parchment by rat, it may not survive the fire.

I don't care what language you speak...I speak the new language, elven and ancient. If you speak something different have a translator with you. Payment for teaching will be required in the form of assistance with some of my experiments.

The parchment is signed

Kyre
Shakgul

Post by Shakgul »

An orc walks up to the Academy walls and grunts as he tacks a piece of parchment their. Upon the parchment the following seems to be written in dried blood.
Name: Shakgul

Race: Orc

Mage/Battlemage: Shaman

Subjects to be followed:
- Blood Magic
- Necromancy
- Field Experiments and Research
- Anyding else dat wud please dah Teacher.

- New Language

Personal remarks:
- Me nub pard ob dha clan.
Claidheahm

Post by Claidheahm »

Name:
- Aiden Soluis
Race:
- Elf
Mage/Battlemage:
- Mage

Subjects to be followed:
- Magic Theory
- Artificing
- Elemental magic
- Battle Magic and Tactics
- Blood Magic

- New Language

Personal remarks:
- I would be interested in learing about the magic of this land.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

Upon entering the Academy, you see a rather large, pompous parchment, neatly written with large, rounded letters, pinned on the announcement board.

To all students, mages and arcane seekers, alike.
I, Archmage el'Hattarr, have recently returned from a long voyage on the mainland, and I must say that my arrival could not be at a more troubled time.
This once noble institution, has sunk so low into it's own filth, that not even the sunlight can reach it. Rogue mages teaching lightly any feeble minded fool they find, idiots summoning creatures with total disregard for other mages safety, ill intended non-mages that enter the academy grounds at their own free will, harassing our students.. and the list can endlessly continue.

I hereby promise to make it my personal goal to erradicate this type of behaviour and reform the Academy into the once great institution that it was. For the time being, the rules shall remain the same, but much will change very soon, with the promise that the school will remain open for all that wish to learn.

I thank Athain Corulas for his tierless service that he has broght to this organisation and his perseveration and excellent leadership that has kept it open while I was away. May you show him the same respect now, as in the time of his command.

~ Archmage el`Hattarr

A small piece of parchment is pinned under this one:
There seems to be a note lying near the inside of the main gates. It looks hastily written, and has drops of blood on it.

Help! Came to visit the Academy, attacked by insects and ogres. I don't think I can make it out. I will find a place to hold up. Not sure if I will make it.

-Aiden
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

Kyre reads the last post shaking her head with a chuckle and points her hand as a parchment suddenly appears with blood red writing on it:

Upstart, read the first parchment: "Academy Retainer:Athian Corulas" means approved by all teachers. If you desire to teach, it will be voted on like we have established.

Kyre
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Interesting logic.
You are of course welcome to meet me in person to discuss your insatisfaction of the current situation. I promise that all of your complains will be taken into careful consideration and happly shoved down your throat.

This is the current situation, take it as you will. The chaos that rules over this institution ends now.

~ Archmage el'Hattarr
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

A more structured Academy is something I have little doubt we all seek. However, I believe I speak for all when I say that we would rather put our faith in someone who has not left the Academy in disrepair, but has tried to raise it from another's abandonment. You did this once, Avalyon, but then you cast the Academy aside just like so many others.

While I must agree with Avalyon's opinion of things, and I feel things should change, I cannot support him for a position of leadership. Especially when he does not ask it, but demands it. Arrogance is a well known trait of mages; perhaps it is time for us to set aside this standard and realize that we are not all-powerful.

Alli Zelos
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

*A note is simply written under the ohter parchment*

I believe the 'high circle' syystem isnt a bad system. Surely it only fits if the members are and stay active. Maybe you should think about a new leadership like this

~Celdea
Athian

Post by Athian »

I do not recall giving you permission to reclaim the academy Avaylon, I'm not your place holder and I would suggest very seriously that you don't attempt to overstep in without consulting me with more then a letter. Now, lets not speak any nonsense. Chaos at the academy...Hardly. There are specific reasons why changes were made to that sloppy mess of a system last time. There is currently nothing wrong with the academy nor its structure, and that in itself is part of the design of the open system. The academy is only as active as its instructors make it. Furthermore no exclusion occurs due to a single person leaving or becoming inactive due to secret passwords, locks and unchangeable personal opinions about those whom wish to teach or those whom wish to learn. This does not always bring about pure quality of student, but i can guarantee that half those presently allowed to use the tools the academy provides would not have been allowed so in the prior system, where once the 'high circle' goes inactive, one member assumes all power and responsibility. Rather then that i only asked a simple thing of you all; take care of yourselves. We all have different methods, different agendas and differences of opinions. All those teaching currently, have never been shirked the right to make any formal discontent known. Yet i find very few written complaints ever reach me, and that in itself is because instructors are no longer held responsible for events they have no control over. Nor are they asked to jump through hoops to impress any single impassible opinion. The days when being head of the academy provides sovereign right to decide whom may use the facility are never going to return. People of course carve anything that 'looks' like structure but at the same time they become irate when that structure impedes upon there individual goals.

At the moment every instructor has the right to make complaint, set votes and call for council if there is something they do not agree with or something that they want changed. simply because none exercise those rights does not mean the system isn't working for the people. It means the people are not working with the system. Now if anyone wants to change the structure of the academy you know where to reach me. I'm not against someone else taking over leadership however we will decide this using the same open system that is currently in place. Anyone should feel free to call council with their peers to discuss changes desired and if needed a vote is required then one of course can be cast.

Athian Corulas
Academy Retainer
Raina Narethil

Post by Raina Narethil »

As the form of an elfess walks by she reads the parchments on the walls a smirk comes to her lips as she adds a new parchment.

* This comes from the person I talked to and asked for a vote only to be told I forgot to cast your vote to the other teachers. Then all alone you decided I was not going to be a teacher without even sending a vote out to get the other teachers reactions. Careful how you chose your words Athian they do come back to bite nastily in the end.

Raina*
zda

Post by zda »

Raina Narethil wrote:As the form of an elfess walks by she reads the parchments on the walls a smirk comes to her lips as she adds a new parchment.

* This comes from the person I talked to and asked for a vote only to be told I forgot to cast your vote to the other teachers. Then all alone you decided I was not going to be a teacher without even sending a vote out to get the other teachers reactions. Careful how you chose your words Athian they do come back to bite nastily in the end.

Raina*
ditto, verbatim

Brian
Po Will

Post by Po Will »

I find it laughable that you morons would even entertain allowing this mage el'Hattarr back, after he attacks Bane.
I find it even more laughable that you wonder why you pair of morons wouldn't be allowed to be teachers.
Use logic, fools, and you'll see why you don't deserve the right to teach.

~Common sense in Written Form ~
Alli Zelos

Post by Alli Zelos »

A small note is pinned beside Raina's.

Raina,

I must point out that this system of voting is for use by current teachers, not students or mages. I would also like to mention that an instructor is solely responsible for their student. They can withhold runes, as well as titles, as they see fit. It is a teacher's responsibility to be sure their student is progressing appropriately.

Because of this, it is also appropriate for a teacher's words to hold more weight with a graduated student of theirs. If they do not feel their former student ready, then their judgement is, by all means, the most knowledgeable and by that very reason, the most logical. Who knows a student better than their teacher?

If you continue to believe you have been wronged, it would be far wiser to alert those who have the ability to change it, rather than interject snide comments when the opportunity arises. Such will not help your cause, but lose what ever respect you still retain.

Alli Zelos
Athian

Post by Athian »

I will not say that I'm always immediately prompt with these student votes. Most of your teachers hardly ever show themselves, so keeping eyes on all of you can be quite the strain. Sometimes even i must be reminded of a task i've to do but in these cases i can speak

I did no such thing Raina, however if you want to discuss in detail these implications then i would be glad to do so. The reason why your vote was not cast in the very end is because nearly every time I turned around there was a complaint about your involvement in some issue concerning yourself and another student with whom you shared a a common bond. I was forced to spend more time investigating the things you supposedly did and trying to root out the truth in the involvement of these matters more then anything else I've had to do in the academy. I do not speak this lightly, any other time in history you would have been thrown out of the academy and never allowed to set foot in it again. Between yourself and this friend I shall not name, your agendas have made up the vast majority of the work I've had to do. I never decided that you could not be an instructor, I merely put you on a temporary hold during the last time someone came to me with a complaint that you and your friend had turned some violent magic against them. If you recall the incident on academy grounds that involved a halfing. If you did not forget this is not the first time a halfing was attacked in your 'presence' as i recall one was slain so that you and your friend could share some intimacy in a public place. I could go on with a veritable list of complaints all of which I've had to check over and over again.

By the time the issue had been sorted out you had already left the academy. You never once considered the implications of your constant involvement in the troubles you found yourself in. All of you whom caused undo trouble always seemed to think that the things you did and the accusations you have taken over your learning periods would simply be forgotten and not taken into consequence. To the contrary, ever time you are found doing ill, or being involved in scandal after scandal it slows the process down to a snails pace. How many times did you think you would get a free pass using excuses like "I was there but i did not do it." when you present at multiple altercations? Would you have had me send your ballots while being suspected of assaults or murders? Of course you would have; honestly book wise you are one of the brightest students we've had in a long time but when it comes to simple social grace and understanding you are reminiscent of a toddler. Someone like yourself would probably have never been taught in the first place in the old system, out of sheer dislike for your haphazard character. If you don't believe me then check the old names and tombs and see just how many were rejected entirely for ill personality traits or simply pissing off the current head master.

Brian, your vote has been cast twice since. If you'd like to see the original parchment then i will send it to you. In your case people viewed you as irresponsible and voted you down. This is no real fault of your own, but rather it stems from personal opinion built upon yourself and your instructor during your learning phase. I have copies of the parchments of the ballot sent if you want it. I can keep casting votes over and over and the results will never change unless you make an effort to change peoples opinions of you. I've already told you this several times myself but somehow the words always seemed to fall on deaf ears. If you desire i will again cast a vote for you, but I start to think that there needs to be limitation on the number of times that one can apply.

I am not your instructor Brian. you could always have asked instructor whisper to speak up for you. He has never been barred from giving his opinion or calling for a meeting in which to express it, nor actually have you yourself Brian ever been stopped from seeking audience to plead your case. Perhaps you should give this a try. If you take the reigns into your own hands then perhaps you can steer the course. It is a better option then getting upset when you reach the wrong destination. Lastly I feel i need to say that teaching is not the end step of all learned students, some of you will be accepted as teachers and others will not, that is simply the way of the world. You do not have the divine right to demand to teach but you do have the opportunity. It was foolish of many of you to reflect upon your own actions only once you reached the point where you were able to teach thinking that past actions would hold no merit.

Athian Corulas
Avalyon el'Hattarr

Greetings,

Please forgive my delayed response, I have been cought with other matters.
Athian, you know that besides appearances, I have always wanted only the best for this institution and for the future of magic all together. The only difference between the two of us is my strict criteria of selection of those deemed worthy to study magic. You know as well as I, that magic is not a right, but a priviledge.

However, about the current Academy matter, assuming that Athian went inactive, it was only a natural response from my part, who has just returned, to reassume my role as leader.
I understand your reluctance to have a leader for the whole institution, but as I see it now, this is the only way to restore the lost prestige that this Academy once had, for we need to work together, not each for their own.
I do not wish to force myself as a leader, since this will not work in the interest of the Academy, as progress would not be only hindered, but stopped, and I shall not have mages fighting other mages. We are superiour beings and every drop of blood spilled between us, is a waste to the universe.
If you want me to be just a teacher, I shall indeed respect the decision of the majority and be just a teacher, until the day where my leadership shall again be required.

~ Archmage el'Hattarr
Athian

Post by Athian »

Those who spend to much time worrying over vanity tend to be the least effective at there tasks. Prestige is just another form of vanity and utterly useless as far as I am concerned. With it comes a myriad of unneeded aspects such as elitism, intolerance, condemnation and domination. We all have our own methods of teaching and i think none of us need another of our peers telling us what we will and will not do with our students. As such the academy does not need a true leader to uphold his of her own standards but rather a council form which a mutually acceptable standards can be formed. Policy can always be changed so long as flexibility remains to allow the change to occur. The role Archmage's died in part because it was inflexibility, something none of us need again.

As to your petition to become an instructor Avalyon, i will put this to the ballot. Methods aside you have proven your capacity to pass on your knowledge to others in an effective manner. Thus I see no reason to bar you from making a bid to join the academy. When the results are finalized i shall let you know. If you wish to make changed to the academies policies then joining the ranks as an equal is the first step in the proper direction.

Athian Corulas
academy Retainer
Evan Ross

Post by Evan Ross »

To all perspective students,
I am available for the day to interview any of you who wish to learn magic under me. If you are interested in meeting with me to discuss you application, please send me a dove or leave a notice on these boards. I will contact you with my location.

To all perspective teachers,
I shall from here on vote "No" with regards to your applications unless you meet me in person prior to your vote. You may meet with me the same way as above.

~Roland