Open Letters to the Free Peoples of Bane

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Elijah

Open Letters to the Free Peoples of Bane

Post by Elijah »

Around Troll's Bane and as far as Greenbriar, a small bundle of parchments are placed throughout.

Be greeted citizens of Bane,

This is the first of my letters detailing my infiltration of the group known collectively as the Temple. It was quite simple to join their ranks, though be it at a distance. They just saw me a powerful tool to be used as they pleased, and approached me. It is quite long and becomes dry at points, but the information within is needed in such a shrewd climate that engulfs our island.

• Personal information within ranges from the 13th of Elos, year 31 to the 9th of Ushos, year 32.
Throughout my entire reign as Governor of Troll's Bane, many rumours were spread about my supposed tolerance, alliance, and even membership of the group known as the Temple. These rumours were not unfounded. In fact, they were entirely true. Edric came to me in my formative months on this island, and discussed with me the possibility of infiltrating this dark order. He was stricken with nervousness and had the feeling that the Temple was ready to remove him from power. I was reluctant at first, thinking these petty allegations of the temple were unfounded.

Like many, I was unconvinced as to the true nature of the Temple at first. 'They are evil', we are told, 'they have bonded themselves to the Blood-God.'But we never hear of their true actions. We are expected to fight against them, simply because another claims them to be evil. I was as hesitant to believe these unfounded claims as the next person, until Edric recounted a series of events to me. Edric had befriended, or at least become familiar with, the man by the name of Aelorn. To Edric's surprise and then horror, he was to learn that it was in fact an elf, not human as he appeared, who spoke with him. The elf's tale is well known to many. To those unfamiliar with the tale, it is as follows:

It is no secret that the men of the Northmark hold a strong hatred for the elvenkind. At the time of these events, the Northmarkers were fond of displaying a gruesome set of trophies upon their walls: elven skulls. All would agree that such actions are worthy of punishment. But the Temple's response was to defy belief.

Two Templars, Joxia and Dain, arrived upon Vanima, presumably with the intention of taking the first elf they laid eyes upon. Aelorn was not particularly special in any manner, he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Temple members threatened the elf, and then kidnapped him, forcing him back to their home in Hellbriar. There, he was imprisoned, treated like an animal. Unknown to Aelorn at the time, members of the Temple had also traveled to the Northmark. There, they found three of the Jarl's children, and stole a lock of hair from each one.

Eventually, Aelorn was called into a chamber, where many members of the Temple awaited him. In that room, a sadistic ritual was to take place. Aelorn was tortured, and his blood drained into a bowl. Into that bowl were placed the hairs of the Jarl's children. The Templars used their twisted magic upon the bowl's contents, transforming it into a potion of some form. They then forced Aelorn to drink the mixture, made of his own blood. Once he had consumed the potion, Aelorn was horrified to realise that he had taken the form of a human. And though they could not see them, the Templars knew that the Jarl's children had taken the form of the elves which he so strongly despised.

I do not think there are any who would condone the actions of the Jarl and his Northmark. But the actions of the Temple were abhorrent. Perhaps they hoped that the Jarl would see his children and slay them upon the spot, I do not know. Perhaps they wanted to laugh at the sight of his children's skulls alongside those upon the wall. But to punish the children of your enemy, and an uninvolved stranger, is to commit the darkest of crimes.

If you find my accounts of this story to be absurd, please refer to Joxia's latest parchment under the war column. She openly admits to it.

Because of this shocking story and seeing as how I was in need of coin and perhaps adventure, I reluctantly agreed. Before this parchment is the witness to gasps and people walking off in disgust, let me start by telling you that I was never a full member of the order, nor was I a worshiper of Moshran. I can say with utmost certainty that the worship of Moshran is still a major theme within the guild, and the only reason I was not allowed into the direct inner circles of the guild was because of a personal reservation against it. My first task was to make myself the magistrate of Troll's Bane. They told me by doing this, I'd be able to influence Edric's moves, instead of replacing him altogether.

I was a close friend of his, so I relayed this task to Mister Galthor and he graciously accepted. He was a willing partner, but unfortunately only aided his death. My task was to become the Magistrate, not so that I could influence Mister Edric, but so that I would be the next in line to become Governor. The very next dwarven day, Mister Galthor was assassinated by the known Temple member Aeris. Edric's last words to me were, "Mister Varrin, make sure they do not take control of the town."

Of course, any sane man would have went public and openly declared his predicament. However, despite multiple attempts at taking Bane, multiple failures, and multiple ignorant episodes of power grabbing.. I knew the Temple could survive just about anything. Instead, I became a willing component of the Temple machine, a vital cog in their wheel. My philosophy was one of silent defiance. I would stay steadfast and prevent a majority of their policies from going through.

I could not prevent the Academy from beginning part of the town. I could not prevent the formation of an Army. I could not prevent tyrannical jailing. However, I could prevent a return to a dreaded noble system, and I could prevent using that Army in aggressive warfare. On the outside I was the perfect example of failure. I failed at most things. But I didn't fail at preventing the Temple from having power for nine dwarven months I was in power, for if I was as willing as I could have been, much more damage would have been done.

The Temple's plans have always been to use the town as a battering ram against its enemies, with little regard to the safety and well being of its populace. Any argument to the contrary is plain wrong.

I wish to ask of you, my dear citizens of Troll's Bane for forgiveness for my actions. I wish to also ask you to look over this information I have presented to you and tell me who is the real threat to the safety and well being of Troll's Bane.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Last edited by Elijah on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah

Re: Open Letters to the Free Peoples of Bane

Post by Elijah »

• Personal information within ranges in date from the 6th of Naras, year 32 to the 13th of Zhas, year 33.

Now that you are aware of the true happenings behind closed curtains the past few months, I shall grievously sit about discussing with you what has happened recently. The most repeated question that I have answered the past weeks has been, "Mister Varrin, why did you give power to Joxia if you are such a staunch critic?" The simple answer was, I took the quiet route once more. Why risk going to war with the Bearers and perhaps even giving them reason to control the town, when I can quietly exit out the back door with a key? That's precisely what I did.

Except, it was the quiet exit of a man scared for his own life. My associates told me of Joxia's plan to violently overthrow me, and I took these allegations to a man high in the Temple. For the sake of the argument his name begins with the letter "V". He didn't deny these charges and told me that an affiliate of the Temple, I was expected to comply. An ultimatum of a day was set, and if I did not peacefully step down, I'd end up in a gutter with a dagger concealed neatly in my back. So, I stepped down.

I figured I would peacefully retire, and peacefully support those who did not support this Temple. I fully expected Joxia Doral to continue her antics where she left off by attempting to do something I had refused to do. Aggressively take other territories on the island and make herself Archduchess, thereby making the town of Troll's Bane a threat to outside forces and a melting pot of little freedom.

I didn't expect her to be so bold, and quite frankly so ignorant.

I was pushed to action after she blatantly broke her own laws, and went as far as implementing me in one of her own crimes. She hired Mister Colin Smalls (aka Daniel Greenriver) to burn down the woods of Vanima. This move was done simply to gain support from Tol Vanima for her capture and execution of the criminal. I was briefly implicated as the man who paid Colin for these crimes, but I dismissed those rumors by stating the obvious. Smalls was Mr. Black, the man who kidnapped my daughter and a crazed lunatic.

At his trial, he was convicted with quite an ignorant degree of legalities (something near 150 counts of manslaughter). In the most overtly witless display of theatrical performances I've seen, Mister Smalls committed suicide. It didn't take much digging to find out that Lady Doral paid a local druid for a poison to simulate death. You might say, "That Mister Varrin is simply making this story up! He is surely in bed with the Bearers!"

Go ahead and believe that. But before you do, ask Lady Doral yourself what happened to the body of Colin Smalls. It is typical procedure to lob off the head of someone who has committed suicide in order to prevent death by the hands of his enemies. Is it not also common to have a witness at the burial of someone who could have easily drank a known potion? Ask Joxia where the body is, and should you have the courage, dig up the grave. I can guarantee you no body resides there, and should there by one, it is not of Colin Smalls.

I also have a first hand account of Joxia's claims that the Bearers held her against her will in Troll's Bane. This account, and general knowledge of the way things go, can easily attest to the fact it was fabricated. My position in the Temple told me this as well. She was given three dwarven days or there would be an attack. People of Troll's Bane, unclog your minds from the months of suppression I dealt to you. If you make a demand such as that, you are doing so knowing very well the leader in question will relay that message to her citizens. You know very well that she will conjure up a war effort in order to defend against an attack. Yet, was there an attack? No. It wasn't because the Bearers shat themselves believing there would an actual crop of defenders, it was because it was a fabricated account in order to stir up hatred towards these Bearers.

In conclusion, I've found knowledge without a doubt that Joxia is still an active worshiper of Moshran. It wasn't long ago that a majority of the current temple members were bowing down to Netharia, including Joxia herself. It was not long ago that Dain Laiden walked our streets as a skeleton. It was not long ago that Joxia upped and left the town, with the treasury no less, leaving the town weakened against the armies of the Prince. She does not deny the existence of the Temple, and her words do not fully state she does not believe in Moshran.

If you still believe that she doesn't, do yourself a favor and ask her personally if she'd pray to the five at an altar. Or perhaps you could ask her what the purpose is of an Altar to Moshran in her very own home?

A rough sketch is drawn over the letter, the right hand bottom corner bears a few stenciled words, "Hellbriar - Altar to Moshran."

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Last edited by Elijah on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted,

If you've survived through my harrowing and rushed accounts of the past few months, you're probably with the majority in asking, "You have told us enough information to get us in the rebellious mood, but with the Bearers breathing down our throats, what solution do you give?" Have no fear, for I did not grace this town as your reluctant and inactive leader for 9 dwarven months without creative ideas. Our first line of action, should the citizens of Bane truly wish to avoid war and remove the Temple from power, is simple.

We must band together and kick the bastards out.

This isn't their town, and our people have no part of their squabbles with the Bearers. A majority of our people weren't behind their actions, nor did they actively support them. Most of us were fringe at the very least. Once we've all made it clear that we want the bastards out, and they hopefully comply, we create an interim Government. We surrender to the Bearers with the stipulation that Troll's Bane remains free. Of course, I've spoken to the Bearers and should we decide to fight with the Temple, they've told me free elections are going to happen as soon as the Temple is weeded out.

However, I do not wish to trust Bane's future with anyone but its self. The Bearers will most likely ask that we sign alliances with them, as well as making a stipulation during the elections to keep Temple members out of actual process. A list of known Templar will be supplied to help this process along.

Now you might be scratching your head and going, with quite a lot of emotional, "You bastard! You shady, back stabbing bastard! You're only saying this to put yourself in power once more!" No, my head scratching friend. I have no intentions of running for Governor again, nor do I harbor intentions on leading this interim Government. I will be a central figure to the idea, willingly, but I will not ask for any role unless the overwhelming majority of the citizen base scream my name.

Now, as for the Temple. I'm sure you are reading this with glazed and red eyes. You want my blood, and perhaps my head on platter. That will all come in due time, for I'm unsure how much longer my calender has left for me. However, this is an official cry to Joxia Doral, and her acknowledged band of Templar to remove themselves from power and allow the town to prosper without war, without bloodshed, without sovereign powers stepping foot on our lands.

If you truly care for Bane, you will comply.

As my good friend Edric once said, "A sword may start a war, but a quill shall always end it."

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Last edited by Elijah on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hashim El'djin

Post by Hashim El'djin »

I can no longer support this government. The evidence has been provided. I resign.

Thankyou Elijah. You have clearly risked a great deal to learn this.

I suggest that the government and the temple surrender and attempt to make peace. I also agree that the people should be allowed to vote on any new leader or system.

~Hashim El'djin
Kaidan Firestone

Post by Kaidan Firestone »

Kaidan Firestone
Town Guard
Athian

Post by Athian »

An interesting piece of information.

I would like to remind everyone reading this that one should not be so hasty to thank dear mister Elijah for all his hard work. Do keep in mind the damage that he and his band of bandits in the L.B.A did caused your town. The man is more of a tyrant as the people he seeks to denounce and has done just as much harm if not more. The very fact of the easy transition from one state of reign to another regardless of how questionable, was because almost anything was preferable to the rule of Elijah, which was simply so corrupt that it didn't seem like anyone cared whom was in charge as long as it was not himself. Now he tries to buy back your affection with faux noble acts. Let the battles commence but do not think for a single moment that a man such as Elijah does anything at all that does not benefit himself. When the war comes to an end, don't simply put this same tactless monstrosity of a coward back into power. He abused you once and he'll abuse you again, for goddess sake do learn from your past mistakes. If this man sits in a seat of power of bane again i swear i may just walk in to your city and execute him myself. Perhaps I wouldn't find it so annoying, if it weren't for the fact that it was so utterly transparent...

Athian
Kyre

Post by Kyre »

The bail-out and vying for power begins. People of Trolls Bane be aware some of these laws Joxia has gradually done away with were by the prevous regime including the sale of the workshop and the town's taxes still going to this one. Dont forget your history. If you don't like Joxia and in my opinion she has done a good job in the short time she has been Archduchess, be honest voice your opinion, you will not be tried for treason as has been done in the past by the former governor.

Magistrate Kyre Raven
Junior Giant

Post by Junior Giant »

Elijah,

I have considered you a close friend and ally.I also still thank you for welcoming me when none else would.
But i can not stand for this new temple government and even the part you played in bringing it about. You voice your innocence, that you had no choice in this. I see that you just were looking out for yourself, that you showed no honor as a man, as a leader.
Know this, even though we have been friends, even though I have pledged to die for you in the past, only one of us will walk away from our next meeting.

Hew Keenaxe.
Sir Gnar

Post by Sir Gnar »

- Looks to the writing as he laughs in amusement pointing and showing others "cowardly Keenaxe wrote dis". Pulling a small vile of ink from his leather sack, he dips his long black pinky nail into it before writing something...

~ Lookeh whoo speak ob honor, cowardly Keenaxe...

X Slug
The Land of Zzyathis

Post by The Land of Zzyathis »

~Trollsbane has broken the treaty between Zzyathis and itself by slaying two of its citizens~
~Ssaron Klawtail
Nalzaxx

Post by Nalzaxx »

Let us get a few things straight before we rush off believing every little detail of Mr Varrin's account. He takes every opportunity to disguise a little truth amongst much hyperbole and deceit, using our name to excuse his own cruelty and failures of rule. Tyrannical jailing and the creation of the army were, infact, down to the zealousness and paranoia of the former Magistrate Karamak and Elijah himself. Ever fearful that he might be outsted from his own, dubiously aquired, seat of power he crushed even the smallest outcry with ruthlessness and resorted to every possible action to cling to power. Elijah had little intentions of joining the Temple before he saw the end of his own reign. Infact this entire expose is little more than the result of the tantrum he threw when we asked him to step down. There is nothing noble or good about what he has done here, simply a desperate attempt to claw back power and clear his name by blaming us. Many people approached both myself and Joxia during Elijah's reign and asked us to take power from him. When we did so there was much improvement in the freedom and prosperities of the town, that much is clear for anyone to see.

But what of the war we have brought to Bane you ask?

Let it be known that the reason for war is infact, the making of Elijah himself. It is the actions of this worm, taking a simple list to the Bearers and proclaiming it as orders for assassination, that has provoked these hostilities.

What concern for the safety of the town does such an action display? Who is the greater threat indeed when we offered stability and peace and yet, due to the actions of this bitter and power hungry animal Bane has been forced to suffer. For what? For the lies and deceit of a single curr that holds no interest in your safety or well being. I would be staggered that the Bearers would go as far as to believe this swine, were it not that they will use any excuse to make their own power grab for Bane. Are you really so naive as to think the Bearers will stop their attack if we leave? Are you really so ignorant as to think we have not been the sole force that has prevented their total dominance over the island? This is why the Bearers hate us, because we are the only ones who have been able to oppose them for so long. The Bearers themselves were engaged in a campaign of subterfuge during Elijah's reign, attempting to install their own rule on Bane quietly in the shadows. It is simply that we acted to prevent this that you are still free. It would seem that in these days we are infact the lesser of Gobaith's evils.

And as a final note. I am more than prepared to swear at whatever altar you please that I do not follow Moshran. Infact I asked to take up Dronrul on his offer of swearing at Irmorom's shrine to that very fact. At which point both he and the dwarves became rather silent on the matter.

Do not be so quick to judge us. We have sacrificed more for you than you would ever believe.

~Verdazar Ivinius~