A Call to the Zealous

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Bellringer

A Call to the Zealous

Post by Bellringer »

The following informative leaflet has been handed out and stuck up by robed-figures around all the settlements of Gobaith, with an especially large copy hung in the Port for all new-comers to see.

APPLY BELOW TO BRING SPIRITUAL WELL-BEING TO YOUR ISLAND!

Men and Women of Gobaith, your noble island requires your service if the fast-approaching abominable fate that awaits it is to be averted - that fate, that veritable crisis of which I write, is faithlessness.
Religion upon this isle has wandered blindly and without leadership into death and heresy, which its stupor has inevitably brought upon itself. Without direction the servants of faith struggle against one another with contradictory teachings and previously unheard falsehoods. I, the re-enstated Archbishop of Gobaith, wish to change this through timely and effective action, as much as by the service of the few good souls that remain entrenched in spiritual warfare upon this isle.
Faithlessness is the worst of all things, for while murder - which is a most grievous crime - kills the body, faithlessness kills the soul, dooming it therefore to an eternity of wandering. Though we have many guards to defend us from bodily crimes and harm, we have no force upon this island to prevent spiritual harm, and punish those who cause it. This must be corrected and quickly! If souls are to profit from their time upon this world they must be taught faith and protected from those who teach contrary to it, there must be shepherds to safeguard these sheep. Good priests come to me, and I shall make leaders and bishops of you, and you shall make faithful the people of this island!
Therefore, I am recruiting men and women at the service of the Archbishop for preaching and also for the exercising of justice against these spiritual criminals which threaten to destroy the moral order of this island. Without the gods, from whom all order comes, there shall be no order upon this island. For the very sake of society and the common good, we must fight for right-thinking religion, and quell falsehood so often as we hear it.
Enlist, I beseech your good souls, for the service of the gods and the salvation of your own souls. Those of you gifted with great eloquence, and greater still a knowledge of their religion, I call upon you to preach to the native minds of this island. Souls which have been armed with strength, and knowledge of arms, I call upon you to fight not just spiritually but physically for the survival of religious orthodoxy upon this island. If this battle is not fought there shall be a complete death of devotion on this island, and we must be prepared to avoid it at all costs. Come, join with me, on a crusade of truth and a march of fervent faith, and I promise you divine rewards for so doing, as well as a complete teaching and training in the arts to which you have been called.

With the blessing of all gods and all right-minded men,
Expleti, A. Carthusiana,
Archbishop of Gobaith

The following are already among us, at the service of the Archbishopric:

Bishops:
Archbishop A. Carthusiana

Priests:

Preachers:

Inquisitors:
High Inquisitor Kar'armak
Inquisitor Tentatrice Ayx
Last edited by Bellringer on Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Archbishop,

I believe your cause is just and that you are leading the charge against spiritual infidelity on this Isle. Praise you for taking this mantle, and duty and trying to change the direction of spirituality here.

As you know, I lead the business Guild "Chamber of Commerce" and would like to talk to you about your material needs. You see, we sponsor a number of 'charities' not because they are profitable, but because they are the right thing to do. People without hope make poor customers, and money without good works is but a burden.

We would like to discuss sponsoring your new Church on this Isle and helping with this great duty. We can provide materials, robes, staves, etc. Perhaps even a line of credit for your church.

I am not a spiritual halfling, but I see the benefit of it. I look forward to meeting with you in Trollsbane and working with you and the faithful in this endeavor.

~Bernie Bottoms Littlethorn
~Chairman, Chamber of Commerce
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Dear Mr. Littlethorn,

My episcopal thanks for your support and welcome, it is indeed a great pleasure to see such an influential personage as your own supporting our spiritual venture. We shall need such support in the times to come.

Certainly, the construction of a Church, is very high among our priorities, and we intend to begin at such a time as we have received adequate funding for our noble project. We shall eagerly accept any donation from your Chamber of Commerce, or indeed of any other philanthropic organisation on this isle, all of whom we are here to benefit.

We shall no doubt meet shortly, and hopefully in little time there shall be a need of materials which your most successful organisation may be able to provide. You shall not find us without gratitude.

With Eldan's blessing,
Expleti, A. Carthusiana
Archbishop of Gobaith
orgis

Post by orgis »

A Hobbit reads for a moment after being handed a leaflet, grinning to himself he goes up to one of the robbed figures and asks him something

S'cuse big yin! Ye be talking about order here... and that anything unorderly(?) is ungodly... Wi' that mind set, would ye consider Nargun to have some form of order or would ye jist forget about him all together?
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

The robed figure considers for a short moment, before silently writing down an answer and handing it to the halfling.
The monk wrote:When the Archbishop says that "all order comes from the gods", he does not mean that all gods are orderly, only that order comes from them. He would say that disorder also comes from one of them, but that without darkness how can we see light? Nargun's chaos serves to bring people to order, as it helps show to our weak minds what order is.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Reads then nods a little, after which he asks another question

Right, now ye be saying tha' there needs to be 'evil' for there to be any chance of 'good'? Doesn't tha' kinda mean tha' Gods 'ere imperfect on their whole creation scheme? They made a world 'ere not all would be good, many could be anti productive for the gods... But that'd be okay as long as tha' rest see this 'evil' and decide to be 'good'. They practically dammed others so that others would advance.

Doesn't sound very godly too me ye know?
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

The monks, looking frustrated at the young halfling, gather together for a muttered discussion and then produce a sheet of parchment.
The Monks wrote:"Who ever said the gods were perfect? Adron gives in to drunkeness, Sirani gives in to lusts, Moshran gives in to pride... They are no more perfect than you and I, save for the Elder Gods."
Fooser

Post by Fooser »

Praise to the Owl God!
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Those found praising the owl god, or any other avian deity, shall find themselves under punishment for heresy.
I post below the contract between myself and the good governor of Troll's Bane, so that those considering our religious fervour may see that it is officially sanctioned.

With Eldan's blessings,
Expleti, A. Carthusiana,
Archbishop of Troll's Bane

1.) The Archbishop of Troll's Bane is the Head and religious representative of Troll's Bane, he has the duty to look after the spiritual welfare of all souls on Gobaith .
a.) The Archbishop enjoys a position as spiritual adviser to the throne of Troll's Bane.
b.)The Archbishop has a duty to combat heresy, error and nonreligious subjects of the island.
2.) All land belonging in some manner to the Archbishop's person shall be known as the Archbishopric.
3.) Within all land belonging temporally or spiritually to the Archbishop he has the authority to decree morally-binding laws on anything which shall be considered a spiritual matter, he shall have the authority to judge and execute punishment for these spiritual crimes within religious courts appointed by himself. These laws may not contradict the rightful laws of any land, nor may he presume to punish crimes unrelated to spiritual matters; within the city walls such laws must be approved by the Governor.
4.) He shall have the power to call to himself a militia for religious purposes only, though this may not be used for aggressive campaigns against Troll's Bane or its allies.
5.) The Archbishop, though being directly in control of the spiritual administration of Gobaith, shall have the power to appoint and delegate others to assist him in his tasks as he sees fit.
6.) So long as the Archbishop does not interfere with the rightful governance of Troll's Bane or its surrounding estates, he shall have peace to go about his own business and be granted protection by that same government.
7.) Only a male over the age of thirty may become Archbishop, women are forbidden from so doing.
8.) The government of Troll's Bane maintains the right to remove the Archbishop from his position, should he break the terms of his agreement.
9.) All lands of this righteous religious movement are territories of Troll's Bane, though under the subordinate and uninterfered governance of the Archbishop, and any attempt to cede this lands from Troll's Bane will result in the termination of this contract.
10.)The Archbishop is under no circumstances, while retaining his episcopal office, to take supreme leadership of the city. He is not to pursue governmental office, nor to incite rebellion so as to have himself placed in governmental office.
11.) This contract may not be terminated, edited, abridged or re-worded without the express written consent of all the signatories, unless one of the parties break the terms of the agreement and in doing so render it null and void.

Signed,
Expleti, A. Carthusiana,
Archbishop of Troll's Bane

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
orgis

Post by orgis »

Laughs lightly as he watches the monks mutter between each other before coming over with the note. Thinking for a moment he finally finishes with....

Then the Gods aren't really Gods then... their simply beings with higher capabilities than myself and yourselves... And on that note, I can kick the head off a skeleton reeeeeally good, wanna start a religion?
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

The monks scribble a little, then hold up a single sheet of parchment, bearing a clear message
The Monks wrote:Go away.; you simply don't understand the gods, and you are just blocking better souls who want to. If you want further explanations, send a dove to the Archbishop
They point towards the town gates, their silent displeasure with the halfling being noticable.
orgis

Post by orgis »

Finally the halfer walks away, shouting byes and blowing the monks kisses as he goes, if one were to listen closely... they might hear "I'll be back!"... but hey, that could just be the wind.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

I can do some priestly duties for the Owl God!

Dictated by Brer Beothach