The Magic Academy

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Avalyon el'Hattarr

The Magic Academy

Post by Avalyon el'Hattarr »

((Before posting here please consider the possibility of sending a private message, this is not a chat board. Please do not write OOC or short messages that have no real use))

The Magic Academy

All you that seek knowledge, are in the right place. This is the Magic academy of Gobaith, the oldest and most successful magic academy on the whole isle, which for many years now, has been bringing knowledge and skill to young, talented mages and battlemages. As smiths all over the world, use their smithy to craft the most amazing metals, so does the Academy craft the minds of those that want to learn.
Welcome and may you become all that is in you to become.

For long now this place has laid dormant, being visited only for minutes at a time, left empty and desolate. This will stop now.. From this day forward, under new leadership and organization, the Magic Academy proudly opens its gates to those that seek to cultivate their minds and spirits, with the hope that its true purpose is restored. It will once again be the place of learning, experimentation and research, as it was in the old days.

The Magic Academy offers commodities for the students and mages alike, research grounds, a grand library with books from all corners of the world on many subjects, a teaching room where worthy students can receive power over runes, and last but not least, classes on different subjects held by our foremost experts in those fields.

Organization
  • Archmages
    The Academy is ruled by a council of three mages that bear the title of Archmage. They are mages of extraordinary skill and ability, as well as with a wide grasp over all kinds of magic and theories. They are in charged with taking decisions in the best interest of the Academy and all of its members, as well as passing judgment over all matters. Their word is supreme and can not be contested by a lower rank member. They are to be addressed upon their title and treated with the foremost respect.

Master Mages
    These are the mages that have earned the right to teach. They have the right to choose three apprentices from all the students, which they will give no more than two runes per week. While the Council can not impose to a master mage who to teach, it is advised that the apprentices be chosen from the brightest and most hard working bunch. A teacher shall never teach someone from outside the Academy, nor shall he share the magic word that opens the teaching room to anyone, under the pain of losing his teaching room and banishment from the grounds.

Mages
    These are the students that have received their 18th rune and have passed the mage examination, stepping as a child into adulthood. They are allowed to conduct experiments and research in the areas of their choosing in order to prepare for their teacher exam, or merely specialize themselves as a mage.

Initiate
    The students that possess at least one rune, or have passed the initiate's test, bare this title. This is the stepping stone from being only a mere novice to becoming a powerful and wise mage. They are urged to follow classes and participate at all experiments conducted, as well as always displaying an excellent moral conduct to their younger colleagues and teachers.

Novice
    The young student that possesses no runes, and little to none magical knowledge, is known as Novice. He shall choose the classes he wishes to follow and strive to learn as much as he is made to learn, in the hopes that one of the Master Mages will notice his hard work and take him as one of the privileged few to be able to control magic.
All students are strongly advised to spend as much time as they can on Academy grounds since this would greatly increase chances to be noticed by a teacher.

Rank advancement
  • - All students are required to choose at least 3 subjects to follow. At the end of the class, their theoretical knowledge shall be tested by the Council and if passed, they shall receive the title of initiate. A Master Mage has the liberty to choose any student as apprentice, but an Initiate will always have a better chance, since he has proven his work until that moment of time. To be noted is that only the brightest and most hard working shall be chosen, so as long as you display no interest in learning and proving that you have learned, no teacher will display an interest in you.
    - A Novice may become apprentice if chosen by a teacher, but no novice is allowed to receive more than 10 runes until the Initiate's Test has been passed.

- When the Initiate has received his 18th rune, he has the right to apply for the Mage's examination. The initiate shall prepare a theses and a practical demonstration regarding a subject of his choosing, from the three classes followed. In function of the theses' theoretical value, as well as the impressiveness of the practical application, the Council shall decide upon allowing the Initiate to assume the mantle of Mage or postpone this honor for a later date, when the re-examination shall occur. Attention: if the practical application is assessed by the Council to be dangerous for the life of the student, as well as the lives of those present, or the student displays the inability to control it, it shall be stopped and the exam failed. Do not try to impress the Council with overambitious applications if you are not sufficient prepared for the task.
    - A mage shall choose an area of expertize in the field which he shall conduct research and experiments for both the gain of the Academy's overall knowledge, as well as his own.

- A Mage that has finished his research work and wishes to become a teacher to pass his knowledge further to others, is permitted to hold the Master's Exam. For this, the Mage is required to write a rich, detailed theses, upon the subject of his research, as well as prepare a practical demonstration for it and sustain it in front of the Council and the other mages. If evaluated sufficient, the mage shall receive the title of Master, as well as the rune for teaching, and be allowed the honor of joining the circle of teachers of the Academy. As warning, a master mage not complying with to the Academy rules, risks of losing his gained status.

Rules and regulations
  • - Magic is not a toy. Treat it with care and do not abuse it. Those that are caught doing this, or using it without reason in different situations, risk to be banished from the Academy. Those that are caught using magic to cause havoc, public disturbance, or for their own selfish personal gains, risk of having their runes removed as well. This rule includes attacking or provoking others to attack you. If another member has treated you unfairly, the Council has to be notified.

- Always show high moral values and bring honor to this institution and its members. Those that harm its prestige with his actions, risk of being punished at the discretion of the Council, up to banishment.

- Always show respect to your superiors as well as your colleagues. Address high rank members by their titles and always be respectful and obedient. Be sure to follow senior members advices and commands, since this will add to your chances of finding a teacher, as well as prestige to your name. If you consider a task to not be lawful, but unfair, it can always be reported to the Council, as well as all other abuse from a high ranked member or colleague.

- It is not allowed to bring outsiders upon Academy grounds if not given special permission by a Master Mage or a Council member. Failure to obey this rule is punished harshly.

- A teacher is not allowed to give more than 2 runes per week for each of his apprentices, nor have more than three of them. Also, it is against the rules to teach one that is not declared to be his apprentice, or choose one from someone that is not member of the Academy. Also it is forbidden to give more than 10 runes to one that has not yet passed the Initiate's Test, nor give more than 18 runes to one that has not yet passed his Mage examination. Punishment is removal of the teaching rune and even permanent banishment from the Academy.

- Those that have not been acknowledged by the Council as teachers, are NOT allowed to take apprentices, nor use the teaching room at all, as stated by previous rule. Punishment is as before.

- Dangerous experiments are not to be conducted by inexperienced ones. Those that put the lives of others in danger, as well as their own, shall be punished by the Council. Serious offenses can lead to expulsion.

- The teaching room's magic word shall never be revealed to others, this including the non-members or other members of this academy. The punishment is immediate banishment.

- All common rules of decency and politeness apply to all members, ranked or not, insde or outside the Academy walls.

ATTENTION: These rules apply not only for Academy grounds but for outside them as well. Be weary and do not break them.

Members

The Council
  • Archmage Avalyon el'Hattarr (teaching Necromancy)
    Archmage William Elderberry (teaching Magic Theory)
    Archmage Verdazar Ivinius (teaching Battle Magic and Tactics)
Janitor
- As'tiff'ruk

Master Mages
  • - Athian Corulas ( teaching Battle Magic and Tactics, Field Experiments and Research, Magical Cultures and Sub sects)

Professors
  • - Bobarius (teaching Artificing)
    - Magnus Mannfred Magenta Magnol (teaching Creative Literature)

Mages
- Alli Zelos
- Roland Ross
- Ryoukami ( Whisper)

Initiates

- Orioli Shaldra

Novices
  • - Mirko
    - Elethua Ornorak
    - Celdea Gerwulf
    - Raina Narethil
    - Korren
    - Davor Folkbjorn
    - Kilyn
    - Fildara
    - Ugluk Grak'Bral

- Arawen Undorina
    - Ephiduin
    - Farrah
    - Ilyn Drake
    - Arya Isilra
    - Axin

Subjects
  • - Magic Theory
    - Artificing
    - Necromancy
    - Blood Magic
    - Battle Magic and Tactics.
    - Elemental Magic
    - Field Experiments and Research
    - Magical Cultures and Sub sects
    - Illusion Magic
    - Creative Literature

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATTENTION:
- Access on Academy grounds for non-members is STRICTLY against the rules and shall be treated accordingly with the necessary force.
- Violence against members of the Academy shall be investigated and acted upon. To all members: always consider the possibility of reporting the violence against you to a higher ranked mage rather than acting with revenge.
- Complaints against members of this academy can be forwarded to a Council member or any Master Mage.
- The Magic Academy is neutral to all political affairs. Do not try and involve us in it, nor our members, because this will only get them excluded.
- Any official visit to the Academy shall be announced to a Council member through a formal letter.
- Consider reporting any unusual activities of magical nature to the Academy. An investigation will take place and help dispatched if necessary.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All applications for membership shall be pinned on these wall as follows:
Name:
-
Race:
-
Mage/Battlemage:
-

Subjects to be followed:
-
-
-

Old language ((german)) / New language ((english))
-

Personal remarks:
-
Membership will be given only after a brief interview with one of the senior staff.
Last edited by Avalyon el'Hattarr on Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Tomorrow ((sunday, 21 June, 18 PM GMT)), first meeting of the reformed Magic Academy will take place. All members, and non-members that have forwarded a letter of attendance will be expected in the academy's meeting hall to take part at the discussions.

Best regards,
- Archmage el'Hattarr
Arvemor

Post by Arvemor »

To the Reformed Academy,

I am a writer.. and I am currently in need of a job. I hope I can be of use to this excellent order. Please do contact me if you have need of my talents. Any excuse will do to revel in the history of this highly regarded guild.
Sincerely,

-P. Woodscribe
Sammy Goldlieb

Post by Sammy Goldlieb »

Name:
Celdea

Race:
human (?)

Mage/Battlemage:
I dont want me to commit on one, though I want to gather all the knowledge of both

Subjects to be followed:
All, in what I will take my exames I will comitt later

Mother tongue is the old, but I speak the new quite well too (I guess)

Personal remarks:
---
Fildara

Post by Fildara »

Name:
Fildara

Race:
Elfess

Mage/Battlemage:
Mage

Old language ((German)) / New language ((English))
I speak the old tongue but I also can speak the new. But I would like to have a teacher of the old language

Personal remarks:
~~~~~
Ikana Kasin

Post by Ikana Kasin »

Name: Via

Rasse: Elfe

Magier/Kampfmagier: Magierin

Alte Sprache

Persönliche Anmerkungen:
Vor bald 2 Jahren begang ich meine Ausbildung unter Meisterin Artaliar. Aber da Sie einige Zeit später bereit auf Reisen ging und seither ihr Rückkehrzeitpunkt nicht bekannt ist, suche ich einen Lehrer, der mir weiter den Weg der Magie zeigen kann.
Seit Begin von Artaliar's Reise verwende ich regelmässig dir mir beigebrachten Übungen der Eis-Illusionen.

Ich würde mich über jeder Nachricht freuen, sei es von einem Lehrmeister der Theorie oder der Praxis, aber ausschließlich alt-sprachig.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Via
Pterry

Post by Pterry »

Name:
– Elethua Ornorak

Race:
– Elf

Mage/Battlemage:
– If those are my only two options, battlemage. (( NB: Elethua has mage stats. ))

Subjects to be followed:
– Elemental Magic
– Battle Magic & Tactics
– Magic Theory

Old language / New language:
– New language
Morbius

Post by Morbius »

*The words flow from a neat, if not slightly out of practice hand. Most letters appear well formed and easily legable.*

Name:
- Stefan Elvaris

Race:
- Human

Mage/Battlemage:
- I would have to say battle mage, I am already well trained with daggers and can defeat most warriors in single combat. Yet I will of course gladly accept that which I receive.

Subjects to be followed:
- I hope to learn the many aspects of magic that are available, yet my interests do lie in particular with elemental magic, battle magic & tactics.

Old language / New language:
– New, and only new.

Personal remarks:
I have been on this isle a long time, and I hope to finally enter the walls of the academy that is held in such high esteem. I wish the new owners the best of luck in the future.
Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho »

Name:
Davor Folkbjorn

Race:
Human

Mage/Battlemage:
Mage

Subjects to be followed:
Magic Theory
Elemental Magic
Artificing

New

Personal remarks:
-
zda

Post by zda »

Name:
- Brian Stubbs
Race:
-Human
Mage/Battlemage:
-Mage

Subjects to be followed:
-Magic Theory
-Artificing
-Elemental Magic

-new language

Personal remarks:
- i have been wishing to be a mage like my father was. he was one of the most powerful mages in my town on the mainland. i hope that i will be allowed to join the academy and hope that will be able to find a teacher.
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Name:
"Sky"

Race:
Elf

Mage/Battlemage:
Mage

Subjects to be followed:
- Magic Theory
- Necromancy
- Blood Magic
-Elemental Magic
-Battle Magics and Tactics

New Language

Personal remarks:
- I was once a student of the academy, though my teacher is long gone. I have a complete understanding of the Ancient Language and wish to continue my studies.
Last edited by Aldan Vian on Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

ANNOUNCEMENT

The Magic Academy sadly announces the death of Janitor Hans in an unfortunate cleaning accident while attempting to throw into the garbage, where it belongs, a statue of Pellandria, being crushed in the process.
Janitor As'tiff'ruk takes his place.

On another note, tomorrow beginning with ((18 PM GMT)), the gates of the Academy will be opened for a few hours. All students that have deposed an application are required to present themselves for an interview with a senior staff member.

Archmage el'Hattarr
Rhombus

Post by Rhombus »

Name:
Vigil
Race:
Elf
Mage/Battlemage:
Mage

Subjects to be followed:
Magic Theory
Elemental Magic
Artificing

New language

Personal remarks:
I have learned to speak Ancient to an extent and am currently practicing daily to better improve myself.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

ANNOUNCEMENT

The Magic Academy is proud to welcome Athian Corulas as new Master Mage and teacher. He shall be holding classes of Battle Magic and Tactics, Field Experiments and Research, Magical Cultures and Sub sects, thus introducing two new subjects to this university's curriculum.

On other note, due to recent accidents, the Council has decided to limit the study of practical ritual magic only to Mages and above. Thus, the following objects shall be studied only in theory:
  • - Necromacy
    - Blood Magic
    - Elemental Magic
    - Artificing.

All ranks under Mage are completely forbidden to experiment or attempt practice in one of these areas, as well as any other form of ritual magic.

- Archmage el'Hattarr
Netsirk

Post by Netsirk »

Name:
-Arawen Undorina
Race:
-Elven
Mage/Battlemage:
-Both

Subjects to be followed:
-Magic Theory
-Artificing
-Battle Magic and Tactics
-Elemental Magic

-New language

Personal remarks:
- I am very active in my studies and very dedicated to what I set my mind to. I am glad to see the Academy up and running and I wish you the best of luck. I would greatly appreciate it if you would meet with me to discuss me furthering my education in the fields thus listed above.
Grokk

Post by Grokk »

A piece of parchment is posted upon the academy wall. The handwriting is quite shaky, and several words across the page have been crossed out.
Name:
- Raagnash

Race:
- Orc of the Shadow-Flight

Mage/Battlemage:
- Mage

Subjects to be followed:
- Magic Theory
- Magical Cultures and Sub-Sects
- Battle Magic and Tactics
- Blood Magic

- Raagnash have new tongue. Write best Orc.

Personal remarks:
- You teach Raagnash. He will great shaman. Gruushnak says. Raagnash show human learners to think. But Raagnash first.
Qeewee

Post by Qeewee »

Name:
-Sasha Arannir
Race:
-Human
Mage/Battlemage:
-Mage

Subjects to be followed:
- All to later pick three

-New

Personal remarks:
Last edited by Qeewee on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

~~The note is long removed~~
Last edited by CJK on Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sirith-Rym

Post by Sirith-Rym »

this paper has been torn away.
Last edited by Sirith-Rym on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
1d20

Post by 1d20 »

Greetings,

Usually, I'd stand against the "taking by force" method of acquisition of land and establishments, but the old Academy had nothing going and so long as Avalyon invests reasonable effort in keeping the new order going, the new Academy has my "outsider" support. Things are looking good and hopefully will function better than how they were prior to Kadiya's disappearance.

I am wondering though; the old administration had plans to create Gobaith's first "bestiary". A caged building containing a single specie of every living specimen on our island (except for civilized ones, of course) - Is that plan still undergoing?

Blake
Last edited by 1d20 on Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avalyon el'Hattarr

ANNOUNCEMENT

The Magic Academy announces that the subject Magic Theory is now a mandatory subject. All students are required to pass it before moving to the next rank. In consequence, students need to choose only two subjects in which they will be tested.

Also, Master Agrona shall be teaching Illusion Magic, adding it to the list of this institution's curriculum.
- Archmage el'Hattarr
PurpleMonkeys

Post by PurpleMonkeys »

Name:
-Joseph Flame
~~~
Race:
-Human
~~~
~~~
~~~
Mage/Battlemage:
-Mage
~~~
Subjects to be followed:
-Magic Theory
-Elemental magic
-Field Expirements and Research
~~~
Old ((German))/ New ((English)) Language:
-New Language
~~~
Personal remarks:
- I wish to learn the theories of magic and the usage of magic as well. I had a teacher once before, but he was only able to teach me some theory, and some of that I do not fully remember, Yet I am wanting to restart my education of magic, and I would be honored to be taught in the Magic Academy. I am prepared to work hard and long for this knowledge.
Athian

Post by Athian »

An official looking parchment can now be seen on the notice board of the academy as well as in select locations throughout the academy

TO ALL STUDENTS

Before Classes begin in earnest I will take a moment to give a brief explanation of the contents of the subject I will be teaching for the consideration of the student body.

Battle magic and Tactics:

At the moment Master Ivinius are likely to be teaching this subject in tandem with consideration to the number of students showing interest in the subject. I will state now that this class is originally geared toward battle mages and or those who seek to improve their abilities in self defense. As such this class will have a strong emphasis on physicality, and a potential risk of personal injury. Those who feel they will not be able to keep up with a class that will involve physical training and conditioning need not apply.
Novices will be expected to show a marginal degree of improvement in all non-magic related areas of the class (we are aware that most interested students are not studying to become battle mages, as such your improvement will be judged on an individual basis). Failure to achieve a necessary degree of improvement will result in failure of the subject. This is not negotiable.
Those attending the class who are battle-mage potentials may also be subject to extra classes that will not pertain too (thus are not mandatory, though attendance will be noted) the mage potentials.

Having runes is not a requirement for this class; however a large number of lessons will pertain to the use of magic. For those wishing for a fuller experience it may be advisable to wait until you have acquired at least a single spell of the Commotio and Pervestigatio division.

Field Experiments and Research

The goal of this class is to teach potentials how to conduct, measure and analyze experiments in the fields of magic as well as how to recognize potential faults and long term effects experiments might have on the environment around them. Lessons will be brief and often subjective and self study will be promoted in all other scenarios. Scale experiments will be conducted both by the class and individually, and students will be graded upon their ability to conduct and measure there experiment rather then the success or failure of the venture.

Under no circumstance will any student be allowed to perform wide scale experimentations that might endanger the inhabitants of Gobiath or cause short or long term harm to the environment. If this rule is violated the student will immediately fail the class and potentially receive greater punishment which may include temporary suspension or even permanent expulsion.

Potentials interested in branches of ritual magic that do not pertain exclusively to the use of runes should consider this class before the advancement of their study.

Magical Cultures and Sub sects:

This class as the name suggests focuses on the cultural aspects and difference between the various people of our world. Here you will learn many particulars of cultures and subdivisions of magical organizations and peoples.

The goal of this is to help future generations of mages understand the complexity of the magical world and how differences in beliefs, ideologies and social stigma’s have affected more then simply the title of those privy to the power of magic. For example, if a student cannot adequately explain the cultural and ideological difference between a Shaman and a Lor angur mage, he or she would receive a failing mark.

Be Advised; during this class students will be subjected to alternative magic theory, ideals, motivations and moralities of different magical cultures, none of which can be conclusively proven right or wrong and therefore will be left open to the interpretation of the individual student. As such it is expected that all students attending this class remain respectful of the beliefs of others and do not seek to persecute, belittle or mock the subject. Any student caught doing so will not only receive a failing grade in this class but also a personal request for termination, submitted by myself for the review of the academy council.

In short: Prejudices will not be tolerated.

I hope this helps to clear up any questions about my personal curriculum and what will be involved for those who attend my lessons. My first official lessons will begin one dwarven week after the induction period has ended. Non-committal introductory classes will be held shortly, and will be announced by myself or by the academy collectively.

Any further questions on subject materials or class rules may be directed to me by personal message.

Master Athian Corulas
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

I'm holding a lesson on Magic Theory on ((Saturday at 8PM GMT+1 http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.co.uk/#UK_Time . Time can be changed to earlier if people find that inconvenient. Just pm me.))

If you've not already had an interview with an archmage, you should try and do so as soon as possible.

I'll probably have a good hour prior to the lesson where I'll interview anyone who still hasn't been and is around still, but I can't guarantee this.

I expect punctuality. The lesson will start at that time, and we will not wait or recap for anyone late.

~W.E~
Gibble Thibblebum

Application

Post by Gibble Thibblebum »

Name:
- Sylenanthelarilis
Race:
- Elf
Mage/Battlemage:
- Mage

Subjects to be followed:
- Magic Theory
- Field Experiments and Research
- Magical Cultures and Sub sects

-New language

Personal remarks:
- I was a previous novice but had to leave on an extended trip ((IRL stuff)). I would like to be readmitted and continue my training. I have master the first ancient primer but have not yet gained my first rune. My subjects were chosen so as to provide a strong base of knowledge for future training.
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

A brilliant turnout, both of you.

~W.E~

The parchment is amended.

Or.. all four of you as it were.
Vitoria

Post by Vitoria »

A piece of parchment is posted upon the academy wall. The handwriting is neat and clear.
Name:
~ Vitoria Swan

Race:
~ Human

Mage/Battlemage:
~ Mage

Subjects to be followed:
~ Magic Theory
~ Elemental Magic
~ Illusion Magic

~ Old language, but I do understand the new language

Personal remarks:
~ In my past I travelled a lot. Met new people new friends, but never find the right place to settle down.
Finally my search comes to an end at the day as I left the ship and start to explore Gobaith.
On all my travellings I was never able to found someone who could teach me the arcane art.
Now I´m coming here to the academy full of hope that you would admit me as an academician.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

There will be an introductory lesson on Artificing on ((Tuesday, 8pm GMT+1)), all of those wishing to follow my lessons are expected this day unless I am informed beforehand, no broken legs or dead relatives at the last moment!

If you can not make it to a theoretical class, I still expect you to know it's contents before the next lesson, how you do this is up to yourself and your creativity.

However if you miss a practical lesson, you will not, under any circumstance attempt this by yourself or with another student, you will either have missed it, or be lucky enough for me to show you in private.
Any attempts at doing this by yourself, while not yet being regarded as a fully fledged mage by the Academy and you risk being expelled.

The lesson will commence in the library.

Bobarius
Arya

Post by Arya »

((Some words are written in elven))
Name:
Arya Isilra

Race:
Elf

Mage/Battlemage:
Undecided

Subjects:
All.
Old language ((German)) / New language ((English))
New language.

Personal remarks:
Last edited by Arya on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kevin Lightdot

Post by Kevin Lightdot »

I expect everyone to be on time for the lesson!
((Be a bit early if you can.))

Bobarius