The Town of Troll's Bane

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Aldaren Anfarc has joined the Town Guard.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

At our regular meeting of the Chamber of Commerce, we discussed 'protection' for the 'suburbs' of Trollsbane. As they develop and people move out to these 'suburbs' in the 'County' of Trollsbane, they will need protection and people to uphold the Law.

The Town Guard (or those acting as Guards) can't do this. The Governor has made it clear that their job is to protect people within the walls of the City. So what about those of us who choose to live outside the walls? According to contracts, each 'suburb' has to obey the Laws of Trollsbane, but who will enforce them? Each 'suburb' could make their own militias, but several 'armies' is redundant and not in the interests of Trollsbane.

We have a proposal. We can create a "Sheriff of Trollsbane County" position. The Sheriff and his Deputies would patrol the outer territories of Trollsbane and uphold the Laws there. They would work 'with' the Town Guard for training and cooperation, and answer to the Governor. Their pay and supplies would be funded by a 'tax' of 5 silvers per dwarven week upon the 'suburbs'. This is a small price to pay for protection in the vast territory of the 'county'. There is no 'active' group that can do this. We must create our own. For now, the Chamber could get this started until more 'suburbs' can help with the cost. We already have several good people in mind for the positions.

~Suburbs of the 'County of TrollsBane'~

The Suburbs of Northbridge (II) and Midlands (VII) are sold already, to be developed. Others will follow. We need to create some sense of Law and Order before more 'suburbs' are sold and developed. I propose this idea and want to get feedback or ideas from the people of Trollsbane, especially those who want to move to the suburbs in the future. What do you think?

~Bernie Bottoms Littlethorn
~Chairman, Chamber of Commerce
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Greetings Bernie,

I am truly enjoyed and moved by the level of interest you seem to have in the project you've deemed "New Haven". You also know that I fully support your idea of making the position of "Sheriff", in current title or another, come into effect. However, I believe a few citizens have read your parchment the wrong way and I only wish to calm such confusion, instead of openly bashing your ideals.

As much as what Bernie wrote was true, I only wanted to touch on a few details. We've yet to decide an official name for the suburbs as a whole or the position that will adhere to the Town Laws and lead the protection of these lands. Of course, those names may very well indeed end up being the final product that will be spoken for the long length of history that they hopefully stand. But I believe until all the suburbs have someone to claim their ownership, titles and stipulations that apply to the majority of the lands should be halted.

More public opinion on the matter as a whole will be sought, as Bernie seems to be attempting here, before we make such public announcements that are hardly past the level of where they can be set. Of course, Bernie's close supervision on the matter and keen mind will be one of the deciding factors on the Town outside of the walls of Troll's Bane.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Our noble lords of Troll's Bane,

Having returned from our meditations far off, we request now (as is both our right and our duty) that the contracts made between ourself and the Archduchy of Troll's Bane be honoured. As it is, we find that the only religion publically expressed in your city, is that of some strange blood-god of whom none have ever heard, this is intolerable - you must restore religion to its place within this city, as was done so effectively under the reign of Archduke Cromwell. We are the Archbishop of all of Gobaith, and bishop emeritus of Troll's Bane, we demand this position be recognised as the legislation which we signed agrees.
If the holiness of faith goes on ignored within these city walls, how do you ever hope that there shall be peace, or that a will higher than your own might be done. Recognise our claim as Archbishop, and we assure you that many great blessings shall follow - both from our hands and those of the gods.
We attach below the following document for your perusal.

We remain the trusty servant of Troll's Bane, and her honoured Archbishop,

Expleti, A. Carthusiana

P.S. We wish also for a reform of the Archbishopric territories, which you shall no doubt find most pleasing. Having recognised our claim, we hope that we should be able to meet soon with the current governance, and discuss such a reform.
Archbishopric

1.) The Monastery remains under the Authority of Trollsbane law and a part of Trollsbane. It will be handed over to the Credii and the Church of Gobaith, who form the backbone of the new administration of the area.

2.) The Monastery shall be turned into an administrative area known as the "Archbishopric", while the names of the individual buildings can remain as they are. Following the name-change, the leader of the Archbishopric is known as the Archbishop.
a.) Father Thyme shall be named as the first Archbishop, and he pledges loyalty to the laws and social order of the Archduchy.
b.) Father Thyme, as all the future archbishops, must give a pledge of loyalty to the Archduchy of Trollsbane before he can ascend to the position. This pledge must be made in the manner specified in 2-d.
c.) The Archbishopric shall have peace to conduct it's business as they wish, as long as the pledge is respected and the pious and shall be allowed to pray on the land.
d.) The exact wording of the pledge: "I, -name- hereby swear in the name of -name-, to diligently and without desire for personal gain to perform my duties as the Archbishop. I shall shepherd the flock fairly, to be pious and respect the laws of Trollsbane. I thank the Almighty gods who have blessed me, and pray that I shall serve them well, for they are the beginning and the end, and I am a mere mortal."
e.) The Archbishop manages his own organization, and should have elections amongst the priests of the Archbishopric on set intervals. Citizenship of another town or area does not prevent a priest from becoming the Archbishop. However, only the priests and monks of the Archbishopric shall be given the right to vote or run for becoming an archbishop.
f.) The priests of the archbishopric are allowed to have their own congregations or churches, and are not forced to cooperate with each other beyond adhering to the commands of the Archbishop, and the election of the Archbishop.
g.) The archbishop has the right to sanction monks and priests for misbehavior, and to ban individuals for committing crimes or blasphemy within the Archbishopric territory.

3.) The archbishop and the archbishopric shall enjoy a status comparable to a borough with a single vote, with the exception that only those Archbishops who are citizens of Trollsbane shall be able to exercise their right to vote. Furthermore, this vote is only available in the election for the governor, and the Archbishop does not have any connection with the council of Nobles.

Signed
Lord Edward Cromwell
First Archduke of Trollsbane

Lord Rothman
Second Archduke of Trollsbane
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Governor,

It has been three dwaven days since the request for claims to the buildings in the Midlands went out. There have been no valid claims made upon the buildings in the Midlands. The previous owners are either gone to the mainland or deceased.

I am hereby recording this fact that all buildings in the midlands are now considered vacant and/or abandoned. Our contract with Trollsbane supercedes any claims of 'ownership' now and in the future.

I will now seek a key-smith to create keys. The Chamber of Commerce will now use those areas as per our contract for the good of Trollsbane and make them available once again.

Thank you,
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Axin has briefly assumed the duties of a scribe and a personal assistant to myself. He seems to have the same ambitious nature that once graced me when I first arrived on this island. His scrolls can already be found in the Library. Wish him luck in his future political endeavors, which I'm sure he'll obtain.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Greetings citizens,

It seems I've neglected to officially hold a open forum type meeting with the citizens since the beginning of my reign. I've tentatively set a date in my schedule for all those who are worried, concerned, or wish to voice their opinions on the town of Troll's Bane. On the fifteenth of Siros, the meeting will be held in the tavern
((this Thursday at 23:00 GMT 6PM EST July 22nd)) and moved accordingly depending on the audience that shows.

Another meeting is scheduled for a dwarven hour and thirty minutes later strictly for the guard and all those who are interested in joining. Pay will be given if it has not been already, keys will be handed out, and a mix of opinions and ideas on how to improve the guard will hopefully be discussed.

With best wishes,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Greetings,

A reminder to all citizens that the town meeting will take place in nearly three dwarven hours from now. After that, I'll be moving to the arena to host another guard meeting, around an hour and thirty minutes later. Hopefully a few people will take the time out of their schedule to attend. At the town meeting, we will discuss how to improve the town and other matters that seem to concern the populance these days.

Everyone is invited, even if you don't consider yourself a citizen or a guard.

Thank you,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

((Circumstances and RL obligations have arose that make me attending the IG meetings today impossible. I've tentatively set them for tomorrow at the same time. ))
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Governor,

I would like to call a meeting of all the suburb 'owners' to discuss plans for the suburbs. We could meet in Trollsbane at the Library. Let's meet this dwarven week end ((Sunday at 4pm CST, 2100 GMT)). There are five suburbs sold, and more soon. It's easier if we settle some things now than later.

Security for the Suburbs will be one issue for there is still the threat of Bandits, Highwaymen and Cult Worshippers. If the Town Guard are to be used for 'inside' the walls of Bane, we will need to each hire 'mercenaries' or form Police to protect people travelling in the suburbs. I rather like the idea of a single force of 'Rangers', or a 'Sheriff' or 'Guardian' who would patrol all the suburbs, but we all have to agree on this.

Another issue I would like to bring up is whether 'citizens' of 'Villages' automatically are citizens of Bane or not. Northbridge is considered a Village, and we are soon to form "New Haven" as one. As Villages are formed and citizens gathered, I think it will be important to know, especially if there ever are elections in Bane. Will people in the suburbs be able to vote too?

There are several other issues that are 'fuzzy' that should be talked about among the 'owners' of the Suburbs, like resource rights, travel, money and plans for development. We all want to attract people to our parts of Trollsbane, and it would be best if we can all agree how to do this.

I would also like to ask you to attend too. Actually, if you could 'Chair' the meeting, I would appreciate it. There are many questions you could answer as they come up. Decisions will need to be made and it will be best if you could make it too.

Thank you for your time,
Anon of D'Athen

Post by Anon of D'Athen »

I shall attend this meeting if I am able.
((bad RL time for me, but just maybe I'll be able to.))

Anon D'Athen
Captain of the Town Guard
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

Extremely bad time for me. You might try to poll us for a good time to be courteous. ((Before you announce an important meeting they would not have failed to attend. :/))
Orioli
Taiah

Post by Taiah »

There seems to be a flurry of whispers betweeen a silver-eyed elfess and someone not seen, the final parchment is placed on the board with two distinct handwritings.

We are unsure if we can make the meeting or not.

Caiah Daekash
Squire of the Knights of Gobaith

Taiah Daekash
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted Bernie,

I believe you are becoming a little too antsy with the entire suburb idea, my friend. As I've openly stated in the past, and I'm still quite adamant about, I don't believe it's a good idea speculating about the entirety of the Suburbs when all of them have yet to be owned. However, I can do you one favor and openly state the answers to the questions you have proposed.

Citizens of Suburbs are in fact citizens of Bane. Why? Because these lands are technically Bane territory and therefore all inhabitants are under Bane jurisdiction. As for any voting privileges, if the town were to return to an electoral system, they of course would be given the basic right to vote. However, this will lead to inflation of voting for a leader of a certain suburb and would only lead to a candidate being voted in based on his ability to recruit citizens to their suburb, instead of their ability to lead a town.

The Town of Guard of Troll's Bane protects the town. However, due to the fact that most of the suburbs are being sold off to create small housing projects and to preserve forests, I don't believe this will be too much of a problem. The guard will easily be able to be summoned for a brief hiatus to deal with disruption in a housing section outside of town. Defense is a must, but considering the fact that even if we did have an active patrol wondering the territories of Bane, crime is still possible. The defense of one's suburb will be at the discretion of each singular leaser.

You wish to create a village where people live and work? Then do so. This will of course need more protection then a assortment of housing projects.

The basic format of the wall has been changed and a few contracts I've neglected to add in the past have been pinned.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Juniper Onyx
Master NPC Scripter

Post by Juniper Onyx »

Thank you Governor for your timely and coherent response.

I believe that these things should be discussed and settled now before 'more' people will make negotiations cumbersome and unwieldy, but have it your way. I hereby CANCEL the meeting for tomorrow. It is my hope that we at least try to have a meeting like this sooner rather than later.

I am disappointed by your responses however. I was seeking 'negotiated' and clear answers and the ones you've provided are rather vague. They are only two answers to my many questions.

Citizens could vote 'however' this could lead to inflation? What does that mean? Does that mean we will never have elections, or only under favorable terms?

The Guard 'could' come to our aid? but security is at the discretion of the leaser? That sounds contradictory and could lead to multiple attempts at Militias, Guards or other impediments to a unified Trollsbane.

As you can see, I am not 'antsy' only realistic. I am looking 3-5 years into the future of Bane, and it scares me. I see multiple villages and tenants living all over the suburbs with laws and security of their own designs. I see disputes break out between suburbs and constant mediation by the Governor. I see Trollsbane split by its own 'children'. "A House divided among itself cannot stand". The time to lay the 'foundations' for the suburbs of Trollsbane is now, while they are 'undeveloped'. Can't you see that?

Well, I will trouble you nor the other 'suburbs' no more. I will do what is best for the Midlands and for Trollsbane and only hope we can 'lead' by provide a shining example of a loyal and prosperous Trollsbane Territory.

Thank you for your time,
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted once more,

I don't believe these walls are the correct place to be discussing these in depth. That's the only reason I gave you a vague answer. Either way, I will answer any further questions after this with a dove. Citizens of Suburbs will be able to vote no matter what. I only wished to add one draw back that comes with allowing citizens of suburbs vote. It becomes more of an ability to "buy" or recruit votes then a nominees ability to lead a town. You must also understand that any nominee shouldn't have outside obligations, so this of course.. could help free the town of any of this "inflation" that might occur.

As for my statements of the defense of the town, I can hardly see where that is contradictory at all. The leaser has the discretion to hire his own force of protectors or to call the help of the town guard in singular cases. The Town of Troll's Bane will appoint a reasonable candidate sometime in the near future as the Guardian of Troll's Bane and all it's territories. He may do with that title as he wishes, including gathering his personal men to help him protect the lands.

As for myself, I too, look down 3-5 years in the future of Bane. If we go down a path where all the leaders of the suburbs must meet to discuss the entirety of the land nothing will ever get done, due to busy schedules and inactivity. A meeting here or there to create the basic framework is indeed needed, however. I'm actively pursuing making laws and stipulations that protect Troll's Bane and it's suburbs from becoming a stew of confusion in the future.

Your best bet is to worry about what you can change in the present. And that's Midland. The present shall shape the future.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

Elijah

Thank you for perfectly concise answers and for protecting the other suburbs from being bullied by one.

Orioli Shaldra
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted,

I've heard a rumour about the Governor's inability to control basic finances. As much as that makes me laugh, I can see that it may be a concern for a few of my citizens. Because of this, I've made the treasury viewable to the general public. Hopefully this will hush any rumours such as this in the near future.

I've slaved a great deal of the last few days building the food bank up. Though I don't intend to do such strenuous activity on a daily basis, it is quite rewarding when you know the cause. I also wish to thank Talathiel of Tol Vanima for her contributions.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Friedwulfa

Post by Friedwulfa »

Werte Bewohner Trolls banes,

Silberbrand informiert hiermit, das die nächsten irmoromschen Spiele in etwa drei bis vier zwergischen Wochen beginnen werden. Wir laden die Stadt Trolls Bane herzlich ein, als Gemeinschaft für Ruhm und Ehre teil zu nehmen.

Die Bewerbe werden sein: Schneiderei, Schreinerei, Schmiedekunst, Bergbau, Hindernislauf, Dicht- und Sangeskunst, Schwertkampf, Gruppenkampf und ein alchemistisches Konzil, in welchem Alchemisten der Insel gemeinsam den weisesten und gebildetsten unter sich ermitteln können.

Der Ablauf ist so geplant: Die Stadt darf zu jedem Bewerb einen Recken schicken, die Teilnahme ist umsonst. Desweiteren darf jede Gilde die sich zugehörig zur Stadt fühlt je einen Recken pro Bewerb schicken, welcher auch gleichzietig für die Stadt antreten darf, auch diese Teilnahme ist umsonst.

Am Wettkampftag werden alle Handwerker informiert was genau ihre Aufgabe ist (damit niemand vorher ein Meisterstück einschmugggeln kann), sie bekommen ihre Materialien gestellt, ihr Werkzeug müssen sie selber bei Hand haben.

Trolls Bane ist angehalten, für den Fall das es mehrere Bewerber für einen Bewerb gibt, Vorkämpfe abzuhalten, bei denen, auf Anfrage, Silberbrand gerne behilflich ist.

Hochachtungsvoll,
i. A. Friedwulfa Silberklinge

((translation follows))
Kingdom of Silverbrand

Post by Kingdom of Silverbrand »

Dear inhabitants of Troll’s Bane

Silverbrand wishes to inform you that the next Competitions of Irmorom will take place in three to four dwarven weeks. We heartily invite Troll’s Bane, as community, to participate for the glory and the honour of your town.

The competitions will be: Tailoring, capentering, smithing, mining, steeplecheasing, poetry and singing, fighting with swords, fighting in groups as well as an alchemy council in wich the alchemists will search for their wisest and most educated one.

The planned course of events: The town may send one participant for every competition. Participating is free from any charge. In addition every guild that feels connected with Troll’s Bane may send another participant who can take part on the competitions as well.

On the day of competition, all participants will be informed about their actual task (so nobody can smuggle a master piece into the competition) and they will get the material, the tools have to be crafted by their own hands.

In case that there is more than one applicant for a competition, Troll’s Bane is asked to hold pre-competitions. Silverbrand will gladly support you with these, if whished.

Yours sincerly,
p.p. Friedwulfa Silverblade
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

A reminder to all citizens,

Land taxes will be due tomorrow if they have not been paid already. Those who have already paid taxes have been listed below.

• Phibol D'Woise
  • The Chamber of Commerce
  • Artimer Fault
  • Felix
  • Darius Kain

If you feel that your name should be on the list above, feel free to contact me. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to send me a dove.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

All taxes have been accounted for, and any that have yet to be paid is merely due to the failure on my part to collect them.

Thank you,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Orioli

Post by Orioli »

~someone scratches in a name~
Elijah wrote:A reminder to all citizens,

Land taxes will be due tomorrow if they have not been paid already. Those who have already paid taxes have been listed below.

• Phibol D'Woise
  • The Chamber of Commerce
  • Artimer Fault
  • Felix
  • Darius Kain
  • Orioli and Velisai

If you feel that your name should be on the list above, feel free to contact me. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to send me a dove.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted,

The best smith of our humble island, Skull'Fed has been so kind to have donated 5,000 raw stones to our building efforts. This will surely give us a good head start on these future advancements to the town. The more items we are able to gather via donation will leave even more financial space for renovations to the town.

I also wish to receive doves in the coming days for those who wish to take part in the Competitions of Irmorom. I'll then compile a list to send to the queen so that she has a better view on who is taking part. Please name which events you wish to take part in and add any other members of your town, should the individual competition consist of a teamed challenge.

I've also set a tentative date in the future for land tax collection.
((September 5th))

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

Be blessed, Elijah Varrin, for the new laws you have enforced against heresy. May you find me their most sure enforcer.

In Eldan's Name,

Expleti A. Carthusiana,
Archbishop of Troll's Bane
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted,

Athian Corulas has been fined 55 silvercoins and paid it on this day.

Skallib Durr has been fined 20 silvers for Provacation, and has yet to make his payment. Fines can be paid to myself or the Magistrate.

Thank you,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted,

I've decided to allow Skull'fed the right to use the Guild hall in Troll's Bane at the rate of 15 silvers a dwarven month, with a 40 silver deposit.

Also, the translated edition of the town laws are now available to the public.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted,

I'll be holding an open forum meeting at the tavern in Troll's Bane for the next two dwarven hours. You can meet with me to discuss anything you wish and hopefully people show up wishing to speak about this "governmental reform" none sense I've been spouting. Questions and concerns dealing with the Army of Gobaith will also be dealt with.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted,

I'm holding another open forum meeting at the tavern for a dwarven hour. Excuse me if my absence from the last half of the end of the last meeting left anyone with questions.

I also wished to state that taxes are due ((September 5th)).

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane
Elijah

Post by Elijah »

Be greeted,

I'll be holding another meeting at the tavern in Troll's Bane for the next dwarven hour. All are welcome to attend.

Signed,
Elijah Varrin
Governor of Troll's Bane