A Wall Posting entitled "Freedom for All"

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

The Pillars of Democracy

A Wall Posting entitled "Freedom for All"

Post by The Pillars of Democracy »

Ladies and Gentleman of Troll's Bane, and Beyond

Throughout the rich history of Troll's Bane, from it's conception by King Udan Trollsbane, to our very Archduke ourselves, we have been blessed and cursed by leaders from a variety of backgrounds and leadership styles. We have seen democracy, dictatorship, monarchy as well as moderates, that have brought us prosperity or downfall. Ladies and Gentleman of this glorious city, we must realize that the Archduchy is not representing the will of the people, which the government is set out to do. We must realize that Edward Cromwell and the current "Lord" Julius Rothman are pigs, men set out to achieve their own benefits and interests. Above all, men and women, we must realize that as citizens of this city, it is our duty to restore democracy and burn the Archduchy down to the extent in which no tyrant may ever revive it again.

The first question is how we must do this, and the obvious answer is through the help of revolutionary men and women who will fight, not afraid of death, towards the army in a makeshift militia to once again bring freedom to the Trollsbane people, with small arms and well-trained squads, we will restore the rights and traditions of this city.

So join me, ladies and gentleman; among many others, in the FIGHT for majority vote and FREEDOM, rather than the say of a few aristocratic, rich individuals. Details on joining will be brought to you, men and women of Freedom, simply by leaving your name here with your utter support for our cause.

Individual, personal freedom above all, for all.

The Order of the Pillars of Democracy
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

There have been worse times. I doubt this will ever work.

~Unsigned~
Vern Kron

Post by Vern Kron »

A man strolls to the board, and smiles gently, not of smugness but a bit of happiness. He runs his finger over the writings, thinking. He then goes and gets his writing materials, with a very serious expression.

I do not know who you are. It doesn't matter, as I think we are both aware. The one who pulls the strings behind your movement is actually probably left anonomous. Understood. I hope, with all of my heart, that it doesn't come down to violence. Some one would get hurt, and the town would be torn. The ideas of Julius's new electoral college is a step in the right direction, in my opinion. Please, do not be so hasty as to attack and end in hurting the town. If you feel that your wants, needs, and so on are being neglected, I beg of you, let me know if no other official will hear you. Send it in a dove, send it with no name if you feel it must be so. I do not mind. But do not go to violence to solve this issue. It will end in the town being weaker than ever before. Please, do not let it come down to a strength in swords.

I know that Julius would not be many people's first choice in this situation, nor do many believe that this situation should have been started by Cromwell. Neither of them were mine. Please though give it a chance. There may be some positive to this that you have yet to see. And if a majority of the town are against this, then you should stop your fight. That is my honest opinion, but if the majority of those living here, do feel that is wrong for you to do this, then you no longer are an order of democracy, but an order of dictatorship. It all depends on the side that will be the loudest on this issue. Should this system stay, should it go? Should there just be a new Archduke, or should there be no more?

I lay it out for you people and if it is treason for me to try to find out what the people feel, then so be it. The town needs its people. Its people need to be pleased. The whole of them, noble or not. I have seen many happy people, but they could just be hiding their true feelings. I care for this town and if the town in majority feels there should be a large shift so be it. But let it be a peaceful one. In no case should this become an issue of jailing, or violence. Fighting will only stain the town, and we have larger issues then killing each other, atleast I -hope- that we all have something else to do other than hurt people.

I, Artimer Fault, henceforth strive to do the best to keep the people of this town happy, citizens and those who are nobles alike, even if it means supporting or disreguarding this group. Please speak, my friends. This large issue is going to effect us all for the future.

Added quickly after
If you are happy with the current system, speak. If you are not, speak. We should not live in a situation where we are not happy, and I want the best for the town. But this does not in any way include violence. Violence would only make this a very bad situation for everyone.
Riniao Teries

Post by Riniao Teries »

*a crow is standing in front of the board*

"Demo..what? What is that?"

"It has something to do with demons! For sure!"

"No, no! Demolition, that's the answer."

"Demolition of what? The archeduke? And what is then?"

"Well, after the demolition, the demon comes!"

*The crowd laughs amused and disperses.*
rakust dorenstkzul

Post by rakust dorenstkzul »

A man in a top hat goes mincing by the board, he turns and looks at it, then writes his response

Everyone in favour of dropping democracy forever, raise your hand.

He then walks away, twirling his moustache
Bellringer

Post by Bellringer »

A stout man dressed in peasant's clothes walks slowly up to the board, and after struggling to read the parchments raises his hand with a grin on his face.

"Democracy, what 'as it ever done for me? I ain't a fan o' underminin' authority...the only pigs 'ere are the 'pillars o' bloody democracy'"

He scrawls in awful child-like script on the parchment...

TOPPLE THE PILLARS.

With that, he walks slowly off, a scythe slung over his back and a smile on his face.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I do not know how democracy is supposed to function.

I do not see how blacksmiths, farmers and fighters should know more about running a city, then people who have been taught about it since their birth.

Leave the ruling to the educated, similar to the way you leave smithing to the blacksmiths.

~K.Tao~
Gildon de Vymont

Post by Gildon de Vymont »

To who leaves his signature unsigned, democracy is not the one to blame if someone incompetent is elected. Rather, it is the education and knowledge of the people that must be blamed. The people of Trollsbane are not educated on the issues that the running canditates have to offer, and therefore it unfourtuantely becomes a popularity contest in which, as you said, the incompetent rule and Trollsbane goes into a spiral of downfall. However, if educated more on the people's issues, and the election brought to more of people's attention, democracy is a beautiful thing; it repersents what the people have to say, rather than a person who had bought their way into a title.

Thus, I support this cause, however your harsh words encourage violence and destruction on a widespread scale, which is clearly not the answer. Trollsbane has seen enough of that, the people have suffered too much under the words of violence. So, if this cause was to get anywhere, then it has to be completely bloodless.

-Gildon de Vymont
Damien Wolfebrook~

Post by Damien Wolfebrook~ »

In rebuttal to those who stood their name unsigned, he stated that Cromwell was voted democratically, yes.. in this he is right, he was voted by the people without the people knowing his intentions to TURN Troll's Bane into this Archduchy, so therefore he used the TRUST of his people against them in turning democracy (in which he was elected) to an Archduchy (which he could profit from) without little of the consent of the people.

Also, you mentioned how the uneducated may be picking their own leader, but simply because the candidate may represent them, the common farmer represented by a liberal candidate is only common. I believe that the uneducated and the downtrodden should get their own say, whether or not they have been educated for a variety of reasons.

Thirdly, you stated that a group of strong leadership is neccessary to push through to prosperity. I do agree.. but not in the Archdukal system. In democracy, pure democracy, there is a Senate that represents the people's will and way to law, and therefore we are using this strong leaders with our democractic system, while the Archdukal system gives leadership positions from those who suck up to the Archduke, those chosen by the Archduke, and who pay a fine. Therefore, to make their own profits, they will go away from our farmers, our blacksmiths, those who CREATE our economy and our citizen pool.

- unsigned
Last edited by Damien Wolfebrook~ on Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aegohl

Post by Aegohl »

((oops, I meant to delete one post and I deleted the rest. However, no big loss. Could everyone take a look at the suggestion at the bottom of the rpg board rules?))
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

A rather tall figure dressed in fine linens, embroidered with expensively decorated patterns steps towards the wall on his morning run. He crosses his arms as his posture tenses, his eyes stopping short on the parchment and the mess of others hanging below it. For a short moment his brow creases in thought before he steps closer and raises his hand to rip the parchment down.

Several moments later, if not an hour later the same parchment can be seen hanging over the first clinking anvil in the Workshop. One might notice the same man, now adorned in simple working clothes ringing his hammer down into a fine hide of armor. For those of who chose to look over the parchment in his presence, he simply gives them a soft smile and a nod of his head, the arrogance in his eyes betraying any seclusion. The "pig" continues to work throughout the day, mixing the sweat dripping from his nose with the hot iron below.
Freedom Fighter

Post by Freedom Fighter »

I support you.

Freedom Fighter
Maeglin Telemmaite

Post by Maeglin Telemmaite »

*A tall elf walks over to the board and pins up a parchment with a golden wolf's head insignia on the bottom.then he turns and walks away*

I am all for a democracy but it shall never work.The position of Archduchy has been around for too long.The people are(not saying for sure that they are)probabnly to afraid of punishment and change to "overthrow" if you will the Archduchy themselves.They require guidance and orginization.Good luck in your cause.

~Maeglin Telemmaite Vian
Maeglin Telemmaite

Hadrian_Abela wrote:I do not know how democracy is supposed to function.

I do not see how blacksmiths, farmers and fighters should know more about running a city, then people who have been taught about it since their birth.

Leave the ruling to the educated, similar to the way you leave smithing to the blacksmiths.

~K.Tao~
Also noted that ALL blaciksmith's,carpenters,and all other crafters and hard workers (educated or not) shopuld have a say in what goes on in this city.We all who are citizens Should be allowed to be concerned and "vote".You Tao are "Educated" I am guessing...In what?Tomes and reading and writing?Well crafters are educated in carpentry and tayloring and smithing.We are all educated in our own way so before you start saying who is smarter than whom,Think about that and look into the mirror and ask yourself this...Is any man or women better than another?
Are you better than any man or women whether they be a criminal to an Archduchy? I know I am not.
Llama

Post by Llama »

I do not interfere with the workings of a carpenter. I do not offer him advice on the best way to cut his wood, chop down his trees or make his staves.

Obviously should I were to buy a stave, then what he does will effect me, but I am in no position to teach him his work. Similarly he is in no position to advise a smith on the best way to mine ores. Nor is a person, schooled from birth in the art of metal working, educated enough to lead a people.

Some people are meant to spend their lives in dark mines whacking at rocks to obtain ore, other people are educated enough to lead. Its as simple as that.

~K.Tao~
Maeglin Telemmaite

Anyone can lead.People just lead in different ways.For example.Lets say I was elected as Archduchy(wouldnt ever think about running) I would do things to help the little people(not meaning halflings and dwarves and gnomes but the carpenters and farmers and such).I would expand farming rights and make mines more accessable and such with more recources and ect.

~Maeglin Telemmaite
Aldan Vian

Post by Aldan Vian »

Democracy will never take effect in Trolls Bane. Personally I'm against the whole idea because of the fact that violence will most likely be involved and there has been too much violence as of late anyway. But indeed the people who are not in high government power do need help. Then theres also the question will a change in government cause anarchy? Perhaps we can find other ways around the problems?

Aldan Vian
~Carpenter~
~Apprentice~
~Bishop of Trolls Bane~
Freedom Fighter

We shall force it to happen.

Freedom Fighter
Llama

Post by Llama »

Maeglin,

You say that anyone can lead, and that is obvious. Similarly I could say "Anyone can mine", but there are grades. That is why schooling in economics, speaking skills and an ability to take good decisions while under pressure, is vital to a leader.

So lets leave leading to the leaders shall we? Once you obtain a very good education, and practice in diplomatic problems and the like, then you should have a right to lead a town.

Till then, if I were to ask you to plant your cabbages in the shape of a paralelogram so they grow better, you are free to ignore me, as I do not know anything about farming.

~K.Tao~
Hushed

Post by Hushed »

Yes.. What a quaint idea, let the farmers, and the carpenters create complex legal systems, and bureaucracies, rather than the scholars, and educated people of the land.

And what better way to create a government than through makeshift militias! Violence is always the answer to a new government. Yet, I pose a question. What happens when the strong revolt against the democracy? Shall farmers clash swords with trained soldiers? We all know the outcome of that battle.

Let the Archduke stay. This idea of Demoracy is ridiculous, more ridiculous than an orcen barbarain running Troll's Bane. Leaders need intelligence, something that farmers lack.

~Wimbur Seemil Tavarius
Freedom Fighter

Not only farmers want democracy.

Freedom Fighter
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

Um... I used to be a farmer... Am I allowed to take offence to the statement that farmers lack intelligence?

Sir Dantagon Marescot
Knight of Gobaith
Julius
Location: My religion is better then the one Alex taunts you to join! Update: Alex secretly worships me.

Post by Julius »

Not at all, my good sir. You simply prove his point.

-unsigned-
AlexRose

Post by AlexRose »

What he said.

~W.E~
Llama

Post by Llama »

That depends Sir Dantagon, if you became a Knight based on your skill at growing carrots, or whether you became so because you were re-educated.

As for you "Freedom Fighter", it is plain to see that you want democracy as well, so yes another fighter wants democracy. Instead of hiding behind fake names and simply pointing out faults with the intent to incite a rebellion, point out what you can do instead, show us how educated you are and that you deserve to lead a town.

~K. Tao~
Dantagon Marescot

Post by Dantagon Marescot »

I became a knight because I wanted to defend the innocent. Growing carrots or re-education has nothing to do with my intentions. Knight, like farmer or blacksmith is merely an occupation, not a social standing on this isle. And being as such, there is no reason a farmer can be just as educated on politicians and can make a decision about who they want for govenor as any mage could be. Infact, I am sure that your "uneducated" farmers and blacksmiths are more likely to vote than your "educated" mages. Some people simply can't be bothered to vote and are lazy or are too busy being full of themselves.

I personally am hoping for democracy to return to Trolls Bane. This archduke crap isn't the way of Trolls Bane. Leave a monarch to the dwarves. I knew such happenings as this were to come when people came to and realized that the system wasn't going to go away. The nobles don't care about the town, they only care about their own ends.

I am not going to do as these unnamed people ask and demand war and death to those in power. Instead I will allow them to topple under their own weight. I do like the idea of a council that keeps the leader in check, but I don't like the idea that we don't get much of a choice. If things were to say, change and we could elect those in the council and the council continues to elect a leader, things might be good.

But hey, I am just the uneducated farmer who is pretending to be a knight who has half a brain unlike some of the educated mages or fake nobles on this isle. I don't know any better, now do I?

Sir Dantagon Marescot
Knight of Gobaith
Warrior of Bragon
Llama

Post by Llama »

My apologies then Sir Marescot, for where I come Knight is a social standing as well as an occupation.

Also you wrote, and I quote -

"And being as such, there is no reason a farmer can be just as educated on politicians and can make a decision about who they want for govenor as any mage could be".

I was not making a distinction for mages, being a mage is simply my occupation, it is not who I am, nor is it my background. But in my opinion, if this 'democracy' rubbish is wanted, there should be large constraints on who gets to vote. Namely those who are educated enough to understand how the running of a city works. They may be mages, they may be Knights or they may be monks, it is irrelevant. But chances are, a person who spends all day growing onions and cabbages, wouldn't know much of leading a city except for basic economics.

The 'archduke' being voted in by the other dukes, is a strange twist on the usual hierarchal system I am used to, but it covers the above clause very well.

~K.Tao~

You can notice a very bored-looking person sitting near the wall, his hat covering his eyes, and smoking a pipe, as if waiting for someone to write something
Julius

Post by Julius »

"Defending the innocent," sounds like the occupation of a Town Guard. The title Knight is a social class, no matter what your fairy tale Knighthood chooses to say it is.

-unsigned-
abcfantasy

Post by abcfantasy »

The occupation of the Town Guard is not to defend the innocent, but to protect the town they are bound to. It's not their duty to protect and defend the innocent who lie outside the town.

A Knight is not even a social class, unless that is legally proclaimed by a town. Then again, the meaning of such a term can vary. It may signify the binding of one to an Order (which doesn't necessarily make it a social class still), or a binding to oaths that may include defending the innocent.

~ Jorokar Sladrir
Julius

Post by Julius »

In Salkamar, an order as you describe is not a Knighthood. That is something called a guild, a faction, or a party that believes in the protection of the land. The same goes for most modern and civilized nations abroad. A Knighthood is generally, and almost always a group of men protecting a Lord's land and going by the ideals sit by him, being Knighted by him, and owning some sort of estate and most often holding the mandatory noble title of Baronet (among others, hence the Sir most of those wrongfully take before their name on this isle). The ideals of some of you seem like the tales I used to read in books as a child, not of the valid truth that is witnessed back home.

-unsigned-