A Leave of Absence (part 2)

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Irania

A Leave of Absence (part 2)

Post by Irania »

The air was cold and bitter in this day. The air tasted of poison. Irania shouldered her bag and looked over the town square thoughtfully, yet sadly. Clearly she had messed up somewhere along the way though Irania, being the emotional wreck she was, wasn't sure where it was. Surely Brer couldn't be that angry with her for trying to kill him. After all, she'd failed, he still lived. She wasn't even sure why she hated him so much. Though one thing was sure, she loved him as well. Fingering the golden ring around her finger for a moment, Irania takes another look at the square. Sure she'd be back, but she needed to get away for now.

"Fine mess you've gotten yourself into this time, Ira." She spoke aloud to herself as she exited the south gate. Everything seemed darker, less magical for her. Even the freshly fallen snow felt tainted beneath her small feet. The journey to the docks was a long and arduous for Irania mentally. She hardly believed it when she finally saw the buildings in the distance.

"Alright, Quinnie. I hope you're ready for en unexpected guest..." Her tone was somber. Perhaps she was not meant to keep a Beothach. Simply the last name would have to suffice.

When the ship docked and Irania boarded she recalled the last time she exited in this fashion. Brer was there with her then. This time he wasn't, and he never would be.
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Quinasa rounded a corner of the house in the woods to see her father sitting in the grass with her young brother Rowan, and with her daughter Andriel.

In the years since she and her husband had left TrollsBane, her life had taken a turn for the better. She often thought back upon those they'd left behind and wondered how they may have fared, especially her sister, but never regretted the decision to leave.

The little girl in the grass spotted her mother and lept to her feet with a squeel and a giggle, running as fast as her little legs could carry her, her arms outstretched to be caught in a hug. Quin took in the sight of her child: the thick black hair, shape of her face and her pointed ears were all she could see in the child that belonged to herself. Her ice blue eyes and the gleeful ferocity with which she tackled all new things in her life came from Arist.

Then again, so did her temper.

Quinasa caught the girl and lifted her as the child wrapped her little legs around her mother's waist.
"Where is Daddy?" she insisted, twisting her little fingers in her mother's long white locks excitedly.
"Daddy?" Quinasa asked, pressing her lips together and furrowing her brows playfully. "I don't think I know any Daddy," she said.
Aristeaus came round the corner of the house behind his wife and the little girl screamed and wiggled out of her mother's embrace.
"Daddy!" she screamed as he swung her around in circles.
Quin watched them play for a moment and began walking toward her father. She knelt down beside the man and the young boy who seemed to be growing too fast.
"How are you, Papa?" she enquired light-heartedly as her brother wrapped an arm around her shoulder.
"I'm losing," he replied with a laugh. Quin looked down to see a game of sorts in the grass between the two of them. "They're too smart for me." He winked.
"Rowan, I need to speak with Papa alone for a moment." She nodded at him and the boy got up and walked to the other end of the yard where Arist and his daughter were goofing around. Quin smiled at him when he turned around and looked back. "I'm worried about Irania. She hasn't answered a single one of my letters for the past six months."
"Maybe you should give her some time."
"But I worry, Papa. Maybe I should go to her."
"And leave your daughter?"
At that Quinasa turned her head to look at her daughter who was riding on her father's back like a horse. "No."
"You would take her?"
"No."
"I may not know her as well as you do Quinasa, but I know grief, and I know that she loved her mother. She will answer when she is ready."
Quinasa put her hand on her father's shoulder to comfort him as she felt a pang in her own heart. She would know the feeling someday too, that of losing her best friend to the ravages of time. She got up and left her father to pick up the game. Rowan had disappeared into the house and Andriel and Arist were having a tickling fight on the ground.
"I'll not be scrubbing those grass stains out of your pants this time, darling," she said in passing the two who stopped to look at her.
"But she-" Arist started to protest as he pointed a finger at their daughter, who had grass in her hair.
"I'm sure she did."
"But I-" he started again.
"Yes, I'm sure you did." She walked around the front of the house, the smile she wasn't sure she felt was at least evident in her voice. Aristeaus grinned at their half-breed child and threw some more grass in the air above her head. Her squeel of pleasure following Quinasa out of sight.
Irania

Post by Irania »

As Irania clung to her cloak in the middle of the night with tears in her brown eyes, it was Brer that she thought of. How could she have been so foolish? It was only recently that she assumed he would always be there. Never once did she think that he would ever stop loving her. But how could he have lied straight faced to her and say it anyway? At least she was able to hear it one last time.

The journey so far had been harsh. The oceans seemed to wail just as she herself did in the night. Salty drops sprinkled over the edge of the ship like tears as waves crashed, rocking them almost viciously. Hopefully the storm would not last much longer.

Tossing her cloak aside, Irania sits up and dashes to the door hurriedly, making her way to the top deck. Once the air hit her she almost felt better but for a jerk of the ship that sent her nausea into full force. Grasping the edge of the ship Irania retches and coughs, the motion sickness too much for her to hold in. It had been quite a while since her last journey by sea and she's almost forgotten how sick it made her. It was worth it still, not to have to see Brer for a while. Not to be tormented.

"It was me. It was all me the whole time. How could I hate him when I was the one who's abandoned him?" She spoke aloud into the salty, stormy air. Gripping her stomach Irania made her way back to the small cabin which she'd claim as home for the next few weeks.

There she collapsed exhaustedly onto the bed and even with the oceans raging just outside, she fell into a much needed sleep.
Irania

Post by Irania »

Days were starting to seem like weeks for Irania on her journey home. Aside from the large storm that plagued the seas recently the weather had been calm. Nonetheless her motion sickness continued to eat her away. She lost weight and her appetite. She hadn't seen her mother in years and hadn't heard from her in months. Surely everything was fine. Irania did tend to overreact sometimes. Most of the time.

If she was quiet enough about her return no one would find out she had returned there wouldn't be any problems. It had been almost ten years since her banishment and it still hurt to think of not being welcomed in her home again. No, Gobaith was her home. Paralon was simply a place she was born now. Gobaith held her heart, and her love. She often wondered what Brer was doing while she was gone. Had his unrequited feelings been returned? Had be been missing her? These were questions she wouldn't have an answer to until her return.

"Just a few more days and i'll be off this damn ship...." She murmured reassuringly to herself in the darkness of her cabin. Yes of course that day couldn't come soon enough.
Irania

Post by Irania »

After two weeks at sea and countless hours of pacing and tears, Irania's ship finally docked. When she stepped out and took in the familiar scene, she whimpered softly. Things really hadn't changed much at all.

Making her way through the streets was like walking a familiar and well memorized maze. Vendors and shoppers alike crowded along each path just as they always have. She took one last look back at the crowded streets before continuing on down the dirt road which she knew would eventually lead close to her mothers house. She, along with Quinasa and Aristeaus would all be surprised to see her from out of the blue.

Some hours later, her feet tired, and her stomach grumbling, Irania saw her old home in the distance. A reminiscent purr escaped her throat when she took view of it as though coming to life again. Slipping from her sandles, Irania gripped them in her hand and raced towards the house, not caring about the shooting pains that shot through her heels from the countless hours on the road. Closer and closer the building came up like an angel to her, an angel opening her arms and beckoning her to safety.

"Mama! Mama!" Irania yelled as she ran through the grass towards her sanctuary. "Mama, I'm home!"
Quinasa

Post by Quinasa »

Quinasa's keen elven hearing picked up the sound of Irania's approach before the girl had started yelling. She felt the sickening pang of understanding as she put down the dish towel when the moment her sister's voice rang out there was not a trace of grief or sorrow. That could mean only one thing.

Irania had not received her letters.

Before even thinking that she would have words with the couriers, and before even wiping her dripping soapy hands on her house dress she was headed for the front door. Arist and Darrah wouldn't be home with the kids for hours yet. Quin yanked open the door and stood there, her hair pulled back in a messy knot and wiping her hands on her apron as her sister's hurried footsteps carried her closer. The look of expectation and relief on Irania's face was enough to crush the elfess' spirit and she felt herself falter.
Irania

Post by Irania »

Irania reaches the door and stops dead in her tracks as Quinasa opens it right before her.

"Quinnie!" She throws her arms around the elfess and hugs her ackwardly. "It's so good to see you! Where is Arist? Where is my Mama?" She lets go and looks her sister in the face.
Irania

Post by Irania »

A whole lot of things happen and Irania goes home.
Aristeaus

Post by Aristeaus »

(( Nice ending :p, i take it my inputs not needed ))