I, Thief Extraordinaire

General roleplaying - No OOC-posts, please! / Allgemeines Rollenspiel - Bitte keine OOC-Posts!

Moderator: Gamemasters

Prince of Thieves

I, Thief Extraordinaire

Post by Prince of Thieves »

An unassuming, leather-bound pocket book, chosen to be its owner's only confidant, to hold and hide his confessions. Kept in shorthand and in secret.
12. Zhas 71. Salkamar.
The poetry festival was concluded as planned by its hosts without any incident, or so the public believes. The poets, vying with their flowery words for the audience's favour, must be blissfully unaware that their desired prize was in jeopardy last night. The Golden Quill, an excellent masterpiece of goldsmithery which was awarded to this year's most lauded poet, narrowly escaped my grasp. I could not resist the prize's temptation, and it had lured me like a baited hook lures a fish.

The heist itself was not very demanding. I had learned that the Golden Quill was kept by its creator safely locked away in his store. The jeweller's front door was locked and guarded, of course. However, as chance would have it, thick vines of ivy creep up the building's back wall, reaching up to an open window on the first floor. Under the cover of darkness I scaled the ivy-clad wall and thus gained entrance.

I have been practising my art for quite a while and I had become careless - too careless. Everyone knew my modus operandi, and that night the dreaded moment had come: The guards were expecting me at the scene of the crime. A jump from the window was my only way to evade immediate capture, and a wild chase ensued through Salkamar's back alleys, which at night resemble a dark, disorienting maze. There I managed to give my pursuers the slip. I am safe for now, but the guard will continue its hunt for me, and I can only elude them for so long. Alas, 'tis time to bid Salkamar farewell. Au revoir, Salkamar!

The town gates will be tightly controlled - an escape on foot will be well-nigh impossible. My only hope is to escape by sea, for the authorities' control over the seafaring folk was always tenuous, and smuggling is rife. At dawn I shall head to the harbour and buy my way aboard whichever ship is scheduled to set sail first. Ronagan help me!