Processor spikes / Lag

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Mirai Belisai

Processor spikes / Lag

Post by Mirai Belisai »

I would like to ask, if that happens only to me or if this is common behaviour.

i regularly experience processor spikes at 100% of the java instance, that result in a temporary stillstand within the client.
The character stops moving (and sending those moves to the server) or doing anything for like 5 seconds.
This is a bit pesky at times, because the server keeps the monsters moving at the same time, so if you are running away you usually get some beating after that spike.
Charlotte-ate-wilbur

Re: Processor spikes / Lag

Post by Charlotte-ate-wilbur »

This happens alot for players far from Germany as that is where the server is held. Sometimes weather or just poor router, it happens to me too, though not so bad.
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

This happened to me quite frequently getting worse and finally kicking me out of game every few minutes until I got my ISP involved. They checked the line and found a weak signal. Once repaired I didn't have further problems. Other games may not be as much of a problem since the server is closer. Ping tests and line quality tests may help also. You might want to make sure you don't have two instances of java and the right java used. Windows 64 may use a different java then 32. Good luck finding the cause!
Mirai Belisai

Post by Mirai Belisai »

Most likely it was the adobe update schedule, that was set to run once every hour.

I changed that and will look out for a change to the better.
Kugar

Post by Kugar »

Try changing these settings on your graphics card (together or separately or both):

1) Gaming performance/Standard 3D settings: performance instead of quality
2) Anti-aliasing: use lowest quality anti-aliasing settings instead of using application settings
3) If those don't affect the spike, lower the CPU processor speed a notch.

If changing those affect the spike, you can at least diagnose the issue a bit better and adjust your graphics card settings to make the game playable. Afaik this has been an issue for a while for a few players and probably should be addressed properly.

As for the double java instance in task manager - the client itself also seems to stay running after you close it sometimes and when you reopen Illarion a new java instance starts. Probably a bug because a device/something didn't terminate properly.