Drow cave - Defensor

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Drathe
Official Illarion Banner Contest Winner

Drow cave - Defensor

Post by Drathe »

I just wanted to express some concern at the 'quest' design and breeding ground for frustration, annoyance, sheer fatigue at doing it.

*I don't want to give away any spoilers but the skulls clue is next to useless.
*The Defensor quests of kill me this and kill me that take a life time, literally hours and hours of your life waiting for Drow to respawn. If you've got a party to do the quests with, they will need to do the same, chalk up MORE hours waiting so don't bother, if your on your own you'll die.
*Portals - around and around the map, frustrating and confusing add the Defensor wants to that too.

I've found most of the quests in game to reward poorly for the work or expense of the player in doing them to the point of it was not worth it in the slightest. But this one, this one, this just... makes you want to write a forum post while you wait for Drow to respawn in your depressed state. Eh, I cant... even... find the words.

Such a wasted gem of an idea
Achae Eanstray

Re: Drow cave - Defensor

Post by Achae Eanstray »

I particularly had/still have a hard time getting all the drow helmets though it has been quite awhile since I worked on that quest so I can't remember defensor sorry.

The rewards for such effort would be good for a proposal if you wish to list some ideas, I'll be happy to move it there for specific suggestions on this quest along with others regarding the rewards comparable with time spent.... http://illarion.org/community/forums/viewforum.php?f=94

Hopefully others will have input too.
Mephistopheles

Post by Mephistopheles »

These quests have high end rewards at/near the end.
It's meant to be a difficult quest series. Time constraints included

Honestly it has merit to be frustrated about the respawn time with these monsters with a party involved. I do believe that should be changed.

However plz don't say this gem is wasted, I know the original drow dungeon, it's nothing compared to this in the way of content/lore/quests/everything else, its 20X better than it's previous competitor.
Drathe

Post by Drathe »

Sure, alright you've got a point and I am just having a, hmmm, constructive moan?

But its not in anyway fun to do on your own and even less with a party. Its just a ball ache and a drag. No I don't want the moon on a stick or anything to be handed to me because I want it, I love a challenge but a challenging long wait? Or poorly designed level arrangement to frustrate? The saga continues...

I also hear about and find many high end rewards in Illa quests, an old ring, bucket and 10 silver coins aint in my top of the carnival prize list. Especially when it costs far more to the payer in resources or time than its anywhere near worth.
BjarsTale
Galmair

Post by BjarsTale »

I've to agree. The Drows we're slayed going to spawn in the Queens Chamber, which we cant reach yet of course, so it will take more time to gather all needed Items/Kills.

On its own way it's funny doing this tasks but.. how already told, its frustrating to walk the whole way sometimes, that should only be if you're sended to Cross or use Books.
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

To cover a few points here :

1) The Queens room is set to be opened in the future the scripting has it ready to go.
2) the quest was not intended to be accomplished in one day, there are several hi end rewards that you receive that are items that are not craftable or purchasable in-game.
3) Monster drops are currently being revisited, as soon as this is done I will look over the quests at that point adjusting where needed. The dungeon is designed so every quest item needed to be turned in can be found in that dungeon.
4) Nerfing the items collected or amounts to kill will result in a nerfing of the rewards also.
5) I will relook at the spawns and make sure they are in accordance with standard spawn times and sizes.

http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=11429
http://illarion.org/mantis/view.php?id=11430
Achae Eanstray

Post by Achae Eanstray »

Thanks for the help and information Evie! :D
JacobB

Post by JacobB »

In my opinion, this is one of the best dungeons we have.

+ target audience fighter 80+
+ multiple rare items
+ coins/valuable items
+ great final quest reward
+ good skill gain
+ challenging entry
+ hard to explore (many areas, levels, portals, traps ...)
+ really nice map
+ some really funny and unique quests

- time consuming (but what is not time consuming in Illa?)
- missing boss monster quest (that's nothing compared to missing magic!)

And role play? Just ask for supporters. There is enough time between the respawns for role play ;-)
Drathe

Post by Drathe »

Hello Evie, thanks for the reply. :)

I don't want nor think it should be do able in a day but...

"3) Monster drops are currently being revisited, as soon as this is done I will look over the quests at that point adjusting where needed. The dungeon is designed so every quest item needed to be turned in can be found in that dungeon." - Gooooood because at the moment I've been working the dungeon for circa 30 hours of play time and killed countless Drow and so far have had no Drow helmet drops ( quest requires x numer) and 1 drow armour drop in all that time. Add to that there have been a couple of us playing together needing the same things AND you don't know what loot you need to keep and cant carry it all, so roll on waiting for more slow spawns for a random chance of some loot that you've left or sold in town and its been like water torture. So far the rewards of coins, a gold crow and food juuuuut, IF, cover the cost of armour repairs, food, travel books and time.

"4) Nerfing the items collected or amounts to kill will result in a nerfing of the rewards also." - Why? Because you don't have to spend a week of your life waiting for respawns?

I do love the effort and idea of it all and the hard work gone into this so please don't get me wrong here.
Drugar Stonesmasher

Post by Drugar Stonesmasher »

A little bit appart from that, but still something that has got to do with it:

In some other places there are spawn points, that are not reachable.
i.e.
Galmair Dwarf Castle in the Mountains, in the Castle Entrance behind the barrels. An seemingly at the way there to the south east there seems to be a dwarf within the rocks.

In den Dragon Mountain East part there are several points.

Placement of a few rocks there would do i suppose.
Rag

Post by Rag »

I would like to add summoned Pets of the Necromancer on the Pirate Ship (spawn outside Ship - not reachable)
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Drugar Stonesmasher wrote:A little bit appart from that, but still something that has got to do with it:

In some other places there are spawn points, that are not reachable.
i.e.
Galmair Dwarf Castle in the Mountains, in the Castle Entrance behind the barrels. An seemingly at the way there to the south east there seems to be a dwarf within the rocks.

In den Dragon Mountain East part there are several points.

Placement of a few rocks there would do i suppose.
Fixed both of these on maps for update and hopefully on live server as well! thanks so much for the feedback. Let me know if you find anymore such map bugs!
~Evie
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Rag wrote:I would like to add summoned Pets of the Necromancer on the Pirate Ship (spawn outside Ship - not reachable)
Hello, thanks for the feed back. I can find no mapping reason for this to happen at the moment. I will continue looking. You did mean the pirate ship that shows when you use the ferry? I will keep researching this to see if it is a spawn issue or map issue.
~Evie
Rag

Post by Rag »

Yes, i mean the pirate shipe while using the ferry. It happend on the upper deck (nord) and there in the northeast corner behind the plank. That's where the Necro summoned his little pet (think 2-3 tiles from the top northeast corner in direction to the south from there). Shame we don't made a screenshot :lol:
Evie
Developer

Post by Evie »

Rag wrote:Yes, i mean the pirate shipe while using the ferry. It happend on the upper deck (nord) and there in the northeast corner behind the plank. That's where the Necro summoned his little pet (think 2-3 tiles from the top northeast corner in direction to the south from there). Shame we don't made a screenshot :lol:
Great information. Problem will be solved with next update.