Limits

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

Pugnacious

Limits

Post by Pugnacious »

Is there anyway to limit how hard my processer works playing this game? I have played this game on three PC's since the change and all of them run as hard as they can. But my newest PC is twice what my first was. So I know it dosn't have to work that hard. I ask because it leads to overheating. I think this may have killed my last PC.
Drugar Stonesmasher

Re: Limits

Post by Drugar Stonesmasher »

The game shouldnt use that much processor power.

Mine is a dual core using one of them with 8% for Illarion.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

Mine is a Intel i5 560m using 100% at all times running this game. But for any other app, may spike, but never runs this hard.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

If you looks in task manager, does it actually state that 100% of the processor is being used by Illarion and not by other things? The client is pretty memory intensive, but I've never seen it be very processor intensive.

In fact, can you post a screenshot of the resource manager or task manager when that high?

Depending on your OS, you may be able to change the priority level of processes. If Illarion really is somehow eating 100% of the CPU, it may be worthwhile to lower its priority.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

How do I screen shot, because right now my tracker has it as UC 99%
#upc1 at 100%
#upc2 100%
# upc4 100%
#upc5 100%
I dont know about #3 it isnt listed
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

Pugnacious wrote:How do I screen shot, because right now my tracker has it as UC 99%
Couple options depending on your system. Check your keyboard for "PRTSCRN" button and press it. This should copy the current screen into your clipboard. You might need to hold FN, CTRL, ALT, or SHIFT when you do. It all kinda depends on how your keyboard is laid out.

Windows 7 and later also has the Snipping Tool, which I use all the time. It lets you select an area to to take the picture of, which you can then save.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

I guess I said it bad, I have taken a screen shot, I just cant post it here. It says it is too big, even though I have edited it in paint to just the important part. All the same, as mentioned above, my processor is always at 100% playing this game. At no other time is it. It may spike for a moment, a minute, but IG it runs full on, all the time. My question is, can I do something to limit my CPU from running as hard as it can while playing this game? I have played Illarion on lesser computers so I know it does not have to work this hard.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

To put it simply, I don't know without knowing a lot more about your system and what is causing this.

I would suggest you upload the picture to imgur.com and just post a link to it.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

What matters ,is there a way I can limit my processor from running 100%, not whether I can show you a good screen shot of it at 100%.
CJK
Developer

Post by CJK »

I can not answer that question for you, sorry. I do not know nearly enough about your system.

Nitram, being much more experienced in system software than myself, might have some recommendations. It is entirely possible that you will need to be looking more at the documentation for your chip manufacturer or operating system than here. Sorry, there's just nothing I can really do for you with the information given and without fuller knowledge of the circumstances creating this issue.

EDIT: To be as clear as possible, there is nothing I can think of that you can do to reduce the processor load of Illarion through the Illarion client. It may be possible that you can do this through your Operating System, but I don't think I can help you with that.

EDIT: I see in some old threads that you have had problems with the game running in the past. Is this the same system? I also see that processor is from 2010. How old is the system? Is all of your RAM being used? It is possible that being at your RAM limit would cause the CPU to have to throw data back and forth between RAM and the disk a lot, which would be pretty intensive and really slow things down.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

True, I have had trouble in the past. But this is a new PC, and it has no other use than to play this game. I have tablets and phones for all my other needs. This PC is just and only for Illarian. It is an old PC, but it is much more than the recommended that is listed on your site.It is much more than I have played this game with in the past. So I know it is up to running this game, and it does do so just fine. But it does get hot. The processor does run 100% at all times. And It shouldn't have to. So back to my question, can I set a limit on how hard my processor runs?
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

There are tools that do what you seem to intend to do. Without having tested them, Google reveals names like Battle Encoder Shirase and cpulimit (Linux). These are no recommendations.

Do you observe this high CPU load only with Illarion or any other given application such as your internet browser or office suite? How do you read your cpu load? How much is actually used by the Java process? As stated before, without knowing anything about your system (OS, CPU type,...), it is impossible to help.

Your question implies either that your system is not suitable to run Illarion (such as: a PC from last millenium) or there is something terribly wrong with your system in general, not related to Illarion at all.
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

Thank you for the recommendations.
No, I do not use this PC for anything else. It is my Illarion machine. So I have no idea how it works doing anything else.
It is windows 10, Intel i-5 3.2 GHz, Nvidia NVS3100M.
More than enough to run the game. And the game runs fine, but it does get very hot and my resource tracker shows it is always is at 100%.
My tracker is CPUID HWMonitor.
But I can feel the heat off of it, no tracker needed for that.
I have removed the bottom plate and have it sitting on a Cool Plate, with the fans turned to high. It does help, but I still worry. It should not be this much of a problem.
Estralis Seborian

Post by Estralis Seborian »

Illarion should cause maybe 1% CPU load on your system. Whatever causes the load, it is not Illarion. Hit CTRL-ALT-Delete, run the task manager and check for the Java process. A screenshot would be interesting.

Concerning screenshots, you can upload them as attachment here. Use your favourite software to compress the file if needed. You can also upload the screenshot to imgur, photobucket or whatever picture hosting service you prefer.

PS: I did NOT recommend any software.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

There is something wrong there. The Client shouldn't use that much CPU power, especially not on all cores.

Could you give some more information regarding your system?

The Intel Core i5 560M contains the Intel Graphic Media Accelerator, that acts as a low powered graphics device. Illarion runs by default on this graphics device. That thing tends to do two things: Break OpenGL games (such as Illarion) and overheat. Since your computer contains a NVIDIA Quadro graphics device, you should force Illarion to run on that driver. That will improve your experience a lot. You can do so in the driver of the graphics card (usually accessible by a icon in the task bar) and add the java.exe that is located in the Illarion Installation Directory (default: C:\Program Files\Illarion\bin\java.exe) and that that executable to use the high power NVIDIA graphics device. That will do A LOT.

If you already did so, or it does not help, I need more information regarding your system.

The easiest way to get a detailed report of your entire system (in matters of used hardware, drivers, operating system, etc.) is the DirectX-Diagnostic Application. Just start the application "dxdiag" (you can search for it in the start menu) and have it launch. At the bottom of the dialog there is a button "Save all Information". Do that and send me the file to nitram@illarion.org

Regards,
Nitram
Pugnacious

Post by Pugnacious »

Thank You Nitram!!!! Problem fixed. You are AWESOME!