Problems with the server?

If you found a bug in Illarion or need help ask here. / Wenn Du einen Fehler in Illarion gefunden hast oder Hilfe benötigst, frage hier.

Moderator: Developers

thebigbear

Problems with the server?

Post by thebigbear »

For the past week I have experienced problems in the game. Some days I cannot log in to play. Some days I get an error message about an error with the receiver thread. Other days the game just closes on me without explanation. Occasionally, my avatar is invisible but I can't move or do anything. Sometimes the screen is dark and nothing happens. Sorry I can't provide more info than this--I'm not well versed in computer stuff.

Any help with this?
Achae Eanstray

Re: Problems with the server?

Post by Achae Eanstray »

What has been changed from now when you could play here? http://illarion.org/community/forums/vi ... =3&t=40354
Have you tried uninstalling and re-downloading the game?
thebigbear

Post by thebigbear »

Hmmm...I uninstalled and re-installed the game and for some days now I've had no problems. Last night and tonight I've gotten the "receiver error" message multiple times. The game froze and I had to exit the game. I'm using the same computer since last year with no changes except for the usual updates. Not that it's a real big deal, but I've lost a number of farm field crops to this freeze problem and I came close to a freeze before I went into combat. Any suggestions?
Caswir

Post by Caswir »

I had the same problem a while back. "Technical error in the Receiver thread." I was told it was caused by an unstable network. I ended up getting a new modem and the problem was solved. I guess my connection was too slow. *shrugs*
thebigbear

Post by thebigbear »

Thanks for that, Caswir. I'm not buying new equipment to play this game or any other game. Too many times I'm told the problem is this or the problem is that and frankly it comes down to nobody knows for certain what the problem is. The game people tell me there's no problem with the game--must be my computer. My computer people tell me there's' nothing wrong with my computer--must be something else. Fact is--it's been this way ever since I bought my first computer. *sigh* Guess I'll just go back to books for my primary entertainment. Books rarely, if ever, disappoint me.

Who am I kidding--I'd go crazy without my 'puter and the 'net. *sigh* :(
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

The problem you are describing here point to problems with the internet connection.

There are a couple of reasons that could be responsible for that:
  1. The most likely is the one you can do least about. It is your location on our planet. Due to the distance to the server, and maybe some outdated equipment of you ISP along the way, the connection to the server in Germany is just too slow. There is not much you can do about this, since I think moving to Germany is not among the things you are considering. :wink: Since you said this issue started some time ago and was not around always, there may be changes in your connection that have that effect. Do you have slower connections to any other sites? Any road maintenance going on near by that may caused the ISP to reroute your connection?
  2. The next thing that could be a issue is Software related. At times firewalls or Anti-Maleware applications can cause issues. In the past the Comodo Firewall was reason for a lot of grieve. A little while back Microsoft issued rather big update (June 2016 Patchset) that had the side effect that some firewalls are not detected properly anymore, causing Windows to start it's integrated Firewall. Two firewalls running on the same computer, may cause any number if issues, specially for Applications that require a stable connection like Illarion.
  3. Your personal network infrastructure could be the issue as well. Did any router get replaced or received a new firmware update or anything like this? The firewalls integrated in every router may cause issues like this as well.
That is all that comes to mind right now. If you want you can send me the error log of the client that is located in C:\Users\<YourName>\.illarion\error.log to nitram@illarion.org
But I guess all it says will be that the client lost the connection. But it is worth a shot anyway.

Best regards,
Nitram
thebigbear

Post by thebigbear »

Nitram, I thank you for your input. What you say makes sense and it is something over which I have no control. All the server and ISP business is way over my experience level. All I can say for now is that I am frustrated and angry over my complete lack of control of this situation. Sorry, but no problem with you. I'll just get over it someday.
Nitram
Developer

Post by Nitram »

Hello,

the only diagnostic for locate the issue may be a trace route. You can perform such a trace by opening a command line interface of your computer (just open the start menu and type in cmd). Once the black window opens you type in

Code: Select all

tracert illarion.org
This command will try to map every network step from your computer to the Illarion Server. If your problem is local, you can identify it with this result. If you choose to do so, you can send me the result of the trace route by PM or E-Mail to nitram@illarion.org Please do not post it here.

Best regards,
Nitram